Author Topic: Cosmo VS FF7 :D  (Read 41971 times)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Cosmo VS FF7 :D
« on: 2001-02-02 22:21:00 »
ok, three pages was too much to scroll, so ficedula and srethron, again i present u with a clean slate to eat off  :wink:

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2001-02-07 12:55:00 »
OK, ficedula saint and co check out the dump of the script 1.script, looks like some output to me... http://members.tripod.co.uk/TheSkillster/ff7/script.txt" TARGET=_blank>http://members.tripod.co.uk/TheSkillster/ff7/script.txt
Srethron, the mp3/wma download should work now that tripod are up...

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 2001-02-07 16:47:00 »
Where did you get that file from?

BTW, Cosmo 0.55 and LGP Tools 1.25 now uploaded...

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2001-02-07 16:57:00 »
the file is from inside the magic.lgp file!!!
Why? I guess its kinda outta place there  :D
Good to see regular updates to or Fav' FF7 tools  :D

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-02-07 17:33:00 »
ok heres some early comments about the newer cosmo;
where are the midi definitions stored in the feild file? just as im curious?
There seems to be 2 chocobos listed in the titles for midis combo box  :D
now were moving! intregated p support!! we are moving  :D
oh about that command line translating thingy?

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-02-07 18:22:00 »
Sure, I'll get around to it sometime. Not sure exactly when.

Oh, re: midi definitions: stored just after the text in the level. Seems to be a single byte value (in some cases, anyway). That's how I found it; overwrote it by accident and got the Sephiroth theme playing in every location I edited...

[This message has been edited by ficedula (edited February 07, 2001).]

« Reply #6 on: 2001-02-07 21:46:00 »
Ficedula: See the "Things we know about FF7's file system" thread. I've just started testing the newest versions. So far I'm liking what I see.

The Skillster: I'll try the download again.

[This message has been edited by Srethron Askvelhtnod (edited February 07, 2001).]

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2001-02-07 23:51:00 »
Srethron: Have done.

Skillster: That looks like something written in LISP. My first thought is "what the hell is LISP script doing in FF7?".

J*** H*******

« Reply #8 on: 2001-02-08 00:49:00 »
Message.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2001-02-08 01:51:00 »
Jari : ???
Ficedula & co: I was looking at the decompressed field files, and i found a small section showing the characters that are allowed to be in that location, IE; the characters/NPC/SPRITES that are/can be visable in that level. IE like Cl Ti Cid (was that show? u can have cloud/tifa/cid leading your team in that level, anyone else will crash it...) and things like warning/mist (these are obviosly sprites).
this is located a couple of lines under the header in a decompressed feild file, editing this with the correct values can allow other NPC / players on the screen, but how u gonna put em there is something else...
in some you see frog.0 and frog.1 bat.0 bat.1 (ancient forest, ancnt_1)
Anyone wanna add something else?

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2001-02-08 03:09:00 »
LISP? explain plz

J*** H*******

« Reply #11 on: 2001-02-08 03:49:00 »
Message.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2001-02-08 16:11:00 »
Jari & Fice': more importantly, whats it being used for?  :wink:
Maybe it was for batch convertion of the tim to tex files?

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2001-02-08 18:11:00 »
the lisp files seems to be an output dump left in by mistake it seems to be about a certain level 5 death move: ("/1d/proj/ff7/CG_OBJ/effect_chara/deathlv5/geo/"
must be to convert the graphics formats over or something...
Ficedula: I always wondered what the ff7 characters would look like without garoud shading&lighting  :D

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2001-02-08 18:51:00 »
Very possibly it is a mistake. After all the TXT file in MOVIECAM.LGP is just a DIR listing for the cam files... obviously one or two bits of unused/debug data do get left in sometimes.

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: 2001-02-09 18:36:00 »
Why is the field file full of multiple files with same texts? If you want to edit a scene, you have to edit all the files inside the lgp archieve containing the scene. How do you know what files contain the scene, If you miss even one, It will turn out sooner or later in the text. I'm not doing anything now, so I could go through them all and write some sort of a guide. Has somebody done it already? I could do it, if needed. Replies, please....

[This message has been edited by JOONAS (edited February 15, 2001).]

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2001-02-09 18:44:00 »
nice to see a new face in the tech depo'  :D
no, no one has written a guide (other than the readme that comes with cosmo!), please be my guest and be the first  :wink:.
Yes i agree, several locations DO contain the same text...
But it is only duplicates as far as i know.
to know which scene your gonna edit, open up GAST(available on the main page)and open the field.lgp, now preveiw the locations till u find the one u want to edit (say aeris death scene) then note the file name, and open the same file under cosmo. then edit the dialog. (sometimes in cut scenes (or cpu controlled scenes) the dialog might be in a different location). what i beleive is by deleting all the duplicate text in the field archives we can actually improve game performance (i like that  :D) by making file sizes smaller and making shorter loading times etc.
try it out, look at some locations delete the text of other scenes (make a backup first), and see how it turns out!
good luck (youll need it  :wink:)

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2001-02-09 20:15:00 »
Joonas: Skillster has covered pretty much everything. If you do write a guide, post a link to it on this message board and once we've all agreed it's useful I'll include it in Cosmo. I DO need to make that point clear, you aren't the first person who's asked me that. The dialogue does only need to be changed in ONE place.

Skillster: I've uploaded that text conversion utility you wanted ... try it out and tell me if it's what you meant?

JOONAS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2001-02-09 20:55:00 »
I registered in.
Okay, first of all, I can write a guide.
I'm not so sure about the deleting part, because when I first tried to edit the texts, I managed to find the very first part of the text (the one where Cloud jumps down off the train and Barret says that you should follow him) So I edited it. No change in the text, when I tried. I scanned through possible copies of the text and I found two. I tried each one, and one of them did effect the first line. So I continued editing to the part where they hit the reactor. When I ran the game, Barret says the the line I edited. BUT, when I killed the soldiers and talked to Biggs and the others, the text was the original. So the game must use all these files, taking parts of file no.1 and other parts from file no.2 and so on... So my job is to write a guide. I am not gonna write which parts of the specific file is gonna effect the game. I will group all those files together which are the same, so basically when you wish to edit a scene, you will look it up from the guide and see the filename(s) which to edit. You will have to do the editing first with a text handling program (e.g. Word) and use a copy-and-paste method to throw them into every file which has the same text. That way, when all of the files are the same, the game will show them just like you edited. You COULD just edit one file and copy it as many times as needed, but I have noticed that the filesizes aren't the same (so something could be hiding somewhere in this file and you can't see it with Cosmo, so they aren't all the same, only the text is) Anyways, I'm testing everything out and I'll let you know when I have came up with something. AARGH! My hands are aching. Any comments? Ficedula?

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2001-02-09 21:09:00 »
OK. My experience is this: Lots of location/level files contain text from other locations that isn't used by the game.

So two locations might contain roughly the same text, *but* different parts of that text are used in each level.
So levels A and B contain the same text. Level A contains text that it actually uses plus some other stuff from B. In B, it has the text IT uses (probably the unused text from A) plus some other crap (again, probably the stuff that A uses).

To edit what's said in level A, you ONLY need to edit one file. The level A file. The problem is - you can't work out easily from the speech which location is which, because the text overflows!

My theory is, when they designed some levels, they just copy-n-pasted all the text from another level, to get "stock phrases" like "Save point: Press blahblah" and "Received Potion!" and so on. Then they overwrote the location specific text with the new level's dialogue. However, sometimes there's text left over, when they didn't use all the space. It's only a theory though.

BTW, what I said at the start is only my experience. I probably have looked at less levels than Skillster/Srethron, because I spend most time with Cosmo testing it again and again on the same levels 'til it works perfectly with them. Then I move on to another level and test it with that....

The point being, you could very well find out something about the text I've got wrong.

If you want to write the guide, go ahead. I'd be glad for someone else to do it and save me the work   :)

Oh, I just realised you might not know: Each level file contains ONE location. A location consists of, usually ONE "scrolling screen". So the first location is the train station. That's it. The next is the gateway, and that's all it contains. And so on....
So the text for the train station is in one file (probably with a load of other unused text), the text for the gateway scene ("I don't trust ya, Soldier!") is in another, the text for the entrance into the reactor in a third, etc....

[This message has been edited by ficedula (edited February 09, 2001).]

JOONAS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2001-02-10 00:03:00 »
Got it. I have started doing the guide.
It'll take a while to go through all the files in flevel.lgp, but I'll try to release the first version as soon as I can, and I'll be posting on this forum for updates and progress and all that crap if you're interested.
I'll be back...

[This message has been edited by JOONAS (edited February 09, 2001).]

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2001-02-10 02:44:00 »
i would be excited for any kind of 'guide', it would ease the editing process, and will point out bits of info we didnot know, and also direct us to them ....

JOONAS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2001-02-10 15:31:00 »
After thinking it over, I've decided to start the guide over. I'll be putting the *effective* parts of the file to my guide so you don't have to open Gast every time you want to edit a particular scene. You just look it up from the guide. When I have went through every file in flevel.lgp (it's quite a job), I will post a message here, and I will send it to ficedula by e-mail. If he wants to add it into the zip file of Cosmo, go ahead (I don't wanna make this just for you guys  :D ) Okay I'll be posting my progress. If somebody wants to e-mail me, here's the adress:  [email protected]
BTW,  Does anybody know what are those blackbgc, blackbgi and other BLACK files?

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2001-02-10 16:46:00 »
Some of the black backgraounds are for scenes where the background is black (!).
Scenes such as after cloud falls into the church in the slums, he is talking with his conscience. And other scenes like when tifa seea cloud walking away after the nothern crater incident on disk 2. etc.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2001-02-10 17:04:00 »
JOONAS : The blackbgc, blackbgi and other BLACK files indicate the black backgrounds part of the debug room. You will enter this pages when you try to walk out of a room besides the main debug room in FF7PC. If you really want to try it out, I have some saves in the debug room on my site. http://www.finalfantasyfanatics.net" TARGET=_blank>http://www.finalfantasyfanatics.net