Author Topic: Progress report on the new design  (Read 11804 times)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Progress report on the new design
« on: 2001-10-11 20:19:00 »
Oh well, you know what they say. Work is a good healer.

Anyway, I've completed most of the work on the topic display pages. This is one of the most important (and trickiest) parts of the board, but let me remind you: the real work is to convert the small bits, scattered through-out the board in raw, ugly HTML code. It could take a while, so I thought I'd create a poll for it. :razz:

And before y'all go making polls on your own, poll access is to be restricted to moderators&above only. Any "unauthorized" polls will be deleted on sight. This is partly cause I don't want the board cluttered up with unnecessary polls, and mainly because the poll system isn't exactly integrated into phpBB in a smooth way; to make it look good in the new design, a lot of stuff will have to be re-written. The less polls out there to convert, the better.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #1 on: 2001-10-11 22:46:00 »
Hey Qhimm... Are we going to get a wider range of smiles? The ones we have are good, but I think a wider range would be better.

Thanks!

Sephiroth 3D

"One who seeks knowledge from another person, doesn't learn half as much as the one who seeks knowledge for himself." - Vincent Valentine, The Sephiroth Chronicals, Book 1: Resurrection

[email protected]  
Sephiroth 3D's Final Fantasy (Currently Offline)
Sephiroth 3D's Promised Land

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #2 on: 2001-10-11 22:47:00 »
I was thinking of blatantly stealing all the new smilies from the phpBB2 board ^_^

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #3 on: 2001-10-11 23:21:00 »
That works for me!

Sephiroth 3D

"One who seeks knowledge from another person, doesn't learn half as much as the one who seeks knowledge for himself." - Vincent Valentine, The Sephiroth Chronicals, Book 1: Resurrection

[email protected]  
Sephiroth 3D's Final Fantasy (Currently Offline)
Sephiroth 3D's Promised Land

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-10-12 01:36:00 »
Well, I voted for the second option :wink:
I don't mind the wait.

StrayWings

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-10-12 04:23:00 »
Qhimm - I do have quite a collection of smilies in my libraries  :grin:

The SaiNt - Yea, me too..

Well, maybe you guys have seen this code running around phpBB Boards. This code can make a phpBB Board go like 2x - 4x the normal speed. ::Qhimm's Board is really fast, made this code would make it even faster - or maybe Qhimm already implemented it::

Post this code in the page_header.php file just after the comments line:

Code: [Select]
ob_start("ob_gzhandler");

So the code should be something like this in your page_header.php:

Code: [Select]
ob_start("ob_gzhandler");

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #6 on: 2001-10-12 07:46:00 »
The line is in there, I'm just not sure exactly what it does...  :razz:

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: 2001-10-12 12:59:00 »
Looks like it's connected with gzip. My guess is that it turns on zlib-compression of the output HTML pages. But I don't really have a clue...

StrayWings

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2001-10-12 13:32:00 »
Yup, gzip compression...

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #9 on: 2001-10-12 17:09:00 »
After a quick studying period... this is how gzip works:

The line ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); tells PHP not to send the data directly to the browser, and instead store it in a temporary buffer. This buffer is then sent to the gzip handler which will determine your browser capabilities. If your browser supports gzip compression, the handler will compress the data and send it, otherwise it sends it directly.

Now... what this in fact means is that a lot of my client-side processing efforts could've been for nothing :sad: , since all it does is remove redundant information - just like gzip compression. Oh well, I'm not going to undo all my work *now*... =)

Besides, client-side processing is purrrdy. I just how everyone uses javascript-enabled browsers...

[edited] 2 2001-10-12 18:10

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #10 on: 2001-10-12 17:25:00 »
Gzip is very widely accepted though as it was around as a unix tool around 1970 or so (no I didn't bother to check that) long long before Javascript or even the internet was thought of.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #11 on: 2001-10-12 17:55:00 »
What I was a bit worried about was that my own optimizations lessened the maximum compression level of gzip. Oh well, it would be relatively small.

StrayWings

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2001-10-13 08:21:00 »
Well, even with gzip compression, my phpBB Board is still a bit slow..

I used Flash for the Menu Bar and some of my Board's Buttons. 'post new topic', 'reply', that kinda stuff..

Is it because of my Flash stuff or my host? - host.sk

Qhimm, any tips in making my phpBB board faster? You did mentioned that you've made your own optimizations, care to share a bit of the greatness?  :wink:

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #13 on: 2001-10-13 12:11:00 »
My own optimizations are extremely design-specific. And no, I'm not sharing my design  :wink:

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2001-10-13 17:13:00 »
Straywings: I think it's Host.sk. They're just about the best host ever, the only problem is that they're kinda turning into another Xoom. They're taking on too many people and now their server's clogged up. I think it's slow for me because I live in another country, I dunno.

StrayWings

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2001-10-13 23:15:00 »
Qhimm - :grin:

eerrrr - Yea..it's sad you know~

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2001-10-22 23:07:00 »
You know, I hate this host as the messageboard host. It's ulgy!

StrayWings

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2001-10-23 03:29:00 »
Joey, refering to th phpBB?

::Qhimm, the phpBB is ok :smile: Good choice if you ask me, besides the UBB :wink: Well Joey, it is fast and easy to asemble and edit::

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2001-10-23 16:12:00 »
I quite like phpBB, it's got a lot of cool functions, and is very fast. It looks kinda messy for some reason though, I'll just wait for Qhimm to put up his design, I cant wait. :smile:

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #19 on: 2001-10-24 06:40:00 »
Allways when I hit reload here on forum, i get reeal mess in header of screen. It was not happenning on old forum.

Sample:
c = false; stprompt = false; helpstat = true; } else if (swtch == 0) { helpstat = false; stprompt = false; basic = true; } else if (swtch == 2) { helpstat = false; basic = false; stprompt = true; } } function email() { if (helpstat) { alert("Email TagnTurns an email address into a mailto hyperlink.nUSE: [email protected]n"); } else if (basic) { AddTxt=""; AddText(AddTxt); } else { txt=prompt("Email address.","[email protected]"); if (txt!=null) { if (txt!=null) {

and so on and so on.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #20 on: 2001-10-24 09:13:00 »
oooh, I recognize that one. That's poor browser handling actually, the code is javascript and should never be visible to the user like that :wink:

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2001-10-26 05:18:00 »
I don't see it on my browser. Maybe you do not have MSVM.

Anonymous

« Reply #22 on: 2001-10-26 06:34:00 »
Yo Qhimm, maybe I've seen all your source code so far :smile: there was a lots more else than that.
Have to look into browser history.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #23 on: 2001-10-26 07:28:00 »
I noticed it quite a few times, but I haven't seen it for a few days. I guess with it was fixed, or my browser finally reloaded the page and got the whole deal.

*edit* Woah! Spoke too soon! I just got a whole page full of javascript when I posted this message!!

Sephiroth 3D

Damn broken HD... I'll be up and running tomorrow. (I hope.)

[edited] 135 2001-10-26 08:32

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2001-11-02 10:06:00 »
I got this message when trying to vote on the above poll Qhimm.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: sql_error() in /home/nextff/public_html/qhimm/polls.php on line 64