Author Topic: Getting "failed to load" errors with the NPC reconstruction patch? Here's a fix  (Read 11651 times)

Aali

• View Profile
Are you one of the many users who just can't seem to get any of these "char.lgp-repacking" patches to work?
Followed the instructions to the letter and yet it still wont work?

Here's how to fix it, and why it happens:

The dirty, quick fix:
Open the control panel, navigate to regional and language options, set the "Standards and format" setting to "English (United states)", reboot (UPDATE: reboot may or may not be neccesary), create a new char.lgp archive from the patched files

Why this happens:
Some locales sort file names differently from the US "standard", for example, in my case i had my locale set to Swedish, this makes windows treat V and W the same when sorting file names (which is insanely stupid)
Now, i dont know why, but apparently LGP tools does the same thing. Ficedula, if you're reading this, FIX IT  :-P
That, in turn makes the "Error checking" AKA quick lookup table in the .lgp file incorrect, because the entries that contain V and W are all out of order in the TOC.

Oh and while you shouldn't have to, you may have to set your location to United States as well, i just set both and it worked.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-21 19:31:23 by Aali »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Nice find. Oh, and welcome to the board :)

Borde

• View Profile
My god... I can't belive windows behaves in such a stupid way.
Thanks for your adition Aali. Sure you've made happy several people arround here.

Aali

• View Profile
it made me very happy, thats for sure

now if i could just fix those random crashes i've been getting, ff7 would be perfect.. again  :roll:

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Random? Any specific moment they occur?

Aali

• View Profile
it seems to occur just as it tries to enter a battle (the most common cause), but it has also happened while switching from the battle to the exp/ap screen (happened once, after beating APS)

i dont know for sure but i *think* it has happened in a field-to-field transition as well

using the high res patch and ff7music right now, but it seems to happen on a clean install too
which is kindof odd, because all of the above events cause a music transition (which suggests ff7music is to blame)

dziugo

• View Profile
Battle swirl fix for the crashes which occur while entering the battle. As for the other ones... Not too soon :)

dziugo

Aali

• View Profile
now thats odd, first time i tried it, it would crash at _every single battle_  :|
but after i restored the backup and patched it again, it worked fine

anyways, thats great, thanks alot man

Luctus

Or, if you for some reason don't want to change your locale, you can instead use the ugly hack I wrote to rebuild the corrupt part of the lgp file.

Aali

• View Profile
i was unaware of that fix, and well, it seems alot of others were, too
but hey, if it works, its somewhat cleaner (no need to touch system settings)
what it all comes down to though is that ficedula needs to fix LGPtools :-P

miracle.flame

• ^_^
    • View Profile
Man you can't imagine how thankful I am that you discovered this regional crap!

I was losing my hope already.

THANKS!

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
Do not ressurrect dead topics.

- Alhexx