Author Topic: FF7 sensible to Gzip wich version...  (Read 4682 times)

_Ombra_

• View Profile
    • http://www.sadnescity.it
FF7 sensible to Gzip wich version...
« on: 2007-01-23 14:38:13 »
I haven't been messing around with KERNEL.BIN and SCENE.BIN for a while and i decided to help Salk mod something in the SCENE.BIN. For some reasons, i used the same Gzip version i used when me and my team translated FF7 and the game kept crashing. The version is the 1.2.4 (pretty old one). Since it didn't work i compared the files with an hex editor and the compression is not as efficient as it should be... but i really don't know why, cause back then it used to work flawlessly.

So guys... which fre****n version of the Gzip do i have to use? Newer ones are out of question.

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: FF7 sensible to Gzip wich version...
« Reply #1 on: 2007-01-23 14:54:03 »
Are you using this as a CLI program?
Well I think you might be better off using ZLIB and make your own tool.

I haven't considered making a compression tool yet.

If you have the PS1 version. Try decompressing CLOUD.LZS and then recompress it.  You will have to deal with the file size information at the beginning of the file. After that compare the 2 files  use this as a test to find a compressor that gives exactly the same size and byte information.  That is my thougt at least.

As I said you may want to use ZLIB and make a semi costum tool.  I'm not sure what features of ZLIB will get you identical compression, so you will have to twiddle with it just like GZIP.

Cyb

_Ombra_

• View Profile
    • http://www.sadnescity.it
« Reply #2 on: 2007-01-24 17:44:23 »
I'll give it a shot then but i remembre that it was something like:
gzip -n -9 filename

This with version 1.2.4 but now it doesn't work... i'll have to look at it

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-01-28 07:43:43 »
Thanks for your help, _Ombra_!!!  :wink:

RED X

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-10 15:18:54 »
Hi! Just to ask where can i get the CLI or ZLIB program? I'm thinking to do something with the kernel.bin file.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 2007-09-11 01:27:11 »
Hi! Just to ask where can i get the CLI or ZLIB program? I'm thinking to do something with the kernel.bin file.

CLI == Command Line Interface. It's not a program, it's what you would call a  "dos prompt". It's an interface with no windows or buttons or anything. It's a command you type into the computer.

ZLIB == Zip Libiary. It's not a program, it's just a bunch of functions that link into a program you write. You might know it in the windows world as a ".dll file."

you can find zlib here
http://www.zlib.net/

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-10-19 09:22:09 »
"Pure" ZLib files aren't compatible with FF7. I've checked zlib when I was programming SceneFix, and it didn't produce files readable by game. You need files, that contain GZIP header at the beginning:

Code: [Select]
1F 8B 08 00
« Last Edit: 2007-10-19 10:25:35 by M4v3R »