Author Topic: Question about the final battle of the game (1 on 1 with sephiroth) vid added  (Read 38643 times)

ff7rules

• View Profile
Thanks so-------ooo much man it worked!!! It works on the PSX version. Also is it the same place everytime for each boss?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Yes, it always puts the new enemy into the same place.

ff7rules

• View Profile
So it will do it for all the enemys in that scene then?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
No. There are up to four formations in each scene (most of which are never used in the game), each with 20 bytes of battle setup data in this section of the file. Putting an ID in at 0x0A will only make the enemies appear after the first formation in the file is beaten. You can tell what the formations are by looking at the data from 0x0118 - 0x0297 (they are in the same order in both parts of the file. To make enemies appear after the other formations in the file are beaten, you have to put IDs in their battle setup section.

So, the two bytes at 0x0A of the file are the formation that appears after the first formation defined in the file is beaten, the bytes at 0x01E are the one that appears after the second formation in the file is beaten, 0x032 for the third formation in the file and 0x046 for the last one. You can put in the IDs of formations that are in the same file as well; this is actually done in scene 116, which has the Hundred Gunner and the Heligunner (IIRC); in the setup for the Hundred Gunner formation that is used there is the ID for the Heligunner fight, so the Heligunner turns up when the Hundred Gunner is beaten.

I fear that I might not be explaining this very well, so experiment and see what happens.
« Last Edit: 2009-02-13 18:38:19 by Leighos Kudistos Megistos »

ff7rules

• View Profile
No. There are up to four formations in each scene (most of which are never used in the game), each with 20 bytes of battle setup data in this section of the file. Putting an ID in at 0x0A will only make the enemies appear after the first formation in the file is beaten. You can tell what the formations are by looking at the data from 0x0118 - 0x0297 (they are in the same order in both parts of the file. To make enemies appear after the other formations in the file are beaten, you have to put IDs in their battle setup section.

So, the two bytes at 0x0A of the file are the formation that appears after the first formation defined in the file is beaten, the bytes at 0x01E are the one that appears after the second formation in the file is beaten, 0x032 for the third formation in the file and 0x046 for the last one. You can put in the IDs of formations that are in the same file as well; this is actually done in scene 116, which has the Hundred Gunner and the Heligunner (IIRC); in the setup for the Hundred Gunner formation that is used there is the ID for the Heligunner fight, so the Heligunner turns up when the Hundred Gunner is beaten.

I fear that I might not be explaining this very well, so experiment and see what happens.

Nah you explained yourself well, i understand what you mean. Thats good then because it would be pretty bad if it was for every scene it would have to be a one off thing.

ff7rules

• View Profile
Sorry to double post again but i found this too funny not to post. Well i guess this is what i get for just playing around with stuff i know nothing about. Tried to change Sephiroths general counter and well look what happened! Not what i wanted to see!

good job i backed it up haha.
« Last Edit: 2009-02-13 20:51:14 by ff7rules »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
The worst I've ever done is make the game freeze up...

ff7rules

• View Profile
Yeah its first time anything like THAT ever happened to me. When i edit the General Counter move of sephiroth what can i edit it to just FF? What i want to do is make it so cloud doesn't counter attack because Sephiroth now has 9999 HP,  and its scripted for the battle to end as soon as the counter attack is done.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
This is where you should be changing things:

If you do this, beating the first formation (against Guard Scorion) will take you to formation 01 6c (Air Buster).

This is what you meant by 0x0A and 0x0B! I thought you meant that offset of the record, not the absolute address in the scene. It has been updated in the wiki now. I'm glad you clarified this. :)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Yes  :-P

And I see that some information about formations has been found as well...

ff7rules

• View Profile
This is where you should be changing things:

If you do this, beating the first formation (against Guard Scorion) will take you to formation 01 6c (Air Buster).

This is what you meant by 0x0A and 0x0B! I thought you meant that offset of the record, not the absolute address in the scene. It has been updated in the wiki now. I'm glad you clarified this. :)

Yeah thats what was confusing me too untill i saw that picture. I had no idea what to do i assumed it was where the background was loaded, well how wrong was i haha. I have another question. How do i find out the battle IDs for say, Cactuer so i can have the encounter where ever i want? I looked on the PC version (which i recently purchased cost me £40 off Ebay!) and found a battle ID in the encounters bit in Meteor but what can i do with this?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I don' know for certain. When encounters happen on the field screen, it's possible to find the ID by looking in meteor (that's how I found the IDs for my mod). However there is no way to find the corresponding information for the world map AFAIK.

Nevertheless, it should be possible to find the ID for Cactuar by finding the scene file he is in an looking at the formation data there and finding a nearby scene with some formation IDs that are known (since the formation IDs are in the order in which they appear in the scene.bin, and nearly every file has four formations). Ultimate Weapon in Mideel has a formation ID of 0118 and is in scene71. Cactuar is in scene65 and is the first formation in that scene, so if I counted correctly his ID would be 0100.

And it was!

ff7rules

• View Profile
I don' know for certain. When encounters happen on the field screen, it's possible to find the ID by looking in meteor (that's how I found the IDs for my mod). However there is no way to find the corresponding information for the world map AFAIK.

Nevertheless, it should be possible to find the ID for Cactuar by finding the scene file he is in an looking at the formation data there and finding a nearby scene with some formation IDs that are known (since the formation IDs are in the order in which they appear in the scene.bin, and nearly every file has four formations). Ultimate Weapon in Mideel has a formation ID of 0118 and is in scene71. Cactuar is in scene65 and is the first formation in that scene, so if I counted correctly his ID would be 0100.

And it was!

AWESOME! glad to know your theory worked! I wonder would this work for every monster in the game. If so this could get very interesting, im gonna try now since im adding Cactuar as an optional boss aswell as the random encounter.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Small snag.

Turns out that's the Cactuar from the Corel Prison and not the Cactuer from the world map (which, I assume, is the one you'll want to fight). The ID for the latter is 00 E4

ff7rules

• View Profile
Small snag.

Turns out that's the Cactuar from the Corel Prison and not the Cactuer from the world map (which, I assume, is the one you'll want to fight). The ID for the latter is 00 E4

Wait thats the only Cactuar enemy in the scenes so it must be the same 1 used on the world map.
Thanks for the ID code.
« Last Edit: 2009-02-14 18:48:12 by ff7rules »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
No, the one on the world map is spelt with an er instead of ar and he's in scene58. I only found out myself half an hour ago.

ff7rules

• View Profile
No, the one on the world map is spelt with an er instead of ar and he's in scene58. I only found out myself half an hour ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njwlhDMV60A So hes the one on the world map then, hes that one. So wheres the one in corel prison :S Just a thought you can only go in the prison at Corel on Disc 1 yeah? you can't access Cactuar Island untill disc 2. what if its the same one but because you can't access it on disc 1? You would never know because you can't get on the Island untill disc 2. I Might test this and spawn the highwind on disc 1 with gameshark codes and see if i get my modded beast of a cactuar on the Island. Also what code edits the enemys size or is that unknown?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
The Cactuar in Corel Prison (about whom I'd completely forgotten) is also much weaker than the one on the World Map.

The one in this video is definitely the one from scene58, and I'd imagine that the size increase might have something to do with Cait Sith's "Transform" attack, since he starts off normal size and then gets bigger, but maybe not.  gjoerulv did something similar with the Cactuer, maybe you could ask him how he did it?

ff7rules

• View Profile
The Cactuar in Corel Prison (about whom I'd completely forgotten) is also much weaker than the one on the World Map.

The one in this video is definitely the one from scene58, and I'd imagine that the size increase might have something to do with Cait Sith's "Transform" attack, since he starts off normal size and then gets bigger, but maybe not.  gjoerulv did something similar with the Cactuer, maybe you could ask him how he did it?

I found the other Cactuar its in scene 65 so that clears that up. You think Gjoeruly would mind if i asked him?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I doubt he'd mind; I assume that what he did was the same as what SaintDragon666 did.

ff7rules

• View Profile
Ok thanks ill ask him if giving him transform doesn't work although im sure it will. Do you have a list of the Battle IDs or know where i can get 1? Also im gonna start work on rescripting Sephiroth soon i think i now have a vague idea what im doing after looking at wiki. Im just not sure for certain where sephiroths General Counter bit is. i know its located at offset  0x04 General Counter but im not certain which byte controls clouds counter attack, and i just wanna say dude thanks for helping me and answering all my questions.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Would that I could find a list of formation IDs! I had to search for battle opcodes in meteor  :-o

Have a look at Sephiroth's AI with scene edit. It's not perfect and it doesn't let you edit AI (that still has to be done with a hex editor :cry:), but it's useful for finding things like this.

ff7rules

• View Profile
Would that I could find a list of formation IDs! I had to search for battle opcodes in meteor  :-o

Have a look at Sephiroth's AI with scene edit. It's not perfect and it doesn't let you edit AI (that still has to be done with a hex editor :cry:), but it's useful for finding things like this.

Wow...... This has saved me loads of time! Do i just edit it in wordpad or whatever then dump it back in? Also how do you find the opcodes for the battles on the world map in meteor? I can view the field files after splitting and all the dialog and maps. will the battle IDs be the same for both the PSX and PC version im guessing so.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
You still have to edit everything manually with a hex editor like you did before, I'm afraid. That includes changing all the pointers as well (which is a pain).

Meteor can't do anything with the world map; AFAIK very little is known about how the world map works.

ff7rules

• View Profile
You still have to edit everything manually with a hex editor like you did before, I'm afraid. That includes changing all the pointers as well (which is a pain).

Meteor can't do anything with the world map; AFAIK very little is known about how the world map works.

Ah well maybe one day. Yeah editing them manually is hard work but very rewarding if you get the result you want im hoping to have him using 1 more attack than ususal and him not dying when cloud counter attacks or removing the counter attack altogether. I heard theres a glitch with Sephiroth that you can't change his HP im guessing this because its scripted to be that much.