Author Topic: what happened to the "old" FF7 demo?  (Read 39823 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to the "old" FF7 demo?
« Reply #25 on: 2009-06-27 22:58:00 »
Covarr:

From what I've gathered from your tutorial thread, these are the worst/most common issues;

1. FF7Music does not support newer winamp plugins (would be fixed, at least temporarily, by a replacement)
2. Virtual Store/insufficient privilegies is screwing people over (this is already an issue for my driver aswell)
3. Original MIDI won't shut up (already fixed with my driver, just hasn't been released yet)

I don't see how a replacement could make this situation much better.
That said, I have plans of making a plugin system for the OpenGL driver, separating movies, music and maybe even graphics from the "core" FF7 interoperability. This would allow me to setup (public) development environments for parts of it and perhaps even lure some sucker in to do my bidding, err I mean help me. :evil:
There are other problems. Sometimes FF7Music arbitrarily won't work at all. It throws a tantrum when you try to use a directory with a space in it. It doesn't handle starting and stopping correctly, frequently continuing a song where it left off when it should start it over, and vice versa, sometimes going so far as to restart a song when you change screens.

Jari

« Reply #26 on: 2009-06-27 23:09:37 »
Since it's a demo cd (of a VERY early FFVII) released with magazines... I figure it should be safe to upload.  Right?

Yes, it has been released before - even on the interwebs AFAIK, and I really, really doubt that the reason for it not being available anymore would be a request from the right holders - it's just been pruned because it's so bloody old and runs on hardware not even available anymore.

Upload it all you want.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-06-27 23:11:20 »
Contributing to the community  :-)

!

There are other problems. Sometimes FF7Music arbitrarily won't work at all. It throws a tantrum when you try to use a directory with a space in it. It doesn't handle starting and stopping correctly, frequently continuing a song where it left off when it should start it over, and vice versa, sometimes going so far as to restart a song when you change screens.

Sigh. I can attest to this, especially the last one  :cry: For me the music changes nearly every time I change screen (i.e. go from one screen to another where the same music is played and is supposed to continue). Hearing only the first few seconds of a song gets really annoying after a while. I will make sweet love to anyone that makes a patch or plugin that makes the music play properly.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009-06-27 23:14:48 »
I have the issue with the starting and stopping incorrectly and or at random times.

Once i loaded it up and nothing played -.-

I thought it was just cause i was in Win7, guess not

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-06-27 23:15:49 »
The only issues I've noticed is that it's looping the fanfare and inn music at some places when it shouldn't, and that it has a problem with spaces in the search paths you specify (which I handled by putting my music in the ficedula directory, which is automatically scanned without having to specify any path)

Anything else I can only imagine being caused by misconfiguration and/or other broken software interacting with it.

But FF7Music is a total hack and an abomination that *should* be replaced with a better solution, I think we can all agree on that one.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-06-27 23:18:17 »

Sigh. I can attest to this, especially the last one  :cry: For me the music changes nearly every time I change screen (i.e. go from one screen to another where the same music is played and is supposed to continue). Hearing only the first few seconds of a song gets really annoying after a while. I will make sweet love to anyone that makes a patch or plugin that makes the music play properly.
Check my post in the FF7Music Sticky.  It's probably still the most recent one.  There is about a .2 second lag, and everytime you start the game the music will pick up exactly where it left off.  But good God it is 100x better than listening to the first 10 seconds over and over and over.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-27 23:24:17 by obesebear »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-06-27 23:20:57 »
Ah, I'll give that a try  :wink:

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009-06-27 23:52:01 »
Contributing to the community  :-)
Ah, sweet PSX demo. This was fun. I don't remember the font being like this, though, or Barret saying "heck" at any point ever.

Too bad it's not the Mt. Corel PC demo, though.

everstrong

« Reply #33 on: 2009-06-28 04:40:38 »
Here is the Mt. Corel PC demo. It is very buggy though, I couldn't get it to run on Windows XP.

Hope this helps.

http://depositfiles.com/files/4tpe8s4i6

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-06-28 05:29:37 »
Yeah, I can't get it working on Win7 x64 either.

Though I imagine a virtual machine with 98 would be able to do it.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-06-28 15:36:45 »
I wonder if the problem stems from already having the official one installed?  EDIT-Nope it doesn't

My 3dfx voodoo drivers won't install because I'm running 64-bit and it uses 16-bit??  WTF?  I didn't even know 16-bit existed.

I'm almost tempted to see if this will run on my PSP running Win98

Also, I discovered this in the files.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-28 15:45:26 by obesebear »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009-06-28 18:38:49 »
I dunno how many Windows 98 were made, But i have Windows 98 SE from when y dad upgraded from 95, Will that work to run this in a VM?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009-06-28 18:42:58 »
98SE should probably run anything that 98 will run.

The more difficult bit will be emulating a 3dfx card.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-06-28 19:05:11 »
virtualbox does that just fine. Well for XP.. dunno about something so old

It works! (well it boots)
It's at the first boot screen and not moving. Is it because i have an AMD processor..? or because i allocated 1GB of RAM to it?

EDIT: yeah just keeps freezing on me at startup, won't let me go to Windows, thought my settings were to high, but at the bare minimum, still freezes ..
« Last Edit: 2009-06-28 20:02:00 by hellbringer616 »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-06-29 17:01:26 »
Yeah, i tried it, but it just crashes and asks me to send error report every time.

Also, do NOT try to replace the demo exe with the one from the retail game. I tried it, thinking that the modified exe would help, but it just locked my computer up.

On a side note, i got that picture of cloud as a poster on my wall.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-06-29 22:37:11 »
Be careful installing this Mt Corel demo, it wrecks your FF7 registry entries, and you have to reinstall the final version.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009-06-30 01:44:51 »
Be careful installing this Mt Corel demo, it wrecks your FF7 registry entries, and you have to reinstall the final version.

Crap, i didn't test the full game until i read this post just now, and it screwed it up.
Gotta reinstall now...

EDIT:

God damn, now it gets an error with Aali's Opengl driver.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-30 02:01:36 by bloodshot »

Jari

« Reply #42 on: 2009-06-30 02:38:44 »
Clear the registry entries by hand and then reinstall?

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-06-30 14:46:21 »
Clear the registry entries by hand and then reinstall?

Actually, it works right if you uninstall the demo then reinstall the game.

I backed up my game files and mods, and everything seems okay now.

Qhimm copycat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009-07-01 00:29:59 »
Shaddapp!  I am the boss around here, and I say to stop replying to this thread.

Jari

« Reply #45 on: 2009-07-01 00:32:16 »
So, which one of the grudge holding, banned ex-members would you be, oh-soon-to-be-banned-again-member?

Qhimm copycat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-07-01 00:43:45 »
What are you talking about?  Don't you respect my authority?  This is your last warning before I ban you!

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009-07-01 05:00:32 »
Hmm a person must really have no life if they have to come back to a forum just to "WIND PEOPLE UP."

What a sad lonely Seifer. Ummm, question.... Are you moving in with your mother? You seem to the kind of person who fits the stereotypical bill of the 40 year old who sits in his mom's basement and touches himself to "slutty video game girls."

Jari

« Reply #48 on: 2009-07-01 05:02:47 »
It's not Seifer. This is a much older grudge.

UltraRamsus

« Reply #49 on: 2009-07-10 07:58:13 »
What happened to the link Everstrong posted? :( Can anyone reupload it?  :-D