Author Topic: One teeny tiny question  (Read 7576 times)

ScottMcTony

• View Profile
One teeny tiny question
« on: 2010-04-16 01:11:02 »
How's Aeris's name being pronounced? Although I don't care for Square Enix's later decision that it was properly Aerith, and also don't care for the idea that it's more correct as a direct translation (it's about equally correct, especially when you consider Japanese doesn't have the th sound), I don't mind people who do prefer Aerith, but, um, it sort of sounds like ass saying it out loud. Even if I'd never heard Aeris, it would sound like a fat guy with a lisp trying to say Aeris to me, seriously.

idl12

• View Profile
Re: One teeny tiny question
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-16 01:23:56 »
hmm.. was that a fat joke, me no like fat jokes....

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-16 01:54:54 »
AIR-ith (or iss for you unwilling to conform).   I'm saddened you have trouble pronouncing such a simple word  :(

ScottMcTony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-16 02:14:56 »
I... What? I'm asking how it's going to be pronounced in the VA for this project, since Aerith sounds like ass when said out loud, as far as I'm concerned.
It probably won't be what I'm hoping, but I may as well ask.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-16 02:18:53 »
I'm pretty sure it was decided to go with "Aeris". I could be wrong, though.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-17 23:35:28 »
I'm pretty sure it was decided to go with "Aeris". I could be wrong, though.
[sigh] It's so ignorant to stick to a blatant mistranslation. If you search the ff7.exe file with a hex editor, you'll actually find that it's spelled with a 'th' everywhere except for the default character name string.

Soul

• "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-19 01:13:52 »
hmm.. this is just a theory guys, according to my observation, (not really a the professional type), in japanese, they will pronounce it as "Aeris". and "Aerith" in english. just like the name "Sephiroth". when dubbed in japanese, the name "Sephiroth" will turn to "Sephiros". but in english, its still pronounced as "Sephiroth"..  ;)

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-04-19 14:12:32 »
The reason  th is not pronounced in Japan is simply because they do not have that sound.  Aerith, Behemoth, Death (desu), Sephiroth are all pronounced with an S in Japan, and are correctly pronounced with the th intact.

Aerith comes from the english word Earth, and although it sounds like a lisp and not a very good name compared to Aeris...that is the name.

People have to get away from this hatred to change no matter how blatant the mistranslation.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-19 14:16:49 by Colonel Ramsay »

ScottMcTony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-04-19 20:16:06 »
Actually I was under the impression that it can become th or su, which is why I said equally correct, even though that would actually make it become Aerisu, which sounds silliest of all, but it's not a stretch to imagine the u just being dropped. My mention of the lack of a th sound in the Japanese language was pretty meaningless though I don't know why I brought that up. In any case, I'm more inclined now to think it was a simple mistake based on titeguy's observation, and even though it sounds nothing like earth really, I certainly don't find it too annoying that I couldn't rapidly get used to Aerith.
And if Opine is correct, then I definitely consider that a phonetic improvement, at least in the bland western accents that I imagine most or all of the VA will be in.

Masterofpuppets

« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-22 18:18:55 »
ive always pronounced it air-reez, but like you said square enix changed it

Thanks for the necropost. Locked and warned.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-23 01:07:43 by obesebear »