Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3021663 times)

Kalil

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #4675 on: 2019-06-18 19:04:54 »
Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you a lot for your work :) this mod is amazing.

I'm having a problem, though. I've installed just The Reunion and Remako 1.0, and I checked the database, but I didn't find anything similar.

Basically, some dialogues are not well aligned, and some letters go on a new line (usually, punctuaction).

I've got some example screens:

Is this a common error, or have I done something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: 2019-06-18 23:43:46 »
None of these issues are related to The Reunion.

Please take them all to 7H thread.  I don't want pestering with bugs caused by that mod.

To be honest, this 7h stuff has to stop.  I'm seriously considering R06's compatibility with 7th Heaven.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-18 23:50:21 by DLPB »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #4677 on: 2019-06-19 01:49:53 »
Remako and Reunion are mods. 7H is a tool, so they're not really related. Plus, Remako is not included in Catalog 2.0, so it's not something I'd offer help in since I haven't touched it either.

The reason you're getting all these inquiries is because people are publishing guides on Steam using your mod alongside it, but if the installation doesn't go correctly, they come here looking for answers.

This is somewhat of a result of today's society being spoon fed everything for free and skipping the whole learning process. Many of today's new users don't have clue about the games file structure and how to mod it.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: 2019-06-19 02:55:02 »
Many of today's new users don't have clue.
FTFY

In all seriousness, it seems to me that the biggest hiccup is in the order of execution... As a PC'97 player, I found that the order of install has to be FF7 - R05c - SAVE THE RESULTING EXE!!! - 7H Converter - 7H pointed back at the *saved* EXE.  Steam apparently reverses R05c and 7HCon, or something else changed that the converter doesn't know how to take into account, and hence the problems.

Meanwhile, I'll just kick back and practice Tifa's slots at a *real* 60fps (which is a heck of a lot harder on bare metal than it is inside an 30fps-limited VM!).

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #4679 on: 2019-06-19 06:44:42 »
Let's keep it simple: this thread is not for support.

All issues or support request should be posted in the section "Troubleshooting".

Peacemillian

• View Profile
« Reply #4680 on: 2019-06-21 05:55:16 »
+1 towards removing/fixing the menu lag caused by Menu Enhancement.

It really makes a big difference to how responsive the game feels, especially considering the dozens of hours you have to put into it.

Unfortunately you cant play the re-translation without it due to all the broken dialogue choices.

Heres hoping it is fixable without totally rewriting the entire mod.

Cheers

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: 2019-06-21 08:12:16 »
It's not a bug; it's not a problem. - and creating new sock puppet accounts in the hope of forcing my hand isn't going to change anything.

All this does is annoy me and distract me from getting the mod out.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-21 14:49:57 by DLPB »

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: 2019-06-21 19:48:50 »
+1 towards removing/fixing the menu lag caused by Menu Enhancement.

It really makes a big difference to how responsive the game feels, especially considering the dozens of hours you have to put into it.

Unfortunately you cant play the re-translation without it due to all the broken dialogue choices.

You really need to stop this crap and making dupe accounts.

Heres hoping it is fixable without totally rewriting the entire mod.

Cheers

Just a Username

• View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: 2019-06-23 11:03:21 »
I'm just going to give you my support despite the complaints DLPB.
You're giving this retranslation to us free of charge and I'm grateful for that. I'm willing to wait however long it takes.

Peacemillian

• View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: 2019-06-24 01:45:53 »
I'm not a sock puppet, just someone who heard about the retranslation recently and wanted to give it ago. I'm sure you get bs complaints a lot and that's why your on the defensive so much.

I respect the work you've put into the mod, it was just a suggestion that's all, one that others have clearly put forward before me.

Rjenyawd

• A bowling ball, dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: 2019-06-24 04:43:13 »
Speaking of griping over something small, I still cannot stand "Summon" being truncated to "Sum" in the battle command menu. Yes, the menu overhaul mod is great otherwise, and yes I understand sacrifices had to be made. But I can't abide it. I've tried. "Sum" is just plain ugly and, as a FF7 purist, never something I can get used to.

But I won't be an ass and ask you to change your entire mod around for my sake. However, I would very much  like to know if there will be any tools available to change Sum back to Summon myself when R06 launches. To shrink or replace the text, or resize the command menu, or whatever.

Ooph. I'm right there with you on the abbreviation gripe wagon. (in a universal sense, not specifically to their use in The Reunion). A suggestion to getting around this is by, after installing DLPB's translation, manually edit the kernel file and change the "Sum" text to a less verbose synonym of "summon" yourself. If you recall, FF4 used "Call" for it's "summon" command, and I've always been fond of "Evoke" when I fiddle around with those files. It's been a hot minute since I've prodded around under FF7's hood, but I don't remember the Kernel editor being difficult to use. 

...as an inquisitive aside, DLPB, *why* won't the "Summon" text fit in the new textbox? It's still 6 characters, just like "Attack" or "W-Item".  Is it a spacing thing with the double "m"'s that pushes the text too far? I ask, because if that's the issue,  I might be able to whip up a font file fix that could incorporate double "m"'s (or similar problem phrases) into their own singular 'letters/characters'. Similar to how snes modders put the "-aga" nomenclature for magic upgrades back into FF 4/5/6.   

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: 2019-06-24 05:54:57 »
Attack
Summon

Can't see that they are the same size.

Darkorth

• View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: 2019-06-24 06:25:09 »
There are monospaced fonts that have the same length no matter what characters are in

Attack
Summon

So a font edit would probably be helpful

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: 2019-06-24 11:26:09 »
There are monospaced fonts that have the same length no matter what characters are in

Attack
Summon

So a font edit would probably be helpful

A font edit won't be helpful.

1. It changes the classic font, which is not my intention
2. Changing the font takes an enormous amount of work as boxes and displays need to be manually hex edited. The spacing table also needs to be updated.
3. Monospaced fonts end up with certain words being longer than they otherwise would be.  Not to mention small letters together look silly.
4. The dialogue font and the battle font are the same - so that would need addressing as well.
5. The battle command box would need to be wider and would then obscure information I want displaying.  It would also look ridiculous being that wide. 

And all to make Summon fit?  Again - saying something and doing something are two different things.  I'm the one who'll spend weeks making it work (and the end result will cause 5 more issues).  And I'm trying to keep the game as close to the original as I can - so changing font is a no no.

This is the reason I stopped accepting any recommendations.  It's not nice having to keep writing responses like this explaining everything - even why Summon won't fit and why the font isn't being changed.  :roll:

I spent a very long time on this and I looked at all possibilities. The abbreviation is the lesser evil.

If you really want to make the change, learn how to hex edit, learn the tools available here, and become a modder.  I've nothing against you editing our work and releasing a mod with full credit.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-24 11:39:06 by DLPB »

Darkorth

• View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: 2019-06-24 11:51:06 »
I'm not saying you shoud do it, for god's sake you have enough put on yourself, you do you, and those who enjoy it will thank you for it

I mentioned that in case Rjenyawd wanted to whip up a font mod that could be applied on top of your mod as he was mentioning he thinks it can be done (and again if he feels like it, i'm not going to start telling anybody what to do, you all set your own goals)

Also if you want my opinion if you feel stressed about answering recommendations, maybe you should just not address them and focus only on problem reports (actual problems like crashes and the likes) and flat out ignore petty requests

That helped me in my professional life as developer so far

EDIT: Although I am not using the Reunion at the moment because I am too stupid to make it work with remako I decided to drop you some cash to support your effort
« Last Edit: 2019-06-24 11:55:40 by Darkorth »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: 2019-06-24 12:06:26 »
Ignoring doesn't get you too far either tbh.  Then you come across as ignorant like you aren't reading replies.  But I guess my current approach is even worse.

Rest assured, I thought about the choices I made - and I do continually think over things :)

I also appreciate your contribution.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-24 12:08:12 by DLPB »

kelberot

• View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: 2019-06-25 22:58:27 »
Hey, first post here. Love the mod, I can't see myself playing without it, however using in conjuction with New Threat is making the random encounters in shinra HQ bug out, is there anything I can do to fix this other than disabling NT?

any random encounter on floor 68 will result in a crash and on floor 67 any random encounter will bring up the turks who will take no action, forcing me to alt f4 out of it, this only happens when using both mods at the same time (Reunion being installed last)
« Last Edit: 2019-06-25 23:06:40 by kelberot »

Melancholy

• View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: 2019-06-26 01:24:25 »
Honestly at this late in the game, I'd be against anyone making change suggestions simply because any accepted changes would just make the newest release take longer to come out. Plus (almost) nobody has had access to the thousands of changes DLPB has already made in R06, so why make a bunch of change suggestions to something we can't see?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: 2019-06-26 01:27:07 »
^also this.

The changes made so far are that great that I stopped writing a change log a long time ago... as the change log was taking too long to change.

Rjenyawd

• A bowling ball, dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: 2019-06-26 06:46:18 »
Right. Like I mentioned first off, the best, easiest, and least stressful way to address a personal annoyance with abbreviation (or any text change for that matter) is for the user to apply your translation and then just edit the kernel with WallMarket themselves.

I've been following your project (and Kaldarasha's model overhaul/reshade/chaos) for the past 6 years. I've seen a fraction of how much work and life you've put into it. Its both impressive and inspiring. As a modder myself, I've already made more than a few mental lists of the things I want to poke around in for fun/preference when you throw out a final release. Hell, I already have 1/4 of the original release of "Beacuse" colloquialised for an American ear because my eye twitched every time someone said "mum". . (<-- just an example. Your translation is brilliant and thought-filled. I just had too much time on my hands and wanted to play.)

With my above "font edit" post, I was in no way trying to derail your intention or efforts, or question your decisions. I'm sorry that I came off that way. I just got overly excited and decided to respond to a random poster's issue that I saw I might be able to lend a hand with.

I appreciate the fact that you respond to people on the forums, in spite of how daunting it can be. Keep fighting the good fight.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: 2019-06-26 13:27:19 »
as the change log was taking too long to change.
This might explain why I can never get a straight answer from some of my vendors...  :-\

Kilo

• View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: 2019-06-26 21:59:12 »
I feel like this one line in the Beacause translation right at the beginning is really awkward and stilted: "It's hard to believe that one of theirs has joined a group like Avalanche!". The rest of the text is really good and improved from the original but this one immediately stuck out to me. I'd change it to "Hard to believe one of theirs joined a group like Avalanche."

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: 2019-06-26 22:39:20 »
That line has caused me so many problems.  I've rewritten it 100 times.  It's been changed more than any other line and I agree it still sounds crap.  The problem with your suggestion is it's too vague (the opening has to get clear concise info across to people who've never played the game before).  The opening dialogue is crap even in Japanese because it's giving you a ton of exposition in only a few lines.

It's impossible to make this dialogue sound truly natural, but I'm not giving up on it just yet.

I'm not really in the business of taking feedback on dialogue though - esp from R05c... or I'll never get my life back.  But you are right on this. I'm aware of it.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-26 22:40:55 by DLPB »

Kilo

• View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: 2019-06-26 22:42:51 »
Wow, I feel pretty honored the god damn creator of this patch I read an article on years ago replied and shared some insight on development. Thanks for putting all the years of hard work in. But yeah good luck with that, nice to know it's not just an oversight, and sorry if that message was a bother.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-26 22:53:28 by Kilo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: 2019-06-27 00:31:13 »
You're welcome.

---
Wow!  You're from Soldier all right.

It's hard to believe that one of theirs has joined a group like Avalanche!
Who would believe that one of theirs has joined a group like Avalanche!? 
No-one would believe that one of theirs has joined a group like Avalanche!
I still can't believe that one of theirs has joined a group like Avalanche!
I can't believe that one of theirs has joined a group like Avalanche!

Maybe the fourth or fifth one sounds most natural? I honestly can't think of anything better here.

« Last Edit: 2019-06-27 00:33:04 by DLPB »