Author Topic: FF VIII problems with Samuelslight  (Read 5572 times)

deifyer

FF VIII problems with Samuelslight
« on: 2010-04-20 14:52:35 »
If i posted this in a wrong place i apologize but anyway here's the problem:

Few days ago i suddenly had the urge to play old FF VIII again (after stumbling on dead fantasy series on youtube) so i wandered around the web to find some upgrades to the game and ended up here and there's the problem - i want to run the game from my laptop so I've made images out of the game and unmodded game works fine but after installing Samuelslight's audio..um, stuff, it starts to request cd1 and and giving wrong disc inserted error no matter what i do =/ Tried with the graphical enchantments too but no luck, game is updated to 1.2(nvidia version) and samuel's version is 1.39. After uninstall the clean game runs fine again but I'd really like to try out the better music :( Any ideas what could be the problem?

Laptop specs: Core2duo T7300, nivida 8600gs,, realtek hd audio win 7 32bit

Goku7

• View Profile
Re: FF VIII problems with Samuelslight
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-25 19:52:28 »
Are you using the updated configurator program as well?

Using that program means that you're not actually using FF8.exe, but a separate one, called "PlayFF8.exe", in which case all the patches that you've applied to FF8.exe won't be in effect.

In any case, (and to make sure we're on the same page) the game's music files are in "/Final Fantasy VIII/data/music/dmusic/"  You'll want to extract ALL the .sgt files and the .dls file to that folder, and overwrite everything.  This will install the updated music to the game, AND the game should be none the wiser as to what it's using.  If not, then I don't know what's going on, as the music files don't affect anything but the music.

deifyer

« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-28 14:46:01 »
Ahh took me a while but seems i got it to work now =)

Disabling all options in daemon tools (rmps, securom etc) did the trick, also using magixts 1.31 launcher since Aalis opengl gives "failed to load custom driver", actually, magixts launcher also gives that error when i have aalis driver installed.. Something to do with the eax.dll i suspect since removing it solves the problem and i can use magixts launcher again =/ (and yes, using Ficedula-FF8Configurator2.2, same thing happens).  :-\

But it isn't that big of the problem since i still can use all the good stuff modern graphic cards enable and view it on a bigger screen too without the need to back off a couple of meters :) Not sure if the enhanced audio is working or not but since i can hear music and everything, at least SOMETHING is making noise  :-P

PS.  And the thing with the daemon tools is still a little fishy, why the unmodded game runs fine with everything enabled and a modded one doesn't..
« Last Edit: 2010-04-28 14:49:15 by deifyer »

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-29 20:38:26 »
Not sure if the enhanced audio is working or not but since i can hear music and everything, at least SOMETHING is making noise  :-P

Glad to hear you've got it working (pun not intended).  :mrgreen:

The easiest way to tell if the enhanced music is working or not depends on how you installed the music.  Did you completely overwrite all the files in "/data/music/dmusic/"?  If so, then to know that you're getting the better samples, check the size of the FF8.dls file -- if it's in the neighborhood of 44MB, you're getting the better samples.  If its around 8mb, then that's the original, craptastic samples.

If your using Ficedula's FF8 configurator, then it really depends on what you have selected in the "Music Addons" tab.  If you've got "Samuel's DLS v1.39" and "Samuel's DLS compatible music set (v1.39)", and you hear something ingame, then it should be the enhanced music.