Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1836578 times)

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #450 on: 2011-11-23 13:50:02 »
Hi again,

I've managed to piece together the patches and mods I'm after, which is superb! However, I'm suffering from pretty incredibles lag most of the time. What's odd is occassionally the game runs at a normal speed, such as up until Barret get's out of the train at the start of the game.

Any suggestions on where to start trying to address the issue?

Thanks,

Sed

EDIT:

Started over, fresh max install, tried to play but wouldn't load, assumingly due to the graphics fail without the official patch. Installed Remix 2.5.1, seem's fine initially except consistantly struggles whenever the Shirna guards use the "Machine Gun" attack - causes some lag. Also some lag occurs when Barret states "Ex-Solider, huh? Don't trust ya!", both before and after your confirm his name. Again, some lag whenever a guard uses Machine Gun, but the game recovers. I'm then able to get past where Barret joins your party, but the game suffers SEVERE lag around and about when you get Jesse to open the door for you.

I don't see much point trying any further on the Bootleg until I've managed to address this issue so early on. Anyone have a clue what to do?

Thanks,

Sed

2 things, 1 what are your system specs and 2 what is the resolution ur playing at. i learned that the game requires much more system resources after all the mods have been installed but running at a lower resolution should fix the problem

EDIT:

Which mods have you installed. did you go down the list and grab all of them or just a few. bootleg has a mods page under options that tells you all the required ones for the current settings you have chosen so if any are red get those too.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-23 18:44:53 by Tapatos »

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: 2011-11-23 18:56:58 »
Win 7 64-bit
2.4 quad core
4GB ram
1gb graphics

The specs aren't a problem with just the remix installed, I played the game to completion with it a few months back and nothing has changed there. I've tried the lower resolution (640x480), the first thing I did on encountering the problems, but that has only helped with the lag during the "Machine Gun" animation, everything else hasn't improved.

So far I've only got up to installer Remixer before playing with Bootleg, as the readme instructions have suggested. I'm fairly sure I have all the mods required for bootleg, however I'll go back and double check for when I eventually get to that stage.

Thanks,

Sed

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: 2011-11-23 19:04:34 »
ahh ok try gettin all the mods cause i did the same thing just jumped in and started with the remix and had a few problems. just a not bootleg also installs the remix if you have it in the mods directory so if u ran bootleg after you installed the remix that might have caused problems

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: 2011-11-24 04:15:04 »
Awesome, I'll give that a go. Turns out I was missing a few of the red mods (put them off due to MegaUpload's restrictions...) Will post back with results.

EDIT:

Some trouble with two mods:
missing_hq.zip
cr.rar

links in the first page don't work. Managed to find Missing_hq.zip HERE: http://www.mediafire.com/?ccslevagl17a4nv

Struggling with the cr.rar. Any direction would be appreciated.

Also, with regards to the "ff7_enhanced_movies_1.zip" file, I got the part rar file version which appears to be missing part 3. Is this normal? Will it still work? IT's a big file to download all over again...

Thanks in advance,

Sed

« Last Edit: 2011-11-24 04:52:49 by Sed7 »

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: 2011-11-24 06:29:09 »
a couple of the mod links are dead or outdated now but pitbrat was nice enough to include them in with the newest bootleg so no worries just download that its only 100mb. not sure about the enhanced movies but if its missing a file i should jsut skip it altogether just make sure to let bootleg install everything on its own.

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: 2011-11-24 07:12:56 »
Yeah some research revealed the cr.rar file to be somewhat reduntant, so it's just the enhanced video files now, which is near finished.

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: 2011-11-24 08:34:12 »
Sigh...

Ok, all that, and now I'm told to insert the disc.

Yes, the disc is in the drive.

Yes, it's in the same drive I installed from.

What next?

Eventually foudn the Square Soft folder, not in the default location. Changed the datadrive to the correct path, and still asking me to insert the disc.

SUCCESS!

Tried all the disks, and for some reason the reg changed the drive to the wrong one... not sure why. Changed again to the correct and I've acutally got the game to start.

Now to see if it keeps running...

...and the answer is no. Epic, epic lag. Will try lower resolutions and such tomorrow, but if anyone can think of any other solutions, that would be handy.

Bugger it, time for bed.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-24 09:55:23 by Sed7 »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: 2011-11-24 13:20:17 »
Please use the new
BIG LIST OF FF7 MODS.

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: 2011-11-24 16:28:47 »
theyre all the same versions of the mod still right? downloading them all was a nightmare lmao

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: 2011-11-24 18:45:04 »
Are the ones in red (i.e. nessesary for the Bootleg) any different from those in the OP? I'm not redownloading all the red files unless I absolutely have to XD

Thanks Pit, I didn't realise the OP list was out-dated, there are some new files I'm missing, but are they likely to be the cause of the lag? Might be worth editing the OP to show them where the new list is, if it's as simple as cutting and pasting. I know compiling a list that big is pretty rough going.

EDIT:

Absolutely no improvement in the lag.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-24 20:59:33 by Sed7 »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: 2011-11-24 22:41:53 »
To determine which mods you need:
    Run BFE.exe
    Choose your desired configuration or use one of the presets
    In the mod location box enter the path of the mod containing folder
    From the menu select FILE, MOD LIST

The mod list is color coded:
Mods in green are already present. 
Mods in yellow are missing but not required with the current configuration. 
Mods in red are missing and required for the current configuration to install correctly. 

If any of the links are down, check the big list of mods for the most current links.

I don't recommend running Bootleg with any mods still listed in red. 
Bootleg attempts to recover when a required mod is missing but there are consequences.

I removed the outdated file list and added a larger link to the new and improved mod list.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: 2011-11-24 22:57:30 »
Just out of curiosity why are any of the mods required? If installed manually are they required to be installed in conjunction with each other?

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: 2011-11-24 23:18:38 »
Bootleg automates mod installation on a vanilla FF7.
Some of the mod authors requested that I NOT include their work in the Bootleg archive.
Other mods are just too large to repack into one easy to download file.
If the user selects an option that requires files from one of those mods, then Bootleg lists the mod as a required download.
Bootleg provides links and attempts to simplify the download process.

I continue to receive permission from more authors to include their work.  With each new version of Bootleg, the number of options increases and the number of additional downloads decreases.
Eventually I hope to do away with the need to download the largest of the mods-- The Remix.
Most of The Remix is bloat and not necessary.
Due to size the movie and music mods will most likely always remain separate downloads.

I could use some help in eliminating The Remix.
I would be very pleased if someone converts the OCRemix tracks to the OGG format.
I might explode with joy if that amazing individual managed to make the tracks loop!
I'm currently sorting through the modified and fixed PRP models from The Remix.
Other than the fixed PRP models and the OCRemix soundtrack, there is only one other tiny little asset that The Remix has to offer.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: 2011-11-25 01:00:10 »
I would be very pleased if someone converts the OCRemix tracks to the OGG format.
I might explode with joy if that amazing individual managed to make the tracks loop!
I already told you in the IRC that I'm working on this. It'd be done now, if I wasn't so lazy, but progress is being made.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: 2011-11-25 05:54:19 »
Sometimes I talk so much that I forget what other people say.
There's no rush.  I've heard it's nearly impossible to make some of the OCRemix tracks loop smoothly.

I have so much to fix with this latest build of Bootleg 0036.
It seems like I introduced more bugs than fixes when I started moving mods into the Bootleg archive.
I apologize for releasing such a mess.
I've fixed all of the bugs that you all have brought to my attention.
I'm currently assimilating the Bloodshot mods and the Chibi models.
Thank you all for sticking with this project.
This next version is so much better!
Please tell me all your complaints now so I can  have everything fixed for 0037.
I'll release this one as soon as I get it compiled and running so the bugs of 0036 can be a fading memory.

I've already remade Bootloader.  The 0036 release is a pile a steaming dung beetles.  At least it switches modes.
Now Bootloader edits all the major config options including the game CD-Rom source drive and the movies path.
There are a few extra options I want to work in, but they can wait until I have a bug free release out.
One major option is the ability to create presets so that BFE knows the last used settings.
The second addition is the ability to generate an install image directly from the CD-Roms.
Then Bootleg can install directly from the image.
These options together will make it very easy to reinstall FF7 in order to explore all the mods.

Please submit bug reports for Bootleg 0036!

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: 2011-11-25 06:03:33 »
It seem's I'm still somehow missing a single red file! Thanks for the short cut to finding it. Having already ran bootleg, is it possible to simply re-run it to install the missing red file, or do I need a fresh install? And again, is this missing mod likely to be the cause for the lag, or is there no way to really tell?

Thanks in advance,

Sed

EDIT:

Yeah, again, lag.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-25 07:24:26 by Sed7 »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: 2011-11-25 21:40:43 »
The lag sounds more like a driver issue.
Try enabling PBO in ff7_opengl.cfg:
    use_pbo = yes

Also, update your video card drivers and defrag your harddrive.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: 2011-11-25 21:44:14 »
It may also be an issue with the Battle Scenes as LGP. These are known to cause slowdown.

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: 2011-11-26 00:39:56 »
The PBO thing seems to have worked, so far so good! Thank you so much for the recommendations! Now I can finally enjoy all the hard work your guys have done!

EDIT:

Some glitches I've found, no doubt you're aware of them already:

Slight texture issue on Tifa's left foot during battles, there's a grey patch instead of the whole boot being red.
The door to the room Cloud sleeps in in Aerith's house sometimes it stuck closed (you're atill able to walk through it though(
When Barret starts hitting the old door to Sector 7, with the new sfx he grunts like a girl.. XD
The font size is a bit big for the speach boxes

Other than that, if anyone can tell me a simple way to revert the names (Marin instead of Marlene? Really?) back to their originals, it'd be appreciated! Not sure which mod this came from.

Thanks!

ANOTHER EDIT:

NO CHOCOBO WALTZ!? D:
« Last Edit: 2011-11-26 07:19:48 by Sed7 »

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #469 on: 2011-11-26 11:57:20 »
Is there a way to have the normal barrett battle model? I noticed in the 0036 front end that there wasn't a "Normal" option; perhaps this could be fixed?

edit:
    not fixed, per-say, but... altered? that's more what I meant X)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: 2011-11-26 12:17:29 »
We will modify that for 0037.

A new release is getting more and more important! We're getting closer everyday.

Now the Bloodshot's models are included in Bootleg, which will increase the download size of Bootleg yet again, but reduce the number of required downloads.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: 2011-11-26 12:59:13 »
That grey patch on Tifa's foot isn't a mistake.  Her feet are her weapons and that steel plate makes her kicks hurt more.  There's another plate on her elbow.  In the original art, she has them on both feet.
The door in Aeris' house is a glitch with FacePalmer.  The fix requires reverting the entire scene back to the original gaphics.  It's a minor glitch, so I left it alone.  There's no way to just fix the door without removing all of the scene graphics.  Well, there's Photoshop, but manually editing scene graphics is very intense.  You'll also notice in Costa Del Sol that there's a blue line around the doors in the hotel.  FacePalmer has some problems with doors and lights.
Issues with font size and character names are definitely related to the Menu Overhaul.  To revert the names, just reinstall the Menu Overhaul without the ReTranslation option to use canon names.  After reinstalling, you'll need to alter the file 'ff7_opengl.cfg' to change the mod path:
    mod_path = bootleg
I'll look into Barret's falsetto attack.  Many of the sounds get reused.  It's probably one of Tifa's attack sounds that is recycled.  I'll look for an attack sound that has no voice.
The Chocobo Waltz is included in all but the OCRemix soundtracks.  Did you install FF7Music? 

Royalmurder,
You want an option to use the Barret model from the vanilla game?  The Timu Sumisu Barret model from The Remix is close to the classic style.  I've included all the Barret models I found at Qhimm.  The only option I can think to add would be 'NO CHANGE.'

Thanks for the feedback.  Keep it coming.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-26 13:30:26 by PitBrat »

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: 2011-11-26 20:55:57 »
The door in Aeris house wasn't a big deal, just thought I'd bring it up incase it was unknown. By Chocobo Waltz I meant the chocobo's dancing when you recieve the chocobo/mog materia, this may be an issue with the updated models not having the same freedom of movement as the other ones.

Some minor things, barely worth mentioning:

Solar flare effects on back grounds seem's pretty heavily pixelated (the last scene from memory is after the scene just before the Mt Corel reactor), I'm not sure if these are "built into" the backgrounds or not.

If you fall through the rail tracks on Mt Corel West, the music doesn't restart on climbing to the top.

As for the retranslation, it seems that if you uncheck it it assumes the files you have are the vanilla ones and leaves it be, it doesn't revert them back to normal. One would assume using the uninstall option then reinstall mend this? The "Lucky Tifa" option doesn't seem to be working either, unsure if this is also applicable to Cait Sith.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-26 22:01:49 by Sed7 »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: 2011-11-26 23:29:16 »
The Chocobos not dancing is most likely an issue with one of the model animations.  These models are from the Phoenix Rejuvenation Project.  I'll try to track down the original animation and see if that will work with the new models.

All lighting effects are somewhat broken when using the new field textures.  If you want the hires lighting effects, uncheck REMOVED GLITCHED under the field textures box before running Bootleg.  The game will then the higher quality lighting textures.  Unfortunately, the lights will no longer flash and pulse like they do with the old textures.  Also, some scenes will have dark blotches.  There are still quite a few issues with the updated field textures from the mods FacePalmer, BlackFan and the Field Files Packs.  The powers that be informed me that the OpenGL driver will eventually support the lighting effects.

Any issues with music are related to FF7Music.  Covarr knows the most about how ff7music works.  I've found other problems with it.  If you skip the opening movie, the game music doesn't start until Cloud leaves the train platform.  Also, sometimes the wrong battle music plays or the battle music plays at the wrong time.  FF7Music hasn't received updates in a very long time.  I'm not sure if the original author even frequents these forums anymore.

You won't be able to just uninstall the ReTranslation or Menu Overhaul because of the large number of other mods installed.  Try installing the Menu Overhaul with ReTranslation and uncheck the Canon Names option.  That will at least use the American version of their names.  Other than that, you can always change their names in the game or with a program like Black Chocobo.

I'll have a new version of Bootleg out soon.  There are nearly 50 new field models and some other improvements and bug fixes.  It will require a fresh install . . .
Here's what I've done so far:
    Added Field Model Options: Squallff8's Redesigned PRP Field Models in two flavours-- Bootleg and Full
    Added Vincent Model Option: New Boots
    Revised Option Descriptions
    Revised New SoundFX with louder Cursor and Cancel Sounds; Removed female voice from hit sounds shared by Tifa and Barret
    +Fixed Beheaded Classic Cloud Battle Model
    +Fixed Broken Bootloader: Added options to configure, Save now works, Play now works without modes
    +Fixed stall at deglitching
    +Fixed Support for Special Characters: é, è, á, à, et cetera
    Integrated Mods: Squallff8_Final_PRP_Models.rar, Vincent's Boots.rar, Models.7z, HQMBV2 - Classic Buster.rar, Classic Models.7z

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: 2011-11-26 23:51:41 »
Sounds like I got the itch at a bad time if a new bootleg will be out soon XD

There's also been some issues with text boxes not appearing on the world map, like the instructions when you first get the buggy not showing up, or Cloud's "???" when the buggy starts to malfunction outside of Cosmo Canyon.