Author Topic: Aali's Custom Driver Mod + Extreme Lag error  (Read 8464 times)

FFFreak

• View Profile
Aali's Custom Driver Mod + Extreme Lag error
« on: 2011-08-16 09:29:01 »
Hello, new guy here. I'm having a problem with using Aali's driver, although I can guess what it is but came here to see if there's anything other than udating my hardware to do it.

As the title says, when I use Aali's driver, my game runs extremely slow, like 5-10 fps. Runs fine using the software driver, though. I'm using the latest Aali driver along with Avalanches overhaul mod (Which it ran slow before it also).

I have a Windows XP Home Edition rig Pentium 4 2.2 Gz 256 RAM with Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (<--- Thinking thats my problem) with the latest driver.

I've disabled shader support in Aali also.

So, is there anything I can do to get this masterpiece to looking and playing like it's s'pose to without updating my hardware?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
Re: Aali's Custom Driver Mod + Extreme Lag error
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-16 16:25:17 »
Not enough ram

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-16 17:28:12 »
It is your graphics card that most likely cannot handle it.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-16 17:33:20 »
As a general rule, Aali's driver bumps up the requirements for this game a fair amount. On most modern machines it doesn't matter, but it can be quite a problem on something like what you've got. If you really can't update your hardware, I'd suggest trying it without the driver (can't guarantee it'll work though, this graphics chipset can't even handle Quake III properly). You'll want, at the very least, the 1.02 patch and the chocobo racing patch.

FFFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-16 20:19:04 »
Figured as much. I already had 1.02 installed. Is there any way to at least change the field look of Cloud or take out the blockiness without using Aali?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-16 21:15:43 »
First step to solve performance problems is always to change your resolution to 640x480 or 1280x960 (1280x1024 is also acceptable).

willo182

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-16 22:23:51 »
I would think a small hardware upgrade would definately be worth it, unless you are planning to get a new PC in the next 6 months.

You could probably get a reasonable graphics card and some ram for £40~

Especially if you would like to use some of the high res textures around, whenever I start up FF7, FeliX's HD world map takes about 3-4 seconds to load (after initial load its instant) and thats with a 2.6Ghz core2 quad 6Gb of ram and an ATI X1900XT 256Mb.

So yeah my advice would be spend a little money so you can experience all of the great mods this community has to offer :)

Edit: feel free to ask for some suggestions/advice if you do decide to do any upgrading.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-16 22:26:27 by willo182 »

FFFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-16 22:42:54 »
Neither helped, Aali. :(

Anyways, I used to have a XPS Media Edition Dual Core 2.2 Gz 1G RAM with nVidia GForce 7300 LE which I'm sure would run it with no probs but my folks house burned down in Feb and I was staying with them. So I'll be having some $$ (Insurance) coming to me in the next few weeks and I'll be devoting 1500-2000 towards a new computer so getting some idea's towards specs for a new rig would be awesome.

willo182

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-17 00:30:52 »
We talking £ or $? lol

Either way for 1500 you can make a pretty top notch system, if you plan on self building. (if you are a UK resident i can recommend a superb site)

I personally hate oem systems like dell and advent etc etc, 99% of the time everything in the bios is locked down so you cant overclock anything.

Once i get my new cooler my processor will be going to 3Ghz-3.2Ghz from the 2.6Ghz it is now (stock is 2.33Ghz lol).

Saving at the moment to upgrade my X1900XT 256Mb to a HD6970 2Gb. (ATI fanboy since my PII 300Mhz @400Mhz w/ ATI RAGE128 32Mb lmao)

As far as specs go you'd definately wanna go the i7-2600k route for your processor, will be top of the range for a while yet.

DDR3 is super cheap at the moment as well.

Well anyway closer to the time I can actually do some pricing for you etc, if you'd like, sorry by the way, building new pc's get me excited!  :P

Edit: Haha just noticed the $$ in your post, well i dont know as many US based websites selling PC's/components, but will look into it closer to the time.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-17 00:43:04 by willo182 »

FFFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-17 00:50:55 »
American dollaroo's, bucko. As far as building my own, I know the components inside a computer but kinda afraid I'll short something out (Funny enough, I learned about it from screwing around on my mom's computer and messing it up loads of times >_>) so I was going to go to a computer repair/salesman that we've known for a while (The one we took the computer to whenever I screwed it up :D). Would come out cheaper doing it myself but I'd rather be safer than sorry, plus it'll be ALOT cheaper than when I got my XPS (Rent-to-own, never again) but I've always thought about going to school for that sort of stuff so I guess it would be good pre-training.

FFFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-17 02:10:06 »
Not sure if I should start another topic but I've just got to the point when I first get to the world map and everything on the ground has a black BG with white text saying "Text". Any idea's?

Edit: Nvm, I just did a re-install and it was fixed.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-17 02:48:36 by FFFreak »

willo182

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-17 10:43:15 »
Well in modern systems its very hard to short them out, but yeah fair enough, you could just post a few of the systems your looking at and i can tekk ya which is best or something.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2011-09-01 22:47:42 »
Closing as solved.

Resolution: Find more powerful hardware

If the OP feels this is not satisfactory, s/he should PM me and request the topic re-opened.