Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam]SeeDReborn v4.1 Multi-Language [NEW! More Options!] (5/22/19)  (Read 557922 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] SeeD Reborn - FF8 Menu Overhaul v3.5 *UPDATED*
« Reply #400 on: 2017-08-15 22:35:15 »
Italian version of SeeDReborn v3.5 is now available on the first post!!!

FINALLY!

But - I made it up to you guys -- you basically have SeedReborn v3.6 - your own 'extra' updated version -- ENJOY!! 

(If you prefer the 3.2 font, you can use the 'sy' folder from the 3.2 release and just move/replace the one from this version)

XxXManuXxX

• View Profile
yayyyyyyyyyyyyy,
As soon as I get home I try it right away, Now I can not try it, because I'm on vacation hehe
thank you so much MCINDUS

italian's Loving you hahaha

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
yayyyyyyyyyyyyy,
As soon as I get home I try it right away, Now I can not try it, because I'm on vacation hehe
thank you so much MCINDUS

italian's Loving you hahaha

So I'm dying to hear what you think :)

robpolsen

• View Profile
Italian Really loving you  :-D :-D :-D :-D

kakaro

• View Profile
Hello,

I can't download the French Pack.
I'm block on AddFly, and when i click on "skip add" i'm redirect on a new tab (white) and i can't download the file.

Can you help me, or upload it on a new site ?

Thanks

larax

• View Profile
Hi,

I installed SeeD Reborn 3.2 with spanish package and i'm having some bugs in some places. For example the "time battle bar" looks like this:

Has anyone else had that problem? Thanks very much

Mcindus, great job! your dedication in improving ff8 is impressive.

m0zz

• View Profile
Hi,

i can't get a proper display with seed reborn and the french version.

with reborn 3.5 and reborn 3.5 hash,  letters are perfect but not numbers :

with reborn 3.5 and french language pack (ic textures) and french hash , i have the numbers but the letters are kind weird, some are missing :

>> french textures /french hash

>> eng textures /  original hash

also i don't have the elemental pictos with eng. hash and i have them with french textures / french hash

but for now i prefer the look with reborn 3.5 eng and eng hash, i mean all letters are well shape but i'd like to have the numbers too (and the pictos would be great but if not it's ok)

any idea ? thx (and thx for all those mods guys, i re discover this game and i enjoy playing it)

m0zz

• View Profile
problem kinda solved. I have put my game in english, everything is fine now

shikulja

• View Profile
I made a .bat script, to transfer new versions of Seed Reborn for
old version of FF8 (compatible with Aali's Driver)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dPOfCawdhlyjRAASEgcgCJL6AyXE7uKS/view?usp=sharing
Several palettes could not move from iconfl 0-1-2-3 because I do not know which numbers these colors have.
If anyone is interested, you can finalize.
==
I hope Mcindus and the others, you can write a document how to correctly redraw the texture, I manually redraw the 2.x version when often began to update, I just abandoned ..
For example, how to align, how to quickly make all palettes, and what font parameters of text, shadows and colors, so as not to select manually

Xiraiya

• View Profile
I don't know if this is the best place for this but I thought I'd ask.

I'm looking to find out if it's possible get the PSX Font working on the current PC version of FF8 through using a mod such as this. I quite like the sharp blocky look of the PSX font and was hoping to get it and the original PSX Button icons working with the current PC version for a somewhat more vanilla FF8 experience, I grabbed the PSX Music replacement mod and also grabbed the FMV mod that uses the higher res version of the FMV videos from  the old version of FF8 on PC.

So you can understand what I'm going for here, I'm just trying to scrounge together the different parts of FF8 that were better in different versions but still "Vanilla" if that makes sense. I'm not looking to bog the game down with HD fan stuff.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I don't know if this is the best place for this but I thought I'd ask.

I'm looking to find out if it's possible get the PSX Font working on the current PC version of FF8 through using a mod such as this. I quite like the sharp blocky look of the PSX font and was hoping to get it and the original PSX Button icons working with the current PC version for a somewhat more vanilla FF8 experience, I grabbed the PSX Music replacement mod and also grabbed the FMV mod that uses the higher res version of the FMV videos from  the old version of FF8 on PC.

So you can understand what I'm going for here, I'm just trying to scrounge together the different parts of FF8 that were better in different versions but still "Vanilla" if that makes sense. I'm not looking to bog the game down with HD fan stuff.

There's actually a font mod that's around.... what I recommend doing for your experience is getting SeeD Reborn 3.2, and then installing the PSX-style font replacement over the top of it.  3.2 is a 'close to the PC' version, but for the PSX text, someone has re-created it for use with SeeDReborn hashes. Not sure where the link is, but it installs right over the top of SeeDReborn (any version) - and you should be able to find it easily.

Xiraiya

• View Profile
There's actually a font mod that's around.... what I recommend doing for your experience is getting SeeD Reborn 3.2, and then installing the PSX-style font replacement over the top of it.  3.2 is a 'close to the PC' version, but for the PSX text, someone has re-created it for use with SeeDReborn hashes. Not sure where the link is, but it installs right over the top of SeeDReborn (any version) - and you should be able to find it easily.

That sounds basically perfect, I'll go looking around for it. Thanks alot.

Xiraiya

• View Profile
So after trying various things I've spent the last day or so grabbing and restoring the PSX font by hand using the SeeD Hashmap, thankfully the text palettes all line up perfectly with the original PSX text and so the colors and usage and everything seem to be displaying properly at fullscreen

Side note: There's 2 versions of the old PSX style font by the way, they look identical but one is significantly more broken looking when used in game because for some reason in that one they remove all the "grey" parts of the white and it looks noticeably simplified and shitty, just a guess but this seems to be what the old PC version used as the default when Hi-Res wasn't turned on which is very weird to me why they'd do that (It has "GAME FOLDER" characters instead of "MEMORY CARD" so that's how I deduced it was for the PC version). The actual PSX font with the "MEMORY CARD" characters in the font sheet (and also the font used in my screenshot) is a lot more "complete" looking.

However, as you can see there is something wrong here, the Icon sheets that SeeD uses don't map 1:1 to the original icon palettes like the fonts do, which is why we get this white text. I have been able to fix 95% of that before I took this screenshot but I was still finding every so often an arrow or a symbol in different circumstances would be pulling from the wrong palettes and I decided that rather than pick through ever intance of misuse in the game I'd rather ask here instead about how I might go about using Tonberry and Berrymapper to get the Icon palettes to match 1:1 with the game defaults. (This is to override the Icons in the Hires folder with the original Icons, they've been split into quadrants to match the Hires versions)

I do still wish I could find where the game decides to use "B10" and stuff to try and replace that text with the PSX buttons, that would be the Icing on the cake, the work arounds are messy and frankly don't look very good even when done properly to me. I'll keep digging.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-19 01:01:31 by Xiraiya »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
So after trying various things I've spent the last day or so grabbing and restoring the PSX font by hand using the SeeD Hashmap, thankfully the text palettes all line up perfectly with the original PSX text and so the colors and usage and everything seem to be displaying properly at fullscreen

However, as you can see there is something wrong here, the Icon sheets that SeeD uses don't map 1:1 to the original icon palettes like the fonts do, which is why we get this white text. I have been able to fix 95% of that before I took this screenshot but I was still finding every so often an arrow or a symbol in different circumstances would be pulling from the wrong palettes and I decided that rather than pick through ever intance of misuse in the game I'd rather ask here instead about how I might go about using Tonberry and Berrymapper to get the Icon palettes to match 1:1 with the game defaults. (This is to override the Icons in the Hires folder with the original Icons, they've been split into quadrants to match the Hires versions)

I do still wish I could find where the game decides to use "B10" and stuff to try and replace that text with the PSX buttons, that would be the Icing on the cake, the work arounds are messy and frankly don't look very good even when done properly to me. I'll keep digging.

Download SeeDReborn 3.5 and look through the master files that I have to make sense of where the icons go.  I have a master text file around here with a list of where the palettes get paged in tonberry, but I can't seem to find it right now lol.  Also, download the PSX controller button mod to see what I did to modify the buttons.  They go in the 'green' master text file... in sy/sysfld00(and sysfld01) somewhere.  This may all change in the future, but for probably the next 6 months will work that way.  When/if it gets 'fixed', it will also enable the mod to be much smaller.

Xiraiya

• View Profile
Download SeeDReborn 3.5 and look through the master files that I have to make sense of where the icons go.  I have a master text file around here with a list of where the palettes get paged in tonberry, but I can't seem to find it right now lol.  Also, download the PSX controller button mod to see what I did to modify the buttons.  They go in the 'green' master text file... in sy/sysfld00(and sysfld01) somewhere.  This may all change in the future, but for probably the next 6 months will work that way.  When/if it gets 'fixed', it will also enable the mod to be much smaller.
While digging around in Deling I came across what seems to be codes for the X, Circle, Square & Triangle, Start & Select buttons, that the game uses to display the PSX Button Icons ingame.

They look like this:
Triangle x0524
Circle x0525
X x0526
Square x0527
START x052b
SELECT x0528
(I haven't found the sticks or the R1/R2/L1/L2 button codes yet)

I figure somewhere in there, the game has to have a file that defines what the Buttons do or look like, and so you would probably use those codes to display the proper PSX Icons instead of B10, B9 etc. etc. But I haven't had any luck figuring out where the game determines this with the tools available.

By the way the Qhimm wiki no longer seems to work in all the times I've tried to visit it to look at FF8 file structure stuff and so on.

Aavock

• View Profile
While digging around in Deling I came across what seems to be codes for the X, Circle, Square & Triangle, Start & Select buttons, that the game uses to display the PSX Button Icons ingame.

Hey Xiraiya, using these different codes would make things much easier for everyone! Are you going to create some kind of batch replacer mod?

The texture for all the PSX buttons are in the icon.tex file (palette n°4) located in ff8\data\en\menu\
There's also very small buttons (bottom right) but I think they're unnecessary.

Edit -> Never noticed it but Deling have all PSX buttons codes (I haven't tried in-game yet):

« Last Edit: 2018-02-22 20:05:34 by Aavock »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Edit -> Never noticed it but Deling have all PSX buttons codes (I haven't tried in-game yet):

:O

So... if we had the assembly pointers the Steam version currently uses to call the B1-10 buttons, we could replace them with these codes?  If so, we could just pop those into hext tools from DLPB to replace one with the other! (which I currently use to inject Maki's UV patcher that fixes the PC UVs to match the PSX version - and prevents us from having to mod the .exe at all with a patcher, etc.)

Xiraiya

• View Profile
It would be perfect if it can be done that way, I don't have any knowledge in terms of hex editing but when I saw the button codes in deling I thought "Surely these codes can replace the current green text ingame somehow"
Nice job finding the L & R buttons and the D pad buttons too, I didn't have any luck finding them initially but I did assume that since all the code numbers are very similar that you could feasibly guess them out.

I haven't a clue what the small Icons do, I assume they're used in a tutorial or perhaps a minigame or menu within the game I've forgotten about.

My only goal is to find ways to restore the game and undo all the garbage changes the PC versions have gone through. Things like restoring the old PSX font and Icons and proper controller buttons etc. I would be all for re-creating HD Menus and fonts and all that jazz but since the game can't seem to handle transparency properly without making it look messy and shit, I'd rather have a purist/nostalgic experience instead with a couple of nifty modern conveniences.

If someone were to be able to get the exe to use those button codes properly, I can have have a crack at making some XBOX Button icons that match the style of the PSX buttons for those who want that old PSX look but don't use Playstation controllers. I have some skill in Photoshop but I'm all about trying to recreate things as accurately as possible.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-23 03:47:17 by Xiraiya »

Aavock

• View Profile
A faithfull hi-res PSX font restoration was already made here here. Hi-res PSX buttons should be easy too.

There's a mayor issue (in my opinion) about recreating a very accurate user interface: unlike FF7, there's only 1 type of texture for field and non-field. For example the game displays 1:1 text texture in dialogues on field, on the other hand, the text in menus is horizontally shrinked and same thing occurs with the rest of the textures which causes some artifacts. So even if you do manage to get perfect hi-res textures the menu UI will never look sharp and crisp.

Xiraiya

• View Profile
I'm aware, I've been looking at this game and the forums on and off for years and years. That's the sort of thing I was referring to though, it's amazing all the work that people have done for the game but I don't really like any of the Hi-res stuff for FF8 for the exact reason no one figured how to make it display correctly, if I can't fully redo the UI with pinpoint accuracy then I don't really want to bother with a mishmash of things. So that's why I'm going in the other direction and trying to figure out how to get it to be as true to the PSX version as possible, which is what I mentioned earlier.

Speaking of.

Character Names in battle on PC

Clearer example of the PSX version

See that font on the character names in battle in that tutorial image, I don't think I've ever seen anyone point this out but that font is seemingly removed from the PC version, Battle names use the default dialogue font and it looks bad when there's a bright background behind the text. I had an old copy of FF8 on PSX laying around that I made an image of to see if I could find the font or texture that has that Battle font, but even there I've had absolutely no luck finding it. If I could track it down from the PSX game I could try and figure out where it's suppose to go and then with Tonberry it could be re-mapped properly back into the game (I still don't know how to figure out the Icon sheets the game calls from to make it a 1:1 recreation.

I've been stuck with the awful blurred Icons for awhile.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-23 23:52:33 by Xiraiya »

Aavock

• View Profile
Not to mention the blue-ish effect during most of the attacks, spells, etc. We're exactly on the same page Xiraiya, I was interested in faithfully recreating the UI too and yes I've been searching on how to target a specific and separated font for character's names during battle (the tutorial picture is a stand-alone texture) and new "narrowed" textures for menus.

Maybe Maki have a clue on triggering new textures during specific events?

Xiraiya

• View Profile
I'm just curious as to why they changed the Font of character names in battle on PC and removed that font entirely. I've also never seen the character sheet for that font in either version of the game, it's very odd. The amount of strawberries they did to the PC version still makes me angry.

Japan's PC version had all it's font work and text stuff redone entirely because it previously wasn't out in Japan on PC, so now it looks quite nice for them even without the PSX font. But all we got was the rehashed garbage of the 1999 PC version. I don't know if their version had anything else done, like audio or FMV wise, getting ahold of it is surprisingly tough.

I would have paid a little bit more in price for the re-release had they just re-ported the PSX version again with the all the proper audio and everything, apparently what's even more baffling is even though the PC version uses lower quality assets in alot of places compared to the PSX version, the FMVs of the 1999 PC release are much higher res than the PSX FMVs (Which is awesome), but the Re-Release doesn't use the higher res FMVs for whatever reason.

I just don't understand.

Then you have this

A wallpaper of CG Squall in Modern Day resolution, indicating that they clearly still have some sort of access to the FF8 CG stuff.
The screenshots on the site show really, really crisp screenshots from the cutscenes (Though they are fairly small)

As it stands, my copy of FF8 has
1. Restored PSX Music in Games and FMVs
2. Restored PSX Font (Still need to know more about berrymapper for Icons)
3. Fixed UV for world map stuff
4. 1999 release FMVs that were rendered at a bit higher resolution than the PSX and Steam releases

If someone manages to figure out how to restore the PSX buttons proper and such then I think I want to put together a guide or a list for people who want kind of the best version of the FF8 Vanilla experience.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-24 03:33:26 by Xiraiya »

bayer59

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

I want to thank you for this work and I've also a question. Is this mod replace the "turbo icon" as we see it in the first screenshot ? I would like to know if something is possible to delete this icon, because i've the same issue as the Shiva's eye.

Thanks for your help.

Aavock

• View Profile
Hi bayer59, what is the issue exactly? Not sure I understand what you mean...

If you really want to delete the "turbo icon" go to \textures\ic\iconflmaster and find the "iconflmaster_15.png" file and delete that specific area:

bayer59

• View Profile
Hello Aavock,

Thanks for your help. When using the turbo,  the cross must twinkling before being permanent. I guess it's the same problem with shiva's eyes. I'm sorry, it's not simple to explain.

If I well understand, by editing this png and delete this section, the original animation will be restored ? I'm not sure because there is a lot of icon***.png in different colors. If I delete on the master one, will it be enough ?