Author Topic: request/curiosity about camera angles  (Read 10499 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
request/curiosity about camera angles
« on: 2011-03-10 23:06:08 »
I've been thinking about this for a while and tried to find a project regarding this but so far no luck. Just wonder/officially requesting if anyone knows of/or would be willing to work on a mod that allows you to take partial or full control of the camera when in battle mode. Since I know each scene has several random camera angles that it uses for each battle even the ability to scroll through these either manually or auto-randomly would be much better than just a static camera unless magic or summon is used. I know I am dreaming on this, but a best case scenario would be full camera control with the mouse for battle and world map (of course field couldn't be done). It just seems with all the these mods. Especially the battle texture enhancement mod I am working on, that you should be able to see everything more freely. If there isn't anything already/nobody wants to try, would anyone know if such a thing would be feasible as I would like to give it go but not sure how much work would be involved.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-10 23:10:57 by yarLson »

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: request/curiosity about camera angles
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-11 00:13:26 »
Pretty sure NFITC1 did some work on the cameras a while back.  If I'm not mistaken he incorporated some of it into WallMarket.  Controlling it in realtime though? Nothing exists yet.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-11 02:16:47 »
Yeah the camera was being worked on for the 60fps battle mod, but I guess it hit a dead end?
It's a shame, the 60fps battle really looked fantastic.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-11 03:02:10 »
I could go into a LONG boring explanation on cameras that would bore me to the point that I would stop explaining things mid-way. I have a pretty long post about it......somewhere. I'll find it and edit this post momentarily....

As for what Obesebear is talking about, there were plans for me to make a camera editor for TA for the 60 fps mods. Basically all it would do would extend the time the cameras take between positions so it would take 60 frames instead of 15 and stuff like that. Unfortunately, it turned out to be WAY more complicated that I expected it to be and I'm slightly ashamed to say the project is on an indefinite hiatus.

EDIT:
Told you I'd find it: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9126.0
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 03:07:47 by NFITC1 »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-11 08:17:21 »
thank you sirs, I have a look and see what I can do, I'll also check out wallmarket some more I haven't noticed any camera features yet.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-11 11:17:26 »
You know, I haven't really played FF7 in a while.  But isn't there an option to make the camera stay in a fixed position?  If so, I suppose I could get back to work on the 60fps mod...

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-03-11 11:25:38 »
yes there is a fixed mode. Good luck with the mod! Also didn't find any camera options in wallmarket but I did in Proud Clod! Don't really know what I am doing though. I don't want to change the angles really. I just want the camera to switch between the preset angles at timed/or random intervals during the battle rather than just the standard single angle. It would be a great addition along with my current wip. Can this be done/how would i do this in Proud Clod or Wall Market?
« Last Edit: 2011-03-11 11:39:53 by yarLson »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-03-11 14:54:56 »
You know, I haven't really played FF7 in a while.  But isn't there an option to make the camera stay in a fixed position?  If so, I suppose I could get back to work on the 60fps mod...

There is still a problem with the speed of the textures displaying.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-03-11 15:28:17 »

There is still a problem with the speed of the textures displaying.
Yeah I remember that too.  Do you remember if the sfx also played faster?   Either way if nothing else at least the models could be finished while waiting on somebody with the knowhow to look into the textures and camera

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-03-11 16:10:56 »
The sound effects did not speed up. But i believe they played at the wrong time.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-03-11 17:54:28 »
There is possibly things that could be done with the world map's camera, so far i have only figured out how to zoom in and out though as shown in the video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDKjCUHG0l8

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-03-12 03:03:36 »
There is possibly things that could be done with the world map's camera, so far i have only figured out how to zoom in and out though as shown in the video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDKjCUHG0l8

That's pretty cool, the draw distance of the world map really kills it for the zoom out though :(

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-03-12 03:50:32 »
haha kram that looks cool when it is all the way out!  shame it doesnt load more!

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-03-20 01:11:50 »
Yeah it is a shame the world map doesn't have a greater draw distance,
Also i have been doing some more tests into camera angles in FF7 and i have found the Zoom for battle (only the zoom NOT ROTATE as of yet)
here is a video demonstrating the battle zoom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DVMKZPFww

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-03-20 06:26:05 »
hey that awesome stuff kranmer! always glad to see progress

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #15 on: 2011-03-20 17:16:12 »
Yeah it is a shame the world map doesn't have a greater draw distance,
Also i have been doing some more tests into camera angles in FF7 and i have found the Zoom for battle (only the zoom NOT ROTATE as of yet)
here is a video demonstrating the battle zoom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DVMKZPFww

I'm not sure if this is zoom so much as it is increasing the FOV angle (the camera and focus point are still located at the same coordinates). Technically the camera is in the same spot, it's just showing more around it. I've seen this effect used by 3D games a lot to make it seem like you're traveling more distance that you really are. Quick example, after dispelling the individual barriers in Ganon's Castle in OoT that effect is used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6-OcAKccLg (about 0:50 - 0:52)

Typically the angle is set to 75 degrees so that you technically see a cone of 75 degrees. Increasing this angle doesn't change the distance between any of the objects, it just shows you more stuff around the camera. Since it's trying to fit, say, 100 degrees of vision in a space that can only reasonably display 75, the center looks small and the edges skewed.

Still, it's pretty neat to see all of KoR's attack like that.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-03-20 18:19:38 »
Ah ok thanks for that NFITC1 that makes a lot more sense (also i never made it to Ganon's Castle in OoT so the video really helped).
Yeah i thought KoR looked nice my that video.

Also i have made a quick mod to allow people to do as i did in that video, Just download the file below, put it into your FF7 folder and launch it, it should load FF7.EXE and then when in battle press PAGEUP or PAGEDOWN to go in or out.
http://www.mediafire.com/?5yavlf7nvcco2lg
if you use this please let me know what you think.

EDIT:-
Also if you press PAGEUP and PAGEDOWN outside of battle it changes the field and worldmap as well but those changes dont stick after you go to another screen.