Author Topic: Change what (Cover) materia effect actually covers  (Read 8431 times)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
excuse the pun

as far as I can see, cover or rather the actual covering in battle depends on which damage algorythm the enemy uses for a particular attack
I've stumbled on some attacks that, no matter what, don't seem to want to let themselves be affected by cover
they do not break def, they do not break status def and they do not target multiple
they do have a physical element ( or sometimes no element at all ) attached to them
so far it seems that any variant that uses fixed damage ( exact * ) or special modifiers, or all magic variants bypass the cover materia

NFITC1 is probably the only one who has a chance of knowing, again, so here we go again, haha.
If you know anything, feel free to drop a note.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Change what (Cover) materia effect actually covers
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-06 00:39:28 »
I would assume it's based on the damage type. Like 11h would be covered. It's probably based on that. I'll take a look in a bit.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-06 00:44:47 »
I ran a few tests and it seems that it's not it
for example
attack X with physical, 100% hit, no crit + X1 damage algorythm = cover lets you guard others
attack Y with the exact same formula and statistics but a different animation and impact = cover won't let you guard others
so its based on the damage type but there also seem to be specific animations and impact animations that override cover

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-06 01:01:33 »
I found the one place where the cover value is handled. It's at 0x5DB1D6 and actually depends on a specific attribute of the one being covered. I don't know what that is yet, but I'll give it a more thorough look later.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-06 01:06:07 »
good luck, I'm rather curious why they went with such a weird approach...

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-07 06:20:19 »
This game is made my people who make video's like the Gungam Style and make weird statues above trains and you are wondering why they took this strange approach?  Just saying bro almost nothing that the Asian's do surprise me anymore and I do mean almost nothing.

Rayved

• It ain't easy being cheesy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-07 20:29:13 »
This game is made my people who make video's like the Gungam Style and make weird statues above trains and you are wondering why they took this strange approach?  Just saying bro almost nothing that the Asian's do surprise me anymore and I do mean almost nothing.

cool story

whitERaven

• when the Raven turns white..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-08 01:42:36 »

LoL.. while thats funny, you should really be careful with comments like that, its a bit close to racism,
can't have racial hatred start here right.  :) :) :)

I'm asian btw, this doesn't bother me but I can't say bout others.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 2012-10-08 02:03:10 »
never mind the racism, I don't need useless crap like genesis' comment in a topic like this

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-10-08 15:22:48 »
I didnt mean for it to be racist and I apologize and now we are going way off topic.  Kuugen you need to learn to lighten up and just let things go.  You are making this harder on yourself so move on I just wanted to make one little remark about something you posted and so what if you don't like it just ignore it if it bothers you so much and I wouldn't of said anything else and we would move on with our lives.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #10 on: 2012-10-08 16:27:50 »
It wasn't even REMOTELY on topic and was a completely racist remark. It served no purpose other than to point out an alleged racial idiosyncrasy that you can't back up with actual facts. Don't tell him to "lighten up" when you're the one throwing around disparaging comments about things you don't know anything about.

On a completely unrelated note, I found out how to ignore users. ;)
« Last Edit: 2012-10-08 17:02:52 by NFITC1 »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #11 on: 2012-10-08 17:32:35 »
Sorry 'bout the double post, but I wanted this info to be contained in its own post. I think I have a list of the conditions which will provide a cover:

In this order:
1. Attack must be able to do damage. Status inflicting attacks like Confu or Sleepel will not trigger this.
2. The actor being checked must not be the target (duh, covering oneself seems counter-productive).
3. The attack must have only one target. Can't be in two places at once or cover another if coverer is going to be attacked.
4. The attack must be physical.
5. The attack must not alter the frog status. Why? Who knows. Probably because frog doesn't have a defending animation.
6. If the command is 20h (an enemy attack), it must not have an action effect on it (must be FFh).

If those conditions are all met then it loops through the characters and makes more checks in this order:
If the considered coverer's 0x9A8B39 AND 8h flag is off (I have no idea what this means)
If the considered coverer is a valid cover target (in the case of side-attacks, the lone character can't jump across sides and cover an ally)
If the considered coverer HAS a coverage rating (wearing a cover materia)
If the considered coverer isn't the target (that was checked up above, but this is a different loop).
If the target is in the considered coverer's "acceptable coverage" mask. Different from above, not sure how.
If the coverer doesn't have the following statuses: Death, Sleep, Confu, Stop, Frog, Small, Petrify, Berserk, Paralysis, Darkness, Imprisoned
If the cover chance is greater than [0..100]
     then add the considered coverer to the "potential coverer" variable.

Then a random coverer is chosen from the potential candidates (although there are only two)

Furthermore, it seems like the coverer's BattleVar 40B8 gets set to the covered char's BattleVar 4060. Not sure what effect that has. Maybe something to do with coordinates on the battle field?

Either way, there you go. That's a ~90% accurate account of how coverages are calculated and determined.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 2012-10-08 18:00:10 »
jeesh, that's way too complicated to mess around with. I now understand why it won't let the attack be covered. it caused frog.
do you think it's propable to change any of these without a giant mess up?

For genesis
On other notes, genesis, get out of my thread. I don't need to lighten up, you need to grow up. You
1) supply NOTHING OF VALUE WHATSOEVER to the thread
2) derail the thread with the above
3) obviously have no idea what the rules are. 2 years necropost in that other thread? yeah.

Congratulations, you're the first person ever to land on my ignore list.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #13 on: 2012-10-08 18:20:50 »
Very few. You can take off the frog status check without a problem and could easily bypass any single check with some NOP-ing of jump commands.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 2012-10-08 20:25:40 »
okay, can you do the frog check removal then? which of the above are single checks ( aka, which could be NOPd )

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #15 on: 2012-10-08 21:57:23 »
To remove frog, change 0x1DA6A8 from 08h to 00h.

Any of the single checks can be bypassed. Just let me know which one.

BE WARNED: These checks likely exist for a reason. I can't predict why they were put in place or what their effect would be if they're removed.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 2012-10-08 23:49:45 »
Frogs are fucking badass. did nobody play chrono trigger?
anyway. is the physical check a single check?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #17 on: 2012-10-09 01:05:35 »
That might be an easy check since it does a bitwise AND. Change 0x1DA699 from 04h to 00h. That will pass the test/jnz condition right after.
You want it to cover magic attacks? That's not likely going to work in most cases because it'll fail the attack effect being blank. To bypass THAT, try changing 0x1DA6C7 from FFh to 00h.

Like I said before, I can't guarantee graphically what will happen. It's definitely not true to lore. I can see four things possibly happening:

1. Covering character will do the cover before the animation starts and it will shift to him/her which will also follow him/her back to their original position. This might screw the camera up.
2. The animation will happen on the intended target, but right as the damage should come up the coverer steps in and takes the damage.
3. Covering character steps in before the animation starts and stays there while the animation happens on the intended target.
4. The game refuses to respond after attempting to cover a magic attack effect.

Moral of the story, make a backup before attempting this!!!!! And definitely let me know what happens. Preferably in a YouTube video if it has a funny result. :)