Author Topic: what happened to the "old" FF7 demo?  (Read 39879 times)

idl12

• View Profile
Re: mt. corel demo? anyone?
« Reply #75 on: 2010-03-31 22:04:26 »
Hey, i used to have the demo, came with my tomb Raider disc( the first one)  was never able to get it working though.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 2010-03-31 22:24:13 »
As for WAV, the disc space pretty much sums it up. You couldn't fit all the songs in the game in uncompressed WAV format at a decent quality on one CD, as evidenced by the fact that the soundtrack took four (CD-audio is virtually identical to uncompressed WAV). Even if you cut out songs that are only used in specific discs, similar to the FMVs, you couldn't fit all the music, especially alongside game data and FMVs. The only way to manage it would be to significantly lower the audio quality to 8KHz or so, at which point the music would sound significantly worse than the MIDIs, more akin to AM-radio.

I suppose it have been at all possible to compress the WAVs, then extract to disk, but hard drive space was pretty scarce in those days.  Whilst I guess Square *could* have offers two options with regards music, that would have been twice the amount of audio to test and manage. The only alternative I could think of would be a customized MIDI player, but that would be its whole own project, that would have cost a fair bit for (potentially) only one port.

How did FF8-PC deal with music?

Evan Lee

• "I don't kill I eliminate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2010-04-02 07:28:31 »
aaaaaaaaahhhh.......... sweet memories. well i don't really know why they had to remove the text in the opening sequence.

also helping biggs , an event not in the final version.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #78 on: 2010-04-02 12:41:41 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #79 on: 2010-04-02 12:58:41 »
aaaaaaaaahhhh.......... sweet memories. well i don't really know why they had to remove the text in the opening sequence.

This would have clarified up a lot of things for me the first time I played it. I didn't even know what Shinra was for a while. I just had to accept the fact that they were evil.

also helping biggs , an event not in the final version.

Likely because it's out of the way and they don't bother developing Biggs as a character later. They don't bother developing Jesse either, but she has more of a role in the first 30 mins than Biggs does.

Agahnim

• fourgive mii four baud iinglisch :D
    • View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
Re: what happened to the "old" FF7 demo?
« Reply #80 on: 2014-01-21 01:20:46 »
sorry for necroposting but could anyone reupload the "mt. corel" pc demo ??