Author Topic: Mystery Ninja Encounters - Triggers  (Read 3071 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Mystery Ninja Encounters - Triggers
« on: 2015-06-20 16:11:46 »
Hey all,

I was wondering what the triggers were for the game to load a Mystery Ninja encounter? I got a bug report on a different forum where someone managed to get one of these encounters despite having Yuffie already recruited. In NT, the event where she's recruited was modified and the battle is triggered from the field screen instead of the world map (it was to make her a mandatory party member to deal with the three-party Bizarro fight at the end of the game + deal with a common complaint where players had trouble finding her in Junon's forests).

Thing is, I made sure to keep all the variable switches in both the field script and the in-battle AI. So I'm wondering if there's another trigger somewhere? Is something flipped when the normal Mystery Ninja battles are activated from the World Map?

Edit: I found these in the save map on the Qhimm wiki (copied as-is):
0x0D29   1 Byte   Yuffie can be found in the forests? (LSB only) others used?

0x0D73   1 byte   Yuffie Regulary. Has the character entered the party regulary? For example Yuffie further appears in the forest if this option is off.
0x6E: Yes; 0x6F: No

I cross-referenced it with DLPB's save map database, and it seems that the first one is field script though Makou couldn't find any in the field code (though that's partially the reason the database was made; Makou can't find certain used variables) while the second contains world map triggers like the buggy breaking down, etc.

I'm thinking because of that the second one is more likely to be what I'm looking for. I was going to set up a special dialogue tree to try and find out which of the 8 bits in this variable have been flipped (after teleporting to the Junon area and encountering/recruiting Yuffie from a new game to try and keep any of the other bits from being flipped) but I don't know what that 6E/6F =Yes/No is referring to above (is it the bit address? If so, which one?)
« Last Edit: 2015-06-21 13:08:54 by Sega Chief »

Tom

• View Profile
Re: Mystery Ninja Encounters - Triggers
« Reply #1 on: 2015-06-25 21:55:36 »
In black chocobo there is a checkbox that says wether you can encounter mystery ninja in the forests,  is that checkbox checked when you load up one of the save files in which mystery ninja is recruited yet you can still find her in the forests?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-06-25 23:00:49 »
I'll check that out.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2015-06-26 17:00:27 »
both are used iirc its possible to have yuffie in the party and see the ninja still.