Author Topic: Download festival. Police Brutality or Justified Vigilence?  (Read 6303 times)

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
Having just come back from Download Festival 2006, I have many stories to tell, one of which being caught up in the riots that ended this years festival, and possibly ending Download Festival perminantly.

22 : 15 PM : Guns and Roses just finished their comeback gig in the UK, Everyone was amazaed by the performance, amazing atmosphere.

01 : 30 AM : fires are started, bangs are heard and the fire department are called to put out the fires.

2 : 30 AM : Burger van set on fire. can cannisters are thrown into the building, and expldoe, causing damage and lots of firey rain of debris

3 AM : A 30 foot watchtower, made of steel scafoldin, cemented into the ground is somehow toppled infront of my eyes, and hits the ground, more explosions can be heard in the distance

3 : 30 AM : Riot police arrive.  Regardless of who is standing where, they get attacked. Myself, I got attacked with a batton and slammed to the ground with a riot sheild. I was standing next to another burger van chatting to the people working there.

4 AM : Police take more action, Tear gas is deployed. I only got a back end of it, however for 20 minutes, It was agony to do anything.

4 : 30 AM Riot police retreat, Arrest 32 people. Recall attack alsatians ( I think they were Alsatiations)

Now I ask this.  Was this action justified, or over the top?

Alot of innocent bvystanders got hit to the ground by the Riot cops, and a CC Shotgun was being carried by about 1 of 5 cops.

They also had what looked to be tazers and pepper spray.

What a shit end to a great weekend tbh....

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
Seeing as how there was seemingly a lot of explosions and random destruction of property... (and apparently somge bangs that could have been reported as gun shots) I would say yeah, it  was justified lol.

Sad Jari

About justified, IMHO.

When stuff starts to explode, and things are on fire the proper way of taking control of the situation is clearing the area and neutralizing all possible threats. If that means gassing few people and causing few bruises, that's ok - because it would be possible that worse things might happen if they don't intervene.

Certainly they shouldn't go around hitting everyone with a baton, but considering the circumstances it's understandable - although whether it's acceptable depends on few things.

I have couple of questions, though. Not an interrogation of any kind, just curious. :)

They attacked without asking people to disperse / leave the area / whatever? That's kinda out of the ordinary, they are usually supposed to ask you to leave first, and then beat you. :P Kidding, but there's truth to it; they usually beat people because they refuse to obey their orders, not because they want to.

Real tear gas? Seriously? IMHO, this is good if they are using it. Because it actually works, unlike the alternative chemicals that at least US riot police has been using lately. They are pretty much of a joke, you can see crowds of people standing in middle of the cloud and looking rather comfortable. With tear gas... they would be looking for another place to stand in. :) Yet there's no permanent damage as you found out, so I'm all for using tear gas. Rather that than getting hit, as unpleasant as it is (yes, I speak from experience).

In any case, sorry to hear about that. :/

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
It didnt really worsen the weekend really, infact its quite entertaining to say to people "Oh yeah.. I got twatted across the face by riot police and neutralised with tear gas... How was your weekend?" >_>

I've heard some pretty grim stories however of both the police and the festival "security" getting VERY agressive for no reason.

Apparantly, this year there were 102 thefts, 53 accounts of GBH, 25 accounts of propriatery damage, and 3 accounts of rape.

Im absaloutly appauled at those figures, especially the last one...

spyrojyros_tail

Wow, thats crazy! Ive never heard of that (probably cuz the only thing you hear about now is the goddamn world cup), but im with Jari on this one, riot police usually tell people to clear the area before going in, once you have been warned you better get the hell outta there! What a crazy way to end a festival!  :-o

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
I have been to Rock Am Ring this year (again), but fortunately, the atmosphere was peaceful.

- Alhexx

zero88

• View Profile
Apparantly, this year there were 102 thefts, 53 accounts of GBH, 25 accounts of propriatery damage, and 3 accounts of rape.

Im absaloutly appauled at those figures, especially the last one...

Maybe you're lucky you didn't become a statistic?!

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
I've heard some pretty grim stories however of both the police and the festival "security" getting VERY agressive for no reason.

I rest my case. :P