Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Apocalypse v1.2 - Boss Upscale  (Read 82694 times)

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
[FF8PC-Steam] Apocalypse v1.2 - Boss Upscale
« on: 2015-12-26 04:43:32 »
Apocalypse v1.2
Boss Upscale (Steam Only)

(Updated: 4/20/17)

Download v1.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxTDk8nuGukdUEFuUWlmd19VSG8/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-E4lKVxJIbzIdOi3jvqKteg

Download v1.2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxTDk8nuGukdcHpYQ1FCSFU3THM/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-JMK9DeuJkqljxcz2vDb3Xg

Hello all. Using the Waifux2 program(and some anisotropic filtering) Waifu2x-Caffe and noise filtering, I've decided to upscale the bosses in the game. With this mod, it will help get rid of most of the pixelation and bring out more detail. I believe you'll notice the difference better by turning off the Linear Filtering if you like using that.

Directions:

1.   Download Tonberry v1.61 or later http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15945.0
2.   Install Tonberry and all of it's components
3.   Extract the file provided and place "bo" into the "textures" folder.
4.   Place "Apocalypse_hm" into the "hashmap" folder.

Examples:

Before/After:

Before/After:

Before/After:

Before/After:

Before/After:

Before/After:

Some of it is still a little rough around the edges, but nothing that can't be improved upon later down the line.

Note: This also upscales field versions of certain bosses as well.
          Not every field version is upscaled due to glitches.
          Certain animations won't work while using this mod.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: 2021-10-10 17:17:04 by FatedCourage »

olearyf2525

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Apocalypse v1.0 - Boss Upscale
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-26 07:32:35 »
Thanks for all your hard work fated courage, looks great.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-26 16:24:58 »
Thank you. I appreciate it. :) I haven't forgotten about the battle backgrounds, either. It's just been stressful the last few months. But with all that taken care of and with releasing this, I hope to get some of my drive back.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-27 03:03:51 »
AMAZING WORK!   :D

Great job.  Really glad momentum is still being made.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-27 03:43:45 »
Thank you very much. :) Same here. I'm not the type to let FF8 go dormant for too long. I also forgot to mention that the six GF battles- Ifrit, Diablos, Brothers, Odin, Cerberus, and Bahamut won't be included in this since those will be a part of your Project Hellfire.

Aktulu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-02-15 12:57:07 »
Thanks for this mod. Its been quite some time since i played FF8 and i don't remember seeing that boss in the second before picture, who is he?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2016-02-15 22:39:23 »
Thanks for this mod. Its been quite some time since i played FF8 and i don't remember seeing that boss in the second before picture, who is he?

You're welcome. :) I assume you're talking about Griever. He's one of the bosses in the final battle of the game.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-08 08:02:24 »
Updated my boss upscale. Reupscaled everything using Waifux2-Caffe and tried my best to smooth out the edges in places that needed them. I also updated the before and after pictures to represent the reupscaling. If there are any noticeable problems, be sure to let me know. :)

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Apocalypse v1.2 - Boss Upscale
« Reply #8 on: 2017-04-20 16:13:17 »
Wanted to say I made another update a couple days ago. Reupscaled and tried to produce more detail/depth to the bosses. I also redid the field models using neutral textures for consistency. (Meaning they aren't tampered by lighting.) And if you aren't satisfied with them, I left v1.1 up. :) Enjoy.

Nedus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-05-19 22:22:07 »
Uh, this is weird.

If we compare the 2 pictures: your background is way more detailed than mine, but my boss is more "sharp" than yours.
What's going on here?

To be clear: i don't have GeDoSaTo, and I have ProjectWing installed. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 2017-05-30 08:41:16 »
Uh, this is weird.

If we compare the 2 pictures: your background is way more detailed than mine, but my boss is more "sharp" than yours.
What's going on here?

To be clear: i don't have GeDoSaTo, and I have ProjectWing installed. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

I believe the image of mine is the "before" image and not the "after". Plus, I use Linear Filtering. As for the backgrounds... In my screenshot, I was using an earlier, unreleased version of the battlefield pack. All upscaled by me. And I have slightly better upscales sitting on my computer than in that picture. In yours, you're using the latest version of the pack. Mcindus and mine are mixed together in the latest version. He picked which ones he thought looked best depending on the field.

Nedus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2017-05-30 10:06:59 »
That is very interesting. I know this is off topic here, but could it be possible to see these files in the backgrounds thread?
If the backgraunds are all that well defined (or at least some of them) i wouldn't mind get my hands on them :)

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2017-06-01 04:15:19 »
That is very interesting. I know this is off topic here, but could it be possible to see these files in the backgrounds thread?
If the backgraunds are all that well defined (or at least some of them) i wouldn't mind get my hands on them :)

The plan is to release them at some point since they retain more detail than the ones I made for the initial release. Just need to sort out some black outlines on things and it should be good to go. :)