Author Topic: [FF9 PC] Moguri Mod update 8.2 (LIVE ON OFFICIAL SITE)  (Read 357929 times)

SummitBreaker

• View Profile
Re: [FF9 PC] Moguri Mod update 8.0 (BETA V4 DOWNLOAD)
« Reply #350 on: 2020-05-12 01:28:24 »
First post here and gota say your work is absolutely amazing thanks for making one of my favorite games of all time even better!

While testing I noticed the moon has a square outline around its image during the Odin summon animation.  I have a screenshot below:

https://imgur.com/CRBsdLl

Not certain if this is only something I'm seeing on my end or if this is something everyone sees for version 4.  Good luck on your future edits, and I'll post anything else I find!

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 2020-05-12 13:33:52 »
While testing I noticed the moon has a square outline around its image during the Odin summon animation.  I have a screenshot below:
Unfortunately, nobody has figured out how to edit eidolon and other battle animations. There's an interesting deep dive into the subject by tirlititi here$

So I finished replaying the game in fast forward to help inventoring all the screens that should not be widescreen for memoria, and I found a lot of bugs and parts that can be improved. So I now have a directory full of new bug screenshots. Diving into it!
« Last Edit: 2020-05-12 13:37:45 by snouz »

Lykon

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 2020-05-12 15:36:30 »
Hi. First of all thanks for this amazing mod. It has been a pleasure to play FF9 again after years with this level of detail.

I've noticed that there is some problem with background upscaling when there are multiple frames and (maybe) no attempt at all on background video upscaling (please correct me if I'm wrong).
This is because the CNN used here tends to leave random artifacts when upscaling pictures that may not match between frames in a video (or in a sequence that should suggest motion).

However there are many implementations of video super-resolution (on papers with code for example) that should do the trick.
This is an example of EDVR on a video: https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzIwMDEyODU2MA==.html?spm=a2hzp.8244740.0.0
As you can see it's still a good enhance but it's far more stable and less "random" compared to the one used by this awesome mod, making video upscaling possible.

I've also noticed that every video is in OGV format already extracted, so it shouldn't be a problem (it may be more diffucult with animated backgrounds, at least for me).

It's unrelated, but I also made a mod for character faces in the menu. In particular short hair Dagger and Amarant seem off from the original PSX game. I've attempted this edit to "fix" them and used it in my playthrough. Feel free to use it https://imgur.com/a/oVxj3oi
it's a subtle mod, but made a huge difference to me (the gallery features a second and heavier modification with open eyes, I personally used the one with the original eyes and just the "fix" on the mouth).
Edit: https://imgur.com/a/2bbMQHD?fbclid=IwAR1g_pEyjkBWyLdFaNaZuyOu-Uju_FY3EzoEQ4H144rJYwi8McGc57Y3lU4
This is a version that Caledor furthed modified from the one I posted above. He also fixed Gidan and corrected the saturation from my version.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: 2020-05-13 00:18:21 by Lykon »

Infrexius

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 2020-05-12 22:50:30 »
Hello!

Great work so far.

Only today after upgrading to v4 im having some issues.

I have the double character name issue you describing in your first post.
Also in certain scenes when characters speak with eachother some letters are missing.
I think my save data got corrupted? Not sure if this is something that can be fixed which sucks because i really dont want to start over.
I just recieved Eiko as my party member. So if anybody has a save file around there that would help me.

I hope somebody can help me.

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #354 on: 2020-05-13 02:37:37 »

I have the double character name issue you describing in your first post.
Also in certain scenes when characters speak with eachother some letters are missing.

It's actually one issue and it's related to coming back from the moguri mod and the memoria engine to "stock" ff9, so maybe it's about the assembly c-sharp file if you copypasted v4 carelessly. try using the one from the moguri mod.

For me, editing character names throught the memoria save editor didn't work at all, but using the name changer at daguerreo fixed both issues at once.

Doom Oyster

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 2020-05-13 04:47:43 »
So I finished replaying the game in fast forward to help inventoring all the screens that should not be widescreen for memoria, and I found a lot of bugs and parts that can be improved. So I now have a directory full of new bug screenshots. Diving into it!
Awesome! Are you considering changing "camera distance" ie zooming in to make scenes work in widescreen? Has anyone looked into changing the calculation for where effects are displayed in battle so they calculate correctly for different aspect ratios? (Tirlititi's post on page 5 of this thread but in the assembly csharp file in memoria)

The Gysahl Greens: https://imgur.com/8BErm6e, https://imgur.com/O8XSQEH

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/2bbMQHD?fbclid=IwAR1g_pEyjkBWyLdFaNaZuyOu-Uju_FY3EzoEQ4H144rJYwi8McGc57Y3lU4
This is a version that Caledor furthed modified from the one I posted above. He also fixed Gidan and corrected the saturation from my version.
I really like this version but on my screen the desaturation maybe goes too far and Dagger is missing all definition on her lower eyelid.

Lykon

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 2020-05-13 08:35:33 »
The Gysahl Greens: https://imgur.com/8BErm6e, https://imgur.com/O8XSQEH
I really like this version but on my screen the desaturation maybe goes too far and Dagger is missing all definition on her lower eyelid.
I agree. That's mainly why I didn't use this version in my game and I just used the first one where I edited just the mouth and the chin (plus Amarant).

Lykon

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 2020-05-13 09:09:19 »
Sorry for the double post.

So, I've started to upscale videos from the Steam version using waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan for videos and srmd-ncnn-vulkan for videos (I'd like to use MMSR but I can't find a decent and stable implementation yet, however it doesn't really matter and I'll explain why).

The main problem I encountered is that videos are natively upscaled to 1080p in the steam version. For videos FMV***.bytes this is not an issue, since they seem to be upscaled decently or simply re-rendered (except FMV060.bytes for some reason). Videso labeled mbg***.bytes are a mess, since they've been upscaled using bicubic. Using a CNN on them "preserves" the bicubic upscaling, giving decent results only when seen on a 4k screen.

I have already upscaled (using super-resolution) every mbg***.bytes video to 4k, plus FMV000.bytes, FMV001.bytes and FMV060.bytes also to 4k.

Another (greater in my opinion) issue is that, regardless of my modification, mbg***.bytes videos do not match the static backgrounds they're swapped from/to (as they did in the original psx version where the transition was smooth and difficult to notice).

As far as I can tell there are 2 (obvious) ways to fix this:
1) adapt the static backgrounds to the videos (easy and probably with a more convincing result)
2) adapt the video to the static backgrounds (may leave a weird "PowerPoint" transition effect)

The effect I'm talking about is most noticeable (because of a completely different color palette, and of course the detail level) when the Alexander staircase appears in front of Dagger (right after mbg111.bytes ends).

I'd try that myself but I have no idea where to get the background images. A package with every background before/after every single mbg***.bytes video would be great.

You probably already know that, but the game accepts 4k videos. The only requirement is that they must use the Theora codec (OGV). Audio track doesn't seem to matter but I'm simply not using that, just like in the original files.

Doom Oyster

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 2020-05-13 12:07:34 »
^^ On a related note, I was going to ask about this: The developer's conversion from the psx to steam gave the original steam version an odd color space where everything is de-contrasted (darkness levels 0-16 don't exist, everything is 16 - 255). And the color balance is off. To correct this in sweetFX reshade:

#define Levels_black_point 16     //[0 to 255] The black point is the new black - literally. Everything darker than this will become completely black.
#define Levels_white_point 255    //[0 to 255] The new white point. Everything brighter than this becomes completely white.
#define RGB_Lift  float3(1.000, 1.000, 0.950)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue.
#define RGB_Gamma float3(1.045, 1.020, 1.000)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gain  float3(1.045, 1.020, 1.000)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

Is the rework trying to correct for the color space or keep it the way it was (necessitating reshade)?

Nuraya

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 2020-05-13 12:46:10 »
Hey guys,

Reletively new to all of this but adore FFIX so wanted to try the mod and beta!
Came across this layer issue in the gate just after the evil forest when they rescue Garnet. It also happened In the evil forest when they rescue Garnet and she's unconcious. Steiner is holding her and as Zidane approaches they appear in front like the fence even though he's in front of them. Hope that helps. This was with V3, so just got V4 and hope it won’t happen again :) sorry it’s a photo and not a screenshot!
https://imgur.com/a/eUEkozE

Lykon

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 2020-05-13 13:43:02 »
^^ On a related note, I was going to ask about this: The developer's conversion from the psx to steam gave the original steam version an odd color space where everything is de-contrasted (darkness levels 0-16 don't exist, everything is 16 - 255). And the color balance is off. To correct this in sweetFX reshade:

#define Levels_black_point 16     //[0 to 255] The black point is the new black - literally. Everything darker than this will become completely black.
#define Levels_white_point 255    //[0 to 255] The new white point. Everything brighter than this becomes completely white.
#define RGB_Lift  float3(1.000, 1.000, 0.950)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue.
#define RGB_Gamma float3(1.045, 1.020, 1.000)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gain  float3(1.045, 1.020, 1.000)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

Is the rework trying to correct for the color space or keep it the way it was (necessitating reshade)?
Are you talking about video specifically or the game in general? Because there is a huge color difference between video backgrounds (mbg***.bytes videos) and the corresponding swap to static backgrounds in cutscenes. The difference is even more clear because of the (good) work on backgroud upscaling (but it not really because of colors).

By the way I have uploaded the first version of the 4k video upscaling using super-resolution: https://mega.nz/file/MZEmna4S#6snFIa6rDITg7fR4ntcnwy9UKeo8ktSyWXR8-zjBxS0
(archive password is qhimm)

It doesn't really solve the color mismatch issue yet, but it's nice on 4k monitors compared to the normal bicubic upscaling. The difference on 1080p monitors is way more subtle because of what I mentioned in the previous post. 
For time reasons I've only upscaled the first 2 FMV videos, the last FMV video and every mbg video. I'd like to discuss more about this with you guys before committing further.

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 2020-05-13 14:34:33 »
@Lykon Would you add me on steam or something? Video upscaling was my next project after bug fixing, especially those 16 where there are 3D objects (those that usually transition from a background). I managed to get a decent result, but I put it aside to do the main mod.
I'd be all up for us collaborating on that! I'm downloading your last link.

@Nuraya it's fixed in v4

@Doom Oyster I've never tried Reshade, but I will. I never noticed a color difference with the PSX version though.

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 2020-05-13 19:25:52 »
If there are C# programmers here, there are some bugs in Memoria that I think Albeoris would like some help with.
https://github.com/Albeoris/Memoria/issues

Enridonn

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 2020-05-13 20:03:53 »
I recall this mountain was improved with your beta, but it isn't applied in my game?? Image 1

Also, here is a small error when you walk behind this: Image 2 Image 3

Lykon

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 2020-05-13 20:37:01 »
@Lykon Would you add me on steam or something?
Sent

Video upscaling was my next project after bug fixing, especially those 16 where there are 3D objects (those that usually transition from a background). I managed to get a decent result, but I put it aside to do the main mod.
I'd be all up for us collaborating on that! I'm downloading your last link.
I'd love that and I'm curious about your test result. Yesterday I wasn't really able to fine tune the algorithm as much as I wanted (maybe my workflow was not optimal given the fact that those 16 videos are already upscaled using a really noisy bicubic).

Lykon

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 2020-05-14 08:18:23 »
Uploading some test videos after a long chat with snouz yesterday.

The videos are meant for test purpose at this stage. The password for the archives is "lykon"

In the folders there are always 4 videos and the names should be enough to indicate the method differences. 15 fps videos only have super-resolution applied. 30 and 60 fps videos also have DAIN for frame interpolation.

The test videos I worked on for this test are mbg101 and mbg116. The files are already in the correct format.

https://mega.nz/file/EQFHQCqT#wHkao7ZTtRKLEQBmyZTYlmYznPaYuvgM09eqTFMdOLg

https://mega.nz/file/UB0hxQQZ#5xDMZYGMa87GwC4CkqqEMio_jYEgmei3YfpclzPBBzQ

m_artn

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 2020-05-14 09:45:58 »
I like the 60fps videos   :-D

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 2020-05-14 10:25:45 »
I've moved discussion about FMVs to http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19950.0 if you want to take part!

eefatifa

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 2020-05-14 22:26:25 »
Hello, I've tried to run Moguri along with Memoria, but many areas are glitched out and the graphics are messed up.

What I did:
- installed moguri
-installed memoria

The graphics are broken though, like 'split', as if my GPU was broken. So I had to uninstall/remove memoria. Is there a way to get v4 and memoria working simultaneously? Thank you.

What it looks like:

EDIT: Think it works now with tile set to 64!
« Last Edit: 2020-05-14 23:14:55 by eefatifa »

eefatifa

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 2020-05-15 17:27:51 »
Sorry for posting twice in a row, but as far as I can tell this version of Moguri doesn't have memoria built in, right? I couldn't find memoria.ini anywhere without installing memoria separetely, I am asking so that I don't have 2 memorias installed/running for no reason.

Thanks!

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 2020-05-15 17:32:05 »
Sorry for posting twice in a row, but as far as I can tell this version of Moguri doesn't have memoria built in, right? I couldn't find memoria.ini anywhere without installing memoria separetely, I am asking so that I don't have 2 memorias installed/running for no reason.

Thanks!
It doesn't, you can download the latest memoria version there: https://github.com/Albeoris/Memoria/releases.
His widescreen fix doesn't work yet and if you see bugs with it, report them and I'll give the message.

decency_breakin3

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 2020-05-16 09:40:31 »
snouz, does the beta contain the orchestra tracks music upgrade? Just Curious if its available to people who just hard copied the beta over their install of the game.

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 2020-05-16 09:50:01 »
snouz, does the beta contain the orchestra tracks music upgrade? Just Curious if its available to people who just hard copied the beta over their install of the game.
Nope, but you can find that by installing Moguri 7, it's a file called \StreamingAssets\p0data61 that contains the music.
I did not change it and Tbh I don't use it and asked zePilot if he would consider changing the name to "alternate" orchestral music, because I find "Enhanced" pretty misleading (when I was a new user, I thought it'd be faithful to the original, but it's completely re-imagined)

eefatifa

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 2020-05-16 10:36:37 »
Widescreen kinda randomly works for me, like in the open world it works but not when I enter towns etc. So I guess it's better to wait for an update to your moguri or Memoria? Since I assume it's a compatibility issue between them.

Thank you for your work.

snouz

• [FR_EN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 2020-05-16 10:48:05 »
Widescreen kinda randomly works for me, like in the open world it works but not when I enter towns etc. So I guess it's better to wait for an update to your moguri or Memoria? Since I assume it's a compatibility issue between them.

Thank you for your work.
It's not a compatible issue, it's a memoria bug issue. You can follow here https://github.com/Albeoris/Memoria/issues. I've given a list of exclusions to Albeoris, but I'm waiting for him to fix the widescreen function.