Author Topic: Adding new enemies  (Read 13503 times)

Karifean

• View Profile
Adding new enemies
« on: 2009-07-17 14:14:25 »
I got a bit of a problem...

I created a new enemy, using Hojo and Proud Clod, and set his attacks, HP, immunities and his AI. The new enemy is in readiness, except for two things.

1. How do I view and change enemy models in Kimera? I cannot find any enemy models anywhere. :-( I would like to change the Doorbull-model - its size and color. Then I would like to give my new enemy that specific model - how to do that?

2. How do I add new encounters? I do not mean in specific screens, but when picking up a materia or something like that. Example, when picking up the Double Cut materia you should fight Gilgamesh. :wink: By the way, I know that I can add encounters to screens using Meteor-tool, but what about the world map? Where can I view its encounters and/or change them? :?

I hope you can help me - thanks already!

gamefac

• View Profile
Re: Adding new enemies
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-17 22:33:34 »
I too want to know how to make my own enemy encounters. Can someone make a video tutorial. It's better because im a visual person.

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-18 00:14:03 »
im perty sure that you can edit the worldmap enemys with meteor if not i think the program you need is reeve or a hex editor

to change the model as far as i can tell it may be possible to add new enemys never actually tried it but you can change the size of the enemy using Proud Clod or kimera

anywho best bet would be to hit up  Gjoerulv with a PM as far as i know he is the only person i know who has done both

gamefac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-18 21:13:16 »
im perty sure that you can edit the worldmap enemys with meteor if not i think the program you need is reeve or a hex editor

to change the model as far as i can tell it may be possible to add new enemys never actually tried it but you can change the size of the enemy using Proud Clod or kimera

anywho best bet would be to hit up  Gjoerulv with a PM as far as i know he is the only person i know who has done both

How did you change the size enemy? I use Proud Clod, but i never seen a feature that lets me edit enemy size. will you show me several steps on how you change enemy size?

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-07-19 10:34:08 »
I am very sure that you can NOT change enemy size using PrC. PrC is an enemy AI and Skill-editor, therefore I used Hojo to set its HP/MP/...
As far as I know, Hojo cannot change enemy size either. I dled Kimera, but I am unable to find the enemy models. Where are they?

What is Reeve? I don't know any program, which is named like that - and I can't find it anywhere.

By the way, how to create new areas using Meteor? How to add new boundary lines and entities? I'd also like to add a new entity to the world map, like Emerald and Ruby. When you go near it, a battle should start (same as with Ruby - a few lines should be said before the fight). It's the Jumbo Cactuar, by the way. :wink:

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: 2009-07-19 16:17:56 »
1. You need to extract the models from battle.lgp. Use Kaddy.

Editing growth is fully possible with AI editing. But if you want an entire new enemy, why not use Kimera?

Remember that the new enemy must be inserted back into battle.lgp with a new unique name. I don't remember the last index, but lets say it's saaa (I don't remember the actual names but it should look something like this: 1st enemy in battle.lgp = is aaaa to aaaz. 2nd = abaa to abaz. 3rd acaa to acaz etc. This is probably not accurate but you get the gist of it, right?) If the last anemy is saaa etc, then the next enemy is sbaa etc. The id is the 2 1st letters in the name: aa = 1, ab = 2, ac = 3 etc. Copy all that starts with, for example, da to a new folder, open the model with chimera, alter it, close chimera, rename the files from db to sb (last index, probably NOT sb though. Only rename the 2 1st letters. NOT all 4) then lastly insert 'em in battle.lgp. You should use Kaddy to create a new battle.lgp.

The next problem is finding the ID to use in the scene. It's the last original ID + 1.

2. Use meteor and Highwind. Find a spot where you want to trigger a battle. Then you need to do some minor field scripting in flevel.lpg. To find the right map with ease use loveless (a proggy that alters dialogue. You can view the actual file name inside flevel.lgp with loveless, thus you know what file to alter). With script editor in Meteor find the place where you want to trigger a battle. E.g after a dialogue. To find a dialogue look for MESSAGE. The MESSAGE is followed by an ID. To find the dialogue you want, just look up the ID in the dialogue section of meteor (there is a dialogue section in Meteor if I'm not mistaken). Then right after the MESSAGE, insert a line and write BATTLE (opcode 0x70) and put the ID inside the parameters. e.g BATTLE (0,E,0) = battle id 14. Or BATTLE(0,E,1) = battle id 270. The 1st param should be 0. The 2 next is the actual battle id. 270 = 0x10E, thus 0E,01 thus BATTLE(0,E,1) (bytes are swapped in memory).

Use Highwind to easily replace the old file with the new one.

Hope this helped.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-07-21 01:46:05 »
I am very sure that you can NOT change enemy size using PrC. PrC is an enemy AI and Skill-editor, therefore I used Hojo to set its HP/MP/...
As far as I know, Hojo cannot change enemy size either. I dled Kimera, but I am unable to find the enemy models. Where are they?
well...there is an address in AI scripts which PrC labeled "SizeScale." I've been thinking that this might have something to do with altering enemy size, but I've tried multiplying it by 10, and adding 10 to an enemy's "SizeScale" and no results...

I'm also making a jumbo cactuar! Even gave it 10,000 needles  :-D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-07-21 02:22:13 »
IIRC, "10" is the default size scale. Try setting the size scale to FF and see what happens...

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2009-07-21 03:44:14 »
IIRC, "10" is the default size scale. Try setting the size scale to FF and see what happens...

It is signed. So making it FFh would make the effective scale -0.0625 (-1/16). Then it's really VERY tiny, upside down, and under the ground. :)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-07-21 03:47:14 »
Oh yeah, it is. IIRC my Guntzilla mod used 7F.

Anyway, he'll still know that it's working  :wink:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-07-21 17:15:27 »

It is signed. So making it FFh would make the effective scale -0.0625 (-1/16). Then it's really VERY tiny, upside down, and under the ground. :)
Haha, that would be pleasant, I'll give 7F a whirl and see how it goes...

Edit: 7F worked like a charm. Only even if I put the code in the pre-battle script, cactuer has to grow at the start of the match. I wonder if there's a way to just make it start out huge...
« Last Edit: 2009-07-21 17:29:16 by titeguy3 »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-07-21 17:39:34 »
Dunno. It can be done with gameshark codes, but I don't think it can be done with AI modding. At one point I wondered whether it might be possible to change their size by changing the formation data, but no :| You might have to make the actual battle model bigger. In the case of cactuar, this might mean you'd need to make another cactuar model, unless cactuar (from the Corel prison) and cactuer (from cactuar island) have different models, in which case you can make one bigger and use the other one for normal sized cactuars.

BTW, if you're wondering, the size scale thingy goes up in 1/16s of the model's original size (which is why hexadecimal 10 is the normal size; 16/16).
« Last Edit: 2009-07-21 17:41:57 by Kudistos Megistos »

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-07-21 17:50:28 »
Thanks for all your posts, but my problems are still not solved...

1. gjoerulv helped me a lot. I've found out what IDs the Cactuar and Doorbull-models are (oaaa and hjaa), but when I change all bones' size, their location gets all messed up...
And one important thing: I still don't know how to give certain enemies certain models! So even if I'm able to create the model, I couldn't use it ingame...

2. gjoerulv helped me a lot here too, but how do I find out the battle ID of my battle? Btw I don't really understand the formation editing in PrC. I've already written the AI for my Omega Weapon.

One more thing: Is it possible to let a spell do 9998 (or 9999) damage in the spell menu (without AI)?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-07-21 19:08:12 »
Dunno. It can be done with gameshark codes, but I don't think it can be done with AI modding. At one point I wondered whether it might be possible to change their size by changing the formation data, but no :| You might have to make the actual battle model bigger. In the case of cactuar, this might mean you'd need to make another cactuar model, unless cactuar (from the Corel prison) and cactuer (from cactuar island) have different models, in which case you can make one bigger and use the other one for normal sized cactuars.
MZAA = Cactuar
OAAA = Cactuer
You should probably just make an original character with a low encounter rate

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #14 on: 2009-07-21 21:08:36 »
Thanks for all your posts, but my problems are still not solved...

1. gjoerulv helped me a lot. I've found out what IDs the Cactuar and Doorbull-models are (oaaa and hjaa), but when I change all bones' size, their location gets all messed up...
And one important thing: I still don't know how to give certain enemies certain models! So even if I'm able to create the model, I couldn't use it ingame...

You'll probably have to change the character ID at the beginning of the scene data. You'll have to split the scene.bin with Scenester or something and change it manually (via hex-editor) and re-join it. I should probably allow PrC to modify that, but there are quite a few scripts that reference enemies by their Enemy ID like that. If the IDs were recklessly changed....

2. gjoerulv helped me a lot here too, but how do I find out the battle ID of my battle? Btw I don't really understand the formation editing in PrC. I've already written the AI for my Omega Weapon.

About Formation IDs.
Currently, PrC is just raw info for each scene and enemy in each encounter. See:
2.3.1 Battle Setup 1 format
2.3.2 Camera Placement Data format
2.3.3 Battle Formation Data
2.3.4 Enemy data format
of the wiki to know what each byte does.

One more thing: Is it possible to let a spell do 9998 (or 9999) damage in the spell menu (without AI)?

Nope. Sorry. :( The closest thing you could do is create two attacks. One that does exactly 5000 damage that calls another attack that does 4980 damage. That's 9980, but still a little shy of what you're going for.
Using AI it's quite easy. In the enemy's AI:
1. store its HP as it is
2. set it to 9998
3. use attack damage type 60h (exact caster's HP) and attack with it
4. reassign the HP from the stored value
that's simple enough.

12  00A0
02  2060
02  4160
12  2060
12  4160
61  270E
12  2070
02  20A0
61  XXXX
60  20
12  2060
12  4160
02  00A0

Takes 46 bytes to do that. Not that large. Replace XXXX with the attack ID and add an 82 after the 02  20A0 to be able to attack one target instead of all (like Light Pillar does). This also assumes that you're not using 00A0 for something else. Change that to your liking as well.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-21 22:39:48 by NFITC1 »

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-07-23 11:23:55 »
Okay, so now I've got everything - except the two things that bothered me in the first place.
1. I guess if it can only be done by hex-editing then I'll have to do that. But ain't there any other way? Could you describe what I have to do a little more? And also, can I resize enemies without AI and relocating all bones?
2. I've read the wiki, and the only part I didn't get is the one about formation IDs. Say I'd edit the very first enemy and put it solely in the very first formation. Would I have to write BATTLE (00,00,00) into Meteor? As for the second formation, would it be BATTLE (00,01,00)? I've tried changing the Guard Scorpion ID fight to the specific formation ID my enemy is in, but it ended up in a critical error on the enemy's first action. The enemy had the guard scorpion's model during the (short) fight, by the way. :-o

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-07-24 18:13:37 »
PUSH(Thread)

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-07-24 18:54:09 »
Okay, so now I've got everything - except the two things that bothered me in the first place.
1. I guess if it can only be done by hex-editing then I'll have to do that. But ain't there any other way? Could you describe what I have to do a little more? And also, can I resize enemies without AI and relocating all bones?

As far as is currently known in the qhimm community, there are only 3 ways to resize an enemy:
1. Modify SizeScale (x4098) variable for the character you're trying to change.
2. Make a new model for your character, convert it, and insert it back into battle.lgp (either overwriting a previous model or making a unique one yourself, then edit the formation data using the animations/formations button in PrC so that the enemy is oriented the way you want it to be.
3. (PSX only) use gameshark cheats

option 1 is the easiest, but has it's downfalls, option 2 is quite tedious but would do exactly what you want.

2. I've read the wiki, and the only part I didn't get is the one about formation IDs. Say I'd edit the very first enemy and put it solely in the very first formation. Would I have to write BATTLE (00,00,00) into Meteor? As for the second formation, would it be BATTLE (00,01,00)? I've tried changing the Guard Scorpion ID fight to the specific formation ID my enemy is in, but it ended up in a critical error on the enemy's first action. The enemy had the guard scorpion's model during the (short) fight, by the way. :-o
I'm not exactly sure what it is you're trying to do here, care to elaborate?

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 2009-07-24 19:03:12 »
^ He's talking about calling a battle in fieldscript.

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-07-24 20:14:06 »
Thanks for answering!

As for the enemy size, the only thing that bothers me about changing it thru AI is that at the very beginning of the game, the Jumbo Cactuar is still small and only grows when the battle really begins. That's just not pretty...
The problem is, that I already can resize all bones of the cactu a/e r without problems BUT their position gets all messed up.

As for the formation ID thing, I'm trying to trigger a battle on a certain point in the game. I'm using Meteor-tool for this. Example: After picking up... uh... say "1000 Needles" materia (just an example), you should fight Jumbo Cactuar, best with boss music.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-07-24 20:25:32 »
And where will the materia and the fight be?  :-D

The problem is that not as much is known about the world map as about the field, and AFAIK we don't know how to put scripted battles (or any new encounters at all) on the world map (meteor can't do it). I hope that Halkun pops up and tells us that this stuff is known  :-D but I don't think he will  :|

Of course, you could always have the Jumbo Cactuar fight triggered by something on the field screen, but I'm not sure where it would be best to have such a fight.

Maybe it could be triggered when leaving the materia cave in the desert to the north of Costa Del Sol, with the player being taken outside when the fight ends? That would be a good way to trigger a fight against the Jumbo Cactuar from the field screen in an appropriate place...

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-07-24 20:49:42 »
At first, my main idea was to create an Omega Weapon battle (same as in FF8, only using L3 Death instead of L5) when picking up the KotR-materia. Compared to Emmy and Ruby, this could've been a battle of equal difficulty.

Then, since there was no solution to my problems with Omega, I started working on Jumbo Cactuar (now renamed to Cactrice), Alpha Weapon (far harder than the other weapons) and Gilgamesh. Cactrice could be fought when picking up HP<->MP, Alpha Weapon when picking up Mime (so you don't just take it asap), Gilgamesh when picking up Quadra-Magic, though I'd like to switch the locations of Double Cut and Quadra-Magic materias, so Gilgamesh is guarding Dbl Cut.

So no, it's not necessary to be on the world map. This should make a lot of things easier - still, I am not able to do it.

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-07-29 19:08:15 »
PUSH(Thread)

Or aren't you able to help me?

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-07-29 19:19:44 »
*waltez in* I'M -NOT- able to help you!

why? not because i dont want to, but because i can't  :mrgreen:

whati  can reccomend is the meteor program which can be downloaded somewhere on these forums, it would allow you to edit what happens in fields like scripted battles from picking up items or materia

i just looked, it doesnt look like metoer is mentioned here but if it is then im sorry for wasting your time.

Izban

• View Profile