Author Topic: Minor problems while emulating FFIX  (Read 9023 times)

MMiller8

• View Profile
Minor problems while emulating FFIX
« on: 2001-05-28 19:27:00 »
Kay,  only lately, I've been experiencing a little slowdown during movies.  I get 1/2 framerate, and the music starts skipping, but after five seconds of that the movie runs fine.  Then it starts up again!  I was using Pete's D3D driver, then updated to the 1.5's, and it still happened.  I am using Null2's Audio Driver 1.3 for sound, and I have the enable sound checked, as well as enable CDDA Sound, Enable XA sound, and Enable SPU IRQ hack, leaving the Enable XA read blank.
  A couple more questions tho...  for example, when a battle starts up, there is a drop in framerate and music slowdown, but then it gets all better.  Is this normal? And in the text boxes, just inside the boundaries, are little black lines surrounding the text. Can I get rid of these too?  And finally, and probably my biggest gripe, is the fact that there are little black lines surrounding the background animations and other things in the normal play screens.  I want to rid myself of those!

I suppose I should give you my system specs, but I assume that these are all WAY above standard for funning this game!
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.2ghz,
384mb RAM,
GeForce2 ULTRA 64mb RAM,
SBLive! X-Gamer 5.1,
Klipsch THX cert. 4.1 speakers,
32x DVDrom. (its not 32 speed for dvds, just for cds)

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2001-05-29 01:13:00 »
Here my config works fine! This is a post I made at the eidos forum pasted in. I was feeling a little crazy then lol but that config works great for me!

Now Threesixtty I have the game perfect! Try this! And TV-Out good for this game!!!!!!
Oh crap I dont have it installed now! So what I will do is take your post and edit it to mine as I remember it!

My configuration (on a Athlon 650 with a Geforce 2 Pro card)

Video Plugin:
(GOOD GOOD! Best to run with!)
Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.49

Fullscreen mode
Change desktop settings = on
Desktop resolution 800x600
Color depth 32bit
Texture Quality r8g8b8a8, Filetered W/O sprites(LOOKS LOVELY!)
Caching type - Heavy
Framerate:
Use FPS limit
Fps limit = 60 Fps (yup!)
Off-screen drawing = 2(Yup!)
Framebuffer texture = Black(That was the battle swirl effect wont slow you down in 800x600x32)
All things on right checked
Misc: Unfiltered framebuffer updates (activeated)

Sound Plugin
(USE NULL! Except for when you crash into evil forest! Then it will crash! UPDATE:My freind passed that point with null yesterday. May be fixed. But wait a few second when buku or someone is shouteing "were gonna crash!")
Activate:
Enable Sound
enable CDDA Sound
Enable XA sound

Configure:
44000HZ, 16bit
buffer length 5-20? (I cant remember my exact value for this sorry)
block 10
reverb
enable Vag stream
linear interpolation (NO NO NO NOT NEEDED HERE BAD BAD!)

Cdrom plugin (BLAGH!!!! ISO ISO ISO WILL EXPLAIN LATER!!!)
TSG Mscdex Driver 1.2
All options off

Right some HUGE Advise for the sound! You have sound blaster live? Turn Reverb onto %28
defulat reverb! Then it will sound just like the Psx version. The sound plaugins dont use enough reverb you see....

Now for the almighty Isos!!!!
Get the demo version of a proggie called CDR Win. Then the option you want is the one with the cd and the hard disk! Top row second along I think! Just okay that and let it do the buiss! Yo ushould end up with a bin file called FFIXDISK1.bin ect ect.
Now in the ePSXe menu goto run Iso! Much better! Good luck!

And some even better advise!!!!
DO NOT USE SAVE STATES!!!! They are glitchey and they are cheating and they take much out of the game. Please if you are addicted to them brake it! ALright? Sorry I seen I bit crazy to night but I feel to hyper for all this okey?  

Any quistions just ask. I know what I doing got it? FFXI Great game! You should hav every plesure playing it! And if your card no has TV-Out but you do have a Tv near you computer try and get one with a TV-Out its worth it take my word for it! Back grounds and FMV are as crisp as the Psx and the characters and battles look atleast 6 times as good! Again good luck! If you get random crash like I did delete emu(IF USEING UNISTALL BACK UP SAVES FIRST OR ELSE IT WILL DELETE THEM!!!!) and delete reg entry then reinstall. SOrry for being but frantic but I have to learn hard way you see?

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #2 on: 2001-05-29 02:51:00 »
For your sound configuration try:

Only enable the Sound. Leave all the others off. If your not using ISO files, you may need to select the second option as well, CD Sound (haven't tested it).
Inside the configuration, enable Vag stream. The rest of the stuff you'll have to play with and see what happens.

things I've found out:
If Vag Stream isn't enabled, you get real  bad sound skipping. Sounds like the sound isn't being converted correctly or something.

If you enable any of the XA sound/read stuff, the sound usually gets muted on the FMV's. If the interval is more that 5ms, you get a noticable delay in sound effects. If Linear interpolation is activated, bad skipping in sound.

The Core plugin sounds good in FMV's but really, really bad during the rest of the game. They need to make a hybrid of the core sound and Null's.

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited May 28, 2001).]

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2001-05-29 14:46:00 »
I choose Nulls. I dont mind the starnge sounding of sword strikes if I get the music straght as good as the psx version. I hope Null can tweak up the sound sometime soon though.

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-06-20 13:45:00 »
Null? I thought it was for people who didin't want any sound.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-06-20 15:34:00 »
Hey Joey! Welcome to club stupid.
thats what I thought for a few days  :D

But no its really a sound plugin.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2001-06-21 20:49:00 »
I also admit to thinking null was for people who didnt wants sound but then i tried it and its the best one.

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2001-06-21 22:36:00 »
I didn't think, period.  When I heard that people could play FFIX on the pc through ePSXe, it was just *dowload... install... test... dowload... install... test... dowload... install... test... * for me.  I got it now!  XD

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2001-06-26 16:23:00 »
VAG is prerecorded wave streams.
null said he was stopping work on his plugin, i think someone else has taken it up.

its actually Null2s SPU plugin
made by Null2, not null.

Reznor007

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ninninetynine
« Reply #9 on: 2001-06-26 06:41:00 »
By the way, a new version of ePSXe was released today.

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2001-06-26 17:51:00 »
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCHHHHWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!