Author Topic: And now wearing glass armor..  (Read 23882 times)

Reunion

• View Profile
And now wearing glass armor..
« on: 2006-07-04 22:02:55 »
Hello everyone!

The past couple weeks I have been working with the .nif model format from TES4: Oblivion. I started to make a viewer program and got bored with that until I realized that they were textured by the amount of vertices, which means that they can be converted into .p models with their texture!

I am currently working on a project that converts 3d studio models into .p files for FF7. It is going well for how little I know about programming... Here's a picture of my prog viewing the Daedric Cuirass model. I have not really done anything with adding groups to each model groups yet but that shouldn't be to hard. As of now the prog can write .p files with or without lighting or a texture. It can also transform, scale, and rotate the model. However I am having a little trouble with the rotating functions it seems to eat the model while rotating...

I replaced cloud with the Daedric armor from TES4 just to see what it would look like. I am going to assume it's the largest model the FF7 engine has ever encountered with 25,545 vertices and 24,978 polygons! I had to bend a few things to get it to fit clouds skeleton so some textures are a little screwed up.

Anyway here are some pictures, I made him huge so you can see him better...
Daedric1
Daedric2
Daedric3
Daedric4
« Last Edit: 2006-07-26 19:54:18 by Reunion »

Borde

• View Profile
Re: Cloud wearing Daedric armor
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-04 22:37:33 »
Hey, that looks really nice Reunion!
It's somewhat sad (for me) to see how Kimera is going to become useless. But who cares. Great job!
By the way, is that armor fully textured or are the details directly embeded in the geometry of the object?

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-04 22:48:29 »
So let me guess this straight, you're actually working on something that would enable ff7 to play new models ?

Wow is all I can say.

Good to know talented people like you (and many others around here too) still care about this game and, more importantly, continue to improve what we can do with this thing!

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-04 23:18:05 »
Hey Borde thanks, Yes the models are fully textured using the UV cords form the TES4 files. The UV cords are placed directly below the vertices and normals in the .p file. The vertex and polygon chunks are simply colored white because they are not rendered since the models have textures applied to them.

If you want I can give you my .p file writing code, my prog does not edit .p files or the colors for that matter, so both would be useful.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-04 23:19:56 by Reunion »

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-05 04:02:36 »
Nice pics, borde don't give up kimera is still the only thing out there that can get new battle models ingame as far as we know, plus well its free allowing for people like me to make models

oh and nice to see Reunion working for us again

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-05 07:23:50 »
Reunion amazing work as always.  You deserve something far greater than "Fast Newbie" under your name.  If our dreams of a .3ds to .p file converter become reality, check out this little project Nii is working on for Garry's Mod.

Link

I know its far off, but its hard not to get excited at the possibilities of this.  Anyways I thought it was pretty good work, give it a look and Nii is accepting help from anyone to complete/improve upon it.

EDIT:
For anyone checking out the forum thread:
1) Skip over the fanboy responsies and critics, I'm sure many don't want to read through a 17 page thread.  The WIP pictures improve upon time.
2) Nii releases Cloud's clothes UVs on page 12 of the thread if any talented skinners can do better than Blackfire's work posted on page 14
« Last Edit: 2006-07-05 07:31:57 by Otokoshi »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-05 16:38:26 »
Hope you release this soon i would really like to use this!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-05 19:47:56 »
You know what? This means we can replace all the models with AC lookalikes if we so desire! Yay AC!

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-05 19:49:47 »
More fanboy gushing ahead:

Awesome work, Reunion!  keep it up!

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-07-05 21:03:34 »
good work there Reunion i knew if any were to do it. It would be you

2 things

1 any lag

2 giving that ff7 is old do you think that the engine take more hi res models?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-07-05 22:26:08 »
Thanks for the offering Reunion. Yeah, it would be neat to add that feature to Kimera, but what I'm wondering is if there will be anyone interested in using this program anymore when they can use 3D Studio. Anyway, if you felt like sending me the code one day, I'd try to append it to Kimera. Thanks again for your hard work.

PD: AC models... great.

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-07-05 23:17:57 »
Quote from: ice_cold513
2 things

1 any lag

2 giving that ff7 is old do you think that the engine take more hi res models?

Well there is no lag on my computer anyway, I'm sure it would on some a much slower computer. The geometry of the model is the same as in Oblivion but the texture files had to be reduced to 256 color, plus ff7 does not use bump maps, normal maps and extremely glossy lighting. So the geometry can be as complex as it wants however the texture quality doesn't really get any better than what you see.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #12 on: 2006-07-06 15:53:07 »
Wow like, you really can create P files from scratch ? Thats nice news ! :) congratz for that

Razgriz/Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-07-06 16:13:18 »
Good God  :-o Thats really amazing  :cry: Imagine playin' with our own custom models... That is, if you know how to model  :roll:

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-07-06 16:41:37 »
Please realease this soon i can't bear it anymore!

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-07-08 14:21:53 »
so uh when should we be seeing this tool

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-07-08 16:19:11 »
Well I'm not really sure yet, I have a few thing I need to add first. The main thing I want to do is add support for groups because this allows you to combine two or more objects and you can still put a separate texture on each model. Also there are some rendering options that groups allow you do do such as transparency..

I am also having trouble with my 3ds loading code, if anybody has a good method it would take care of some major bugs anyway..
Thanks for your help

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-07-08 16:53:47 »
Hey Reunion, if you are programming it under C++ you could use lib3ds. It will make all the job when dealng with 3ds files.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-07-16 16:01:16 »
Sorry for the huge bump, but have you had any luck with this?

Reunion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-07-17 01:47:22 »
sorry I'm rather busy with my summer job, I only have a few hours in the evening to work on it..

Hey Reunion, if you are programming it under C++ you could use lib3ds. It will make all the job when dealng with 3ds files.
Well its in vb but I rewrote it and it seems to be much better. It has not crashed yet but it doesn't load grouped 3ds files it just load the first group it finds.

I'm almost done with the the group support, It can take 4 separate 3ds files and write them as one .p file all with separate textures (or the same..) Here's a picture, the helmet is one file the first two groups are the eyes so the blink like they should. There is some problem with lighting with more than group that's why the lighting is off in the picture.. but I'm sure its a simple fix.

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-07-17 20:52:18 »
This should turn out rather interesting.

How's the battle animation?

Decayrate

• I will be in my LABORATORY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-07-18 00:50:58 »
Good to se you back in the game, reunion :-) .

Btw nice looking thingy you got there :lol:
Looking forward when you have experimented more, with the transfer from .3ds to p.

kutgw (keep up the good work)

typos :/
« Last Edit: 2006-07-18 04:14:24 by tyraNn »

Reunion

• View Profile
Re: And now wearing glass armor..
« Reply #22 on: 2006-07-26 19:53:57 »

hmm I wonder if this can inspire someone to make a editor for the field animations, with custom models we are really going to need one!
If not then try these...
Glass Armor 1
Glass Armor 2

btw: I should be able to release my program this weekend, just a few handling bugs and I should probably write a tutorial for it...
« Last Edit: 2006-07-26 23:47:27 by Reunion »

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-07-26 20:49:21 »
All hail reunion.
Master of FF7.

Creater of field swapping models.
Creater of his program that will rape everything and anything in FF7.

I highly await your program.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006-07-26 22:58:16 »
Well, you've managed to surprise me once again Reunion. How do you set a P file trasparent?