Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Omzy's Field Pack - dramatically improved backgrounds! (2013-07-13)  (Read 275486 times)

Heidern98

So I read your post and dled it on my roomates pc. I guess for whatever reason the link is dead on this pc. Maybe its chrome. Thanks for the help its installing now and im hella excited. Cheers.

obesebear

• View Profile
Are these links up to date?  Megaupload no longer exists, and the special cases link to nowhere.   For those of us who downloaded the previous version, what's the best route to take here?

Omzy

• View Profile
Uploading files to mediafire as we speak, should be up soon. If you've already got the big 3gb pack, you don't need to download it again, just download the fixes and patch your old directory. I'll delete the megaupload thing, just rehashed the old links to the big file.

*Edit
If you've used the .bat scripts that remove the glitched textures from the game, I think these fixes should set you straight, but that .bat file might have removed more than I know, so consider re-downloading the entire 3gb if you think thats the case.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-17 01:09:38 by Omzy »

obesebear

• View Profile
Uploading files to mediafire as we speak, should be up soon. If you've already got the big 3gb pack, you don't need to download it again, just download the fixes and patch your old directory. I'll delete the megaupload thing, just rehashed the old links to the big file.
Great!  Big thanks for spending the extra time to work out those final few kinks.

Omzy

• View Profile
Links are up! Comparison images to follow.

Masamune

• View Profile

*You will still see the message "GLITCH: missed palette write to external texture" but that doesn't mean that the textures are broken, it just means that that message is annoying. There is no fix that I know of for that at the moment. The .bat fix removes all of the lighting, so you have to choose between lighting and error messages, it seems, until someone finds a way to suppress those pesky messages.

You can put "disable_popup = yes" in your custom driver to get rid of those messages.

Omzy

• View Profile
Thanks Masamune, I had no idea that option was available until you and Leonhart just told me. Well, all systems are go, then!

Update: New comparison images posted in first post.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-17 02:43:15 by Omzy »

Salk

• View Profile
This is a dream come true!  :)

If there ever is a modification that *every* FF7 PC owner would never want to part from is this one.

Congratulations on the final release!

BloodShot

• View Profile
I'm curious, since we are basically filtering these backgrounds and upscaling them, couldn't we also physically edit the bgs with photoshop or something to add in more detail? It would take a while, but it would probably be a lot easier then modelling them from scratch like TA does, and could be a nice middle ground to add in a lot of detail to make some of the smaller things less of a blur

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
I've always thought hand drawn backgrounds would look much better than renders.
Hand drawn art fits the FF7 style so much better.
And you're right, it would also allow for much more detail.
Because of the way the textures are tiled, editing them in Photoshop is a real chore.
We need a tool that can create a scene image for editing and then break it back down into tiles.

Omzy

• View Profile
I'm curious, since we are basically filtering these backgrounds and upscaling them, couldn't we also physically edit the bgs with photoshop or something to add in more detail?

We need a tool that can create a scene image for editing and then break it back down into tiles.

That is exactly what the FacePalmer script does. It spits out a scene that can be edited by hand to add detail. You can also edit the filters in the script to do other things instead of simply resizing. I designed it in such a way that you can literally plug-in your photoshop filters into the beginning of the script or modify the variables used by the fractal algorithm just by changing a number. It sounds kind of complicated, but its really not when you look at it. All the complicated stuff is in the meat of the script, figuring out how to separate the foreground and the background and work in all the animations and lighting--you don't need to even worry about those things.

There are, of course, special cases (24 that I edited by hand). Those need to be done from scratch, using Aali's Palmer to get the original exported scenes to edit.

deathnetworks

Has anyone managed to get these repacked into lgp for use on the re-release yet?

Rumbah

• View Profile
I just downloaded the fix files with jdownloader and noticed that it it decompressed the files automatically and deleted the rar files. So my question to avoid redownloading is: Are there any files double in the fixes or are they just replacing files in the main download? That's because I don't know the order they were decompressed.

The fixes decompressed to 449 files with about 411 mb. Is that ok?

CloudXIII

So i downloaded the pack and set the Location in OpenGL to-  facepalmer/

SO heres this:

# ff7_opengl-0.7.8b config file

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = FacePalmer/

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes

# plugins
# a movie plugin is required, the music plugin is optional, but required to make FF7Music work
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

# vertex and fragment shaders
vert_source = shaders/main.vert
frag_source = shaders/main.frag

# YUV fast path shader
yuv_source = shaders/yuv.frag

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# set the window size (and fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 1152
window_size_y = 864
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = yes

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = off

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = no

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = off

# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = no

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = off

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = yes

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd first,
# if this file doesn't exist it will look for the original in the LGP archive
# this option should be used for testing only, performance will take a hit
direct_mode = off

# show every failed attempt at loading a .png texture
# this option is for modders only, it's useful to find out which texture to replace and which palettes it needs
show_missing_textures = no

# Disable Error Notifications
disable_popup = on
===============================================================================

And this.......

and when i load the game, it just doesnt look any different. maybe im missing something???

ANY help would be appreciated

Kompass63

• View Profile
Hi CloudXIII

First off, it is a newer OpenGL driver here.
Also read this report . The two files main.frag and main.vert I've packed into this archive.

Secondly, at the end of the option belongs to the path towards no /.
mod_path = FacePalmer

Thirdly, because the wrong data structure?
In "[game folder]\mods\FacePalmer\field" must be more than 600 subfolders with pictures.

Greetings Kompass63

CloudXIII

OKay, Downloaded and changed OpenGL and removed "/" at the end of the option.

And the data structure was right to begin with- 667 folders with PNGs in them(that was a RAR nightmare being as my system opened a window for every one everytime.)

and thanks for the welcome. im gonna check right now and will post about the changes if any.

Oh and the links to main.frag and main.vert are dead.

CloudXIII

okay so i THINK its working. everything sure looks...........smoother. O.o

but im getting little red error messages from time to time at the bottom of the screen.

but it does look better all my dudes arent legos anymore(some still are) and its smooth(though in some cases the smoothness makes it look too flat(like in sector 6 slums)

Kompass63

• View Profile
Oh and the links to main.frag and main.vert are dead.

That's why I packed the files again in this Zip.Archiv.

but im getting little red error messages from time to time at the bottom of the screen
You have downloaded the fix from the first post and added?
« Last Edit: 2012-08-17 17:38:51 by Kompass63 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
but im getting little red error messages from time to time at the bottom of the screen.

You can disable those messages in Bootloader or manually in ff7_opengl.cfg.

CloudXIII

Downloaded Fix and added. Everything's looking good thus far. gonna DL some HiRes battle models now to finish it off.

quick question. the first field model i changed was in the battle.lgp, so for this new one i copy those files to battle.lgp as well or to field.lgp?

and which string do i change in opengl.cfg to rid myself of the red messages? some invalid something on some screens and the swirly thing that happens before a battle is missing and comes with a red message and something on my battle model cloud.t04 i think.

UPDATE: nevermind couldnt find particular string in the opengl so i just made one.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-17 18:46:14 by CloudXIII »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
MISSING SCENE

I have found a scene that looks to be untouched even with the latest patches. It is Mideel after the Lifestream has wiped it out. You can view it in my video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijIbfnJpFCY#t=0m20s

Hopefully it's a quick fix for Omzy  :)

Omzy

• View Profile
MISSING SCENE

I have found a scene that looks to be untouched even with the latest patches. It is Mideel after the Lifestream has wiped it out. You can view it in my video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijIbfnJpFCY#t=0m20s

Hopefully it's a quick fix for Omzy  :)

Hi EQ2Alyza (everquest name?). I playtested that field scene and it looks fine on my machine. Here's what I think the problem is. You had the field pack installed via Bootleg and you used the option to remove glitched textures. That option removes many files that actually look fine in game. After that, you installed the fix packs. So, the remedy is to reinstall the base FacePalmer without removing any glitched textures, then install the fix packs on top. That should get you a complete game. If you just want to replace the one folder, that field is named 'itown1b'. Soon I'll just release a new download for the field pack that includes everything to avoid more confusion.

*To clarify, 'itown1b' is part of the original release, not part of the fix packs, so it will be located in the big 3gb pack you had to download.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-19 18:32:56 by Omzy »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
I understand exactly what you're saying. Thank you Omzy!

(yes, I used to play Everquest)

Kompass63

• View Profile
*To clarify, 'itown1b' is part of the original release, not part of the fix packs, so it will be located in the big 3gb pack you had to download.

I just searched my folders and can not find "itown1b".
(Downloaded via torrent, added the fixes)
There is "itown_i", "itown_m", "itown_w", "itown1a", "itown2" and "itown12"

I've an "UNEXPECTED: zero count" if I enter Mideel...
« Last Edit: 2012-08-19 19:48:26 by Kompass63 »

ff7_4ever

Hi Omzy,
thank you very much for that cool texture packs.
I download the 3gb pack two days ago but the file "itown1b" was not included.