Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] BerryMapper- texture replacement for Tonberry mod (2014-12-15)  (Read 351612 times)

Encore

• View Profile
Been testing your map Mcindus. I really like it.

But oddly enough, it only seems to work when it feels like it at times.
how to make a map?

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
All you need to do is take Mcindus's test map, run it through whatever photo editing program you use (me, I use GIMP), and turn the opacity down to whatever you feel is suitable for you. I have mine set at 40%. Then just name the picture and the folder you're putting it in accordingly (wm_worldmaptsp) and it should work.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
All you need to do is take Mcindus's test map, run it through whatever photo editing program you use (me, I use GIMP), and turn the opacity down to whatever you feel is suitable for you. I have mine set at 40%. Then just name the picture and the folder you're putting it in accordingly (wm_worldmaptsp) and it should work.

Thanks, Fated! I'm glad this works well for you guys... mostly.  I think I know why it's temperamental as well... read below.

A huge issue I think everyone should know about --  If you are hashing files, remember that different codes can correspond to the same images (or in most world textures, lower resolution images).  For example - the map, sky, and world textures all have different hash codes depending on being in the ragnarok or on foot.  Not sure if all vehicles have different hashcodes (yikes) but the largest issue facing us is finding these different instances and using the codes properly.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
No problem. I figured it was something along the lines of that. Hopefully, that can all be sorted out. Besides, it only activates when you're in the Balamb area. So I just assumed there might be different codes for different areas. And I've ran into that issue with the codes already. Haven't figured out any way to work them out, though.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Okay, I've been hashing and using the textures given. So I want to post progress and whatnot.

So Mcindus, I've been using your test map and went around everywhere to gather the codes. Not sure if this is all of them(or if you already found them all) but here they are if you or anyone else needs them. This way the maps don't disappear anymore.

wm_worldmap_13,18446744073709025978
wm_worldmap_13,18446744073707452842
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036852153267
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036853201843
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036852677299
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036854250427
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036854250419
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036852153011
wm_worldmaptsp_13,18446744073707453883
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036852154291
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036854251451
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036853202867
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036852678323
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036854251195
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036854251443
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036852154035

Second, after creating my own dummy low poly characters from Mago's textures, I believe I've found almost all the hash codes for every character...except Edea. Of course, some of these cause glitches... Like things going invisible. Not sure how to fix that.

And here are some pictures of other things...because why not?

Seifer, in your first battle against him.

Squall with bandages(because I wanted to test out the code).

And Devina's Squall in battle. ...Just because I really like it.

Mortael

• View Profile

Crest's textures for the Ragnarok, not looking too bad! I've hashed only half so far, will have it fully hashed shortly :)

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I believe I have found a reason for some of the transparency/misplaced texture issues.

In the hashing process, when you run across a jumbled mess of colors in one of the palettes, these palettes are either transparent in nature or RAM dumps not to be used.  It's easier to tell transparency vs. non-transparency because there is at least some part of the image that should be used vs. a RAM dump which is just a jumbled mess.  If it looks rainbowish, there are chances it's a RAM dump.  I think the transparency layers are greyscale in nature since varying degrees of Black = varying degrees of transparency, but the greyscale portion may only take up one of the two left image quadrants so don't be surprised if you have a texture that is half image and half RAM dump.  Also - I think that if we use these RAM codes, they cause collisions - or if they are transparency layers and are pointing to non-transparent textures, they fill in textures where there should be none.
This means that to correct this, you need debug dumps where there are errors - with your hash1map, objmap, and textures folders disabled (to get true debug dumps) so that we can sift through these textures and find the RAM dumps vs. the transparency layers.  If you find a RAM dump, berrymap it and then search your hash1map AND objmap files for that code and either remove/replace it with the correct one, or if it's a transparency, replace it accordingly.

I'm not too sure how the objmap codes work, but they seem to supercede any other hashing for texture placements.  If I use the worldmap objmap code instead of the hash1map code, it replaces every transparency layer that exists with the worldmap (the sky, the squaresoft logo, loooolz).  So if we have an incorrect objmap code somewhere, it would stick squall parts on other npcs in different areas, so that might be what's happening.

Okay, I've been hashing and using the textures given. So I want to post progress and whatnot.

So Mcindus, I've been using your test map and went around everywhere to gather the codes. Not sure if this is all of them(or if you already found them all) but here they are if you or anyone else needs them. This way the maps don't disappear anymore.
Code: [Select]
wm_worldmap_13,18446744073709025978
wm_worldmap_13,18446744073707452842
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036852153267
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036853201843
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036852677299
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036854250427
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036854250419
wm_worldmap_13,9223372036852153011
wm_worldmaptsp_13,18446744073707453883
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036852154291
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036854251451
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036853202867
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036852678323
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036854251195
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036854251443
wm_worldmaptsp_13,9223372036852154035
Second, after creating my own dummy low poly characters from Mago's textures, I believe I've found almost all the hash codes for every character...except Edea. Of course, some of these cause glitches... Like things going invisible. Not sure how to fix that.

Thanks, Fated!  I had found a few, but this looks really thorough!
Hope some of what I stated above helps you with your hashing.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-05 20:30:27 by Mcindus »

Mortael

• View Profile
It seems like changing the world map textures causes a massive memory dump for some reason, I checked in my processes, and FF8 was running at 1.2GB of my memory... Whilst using the Ragnarok textures. Theory: It is likely because FF8 is re-reading the textures over and over and over again, a million times over. The world map is of course the biggest problem because it contains the most textures in one 'map' perhaps... It could be the case of conflicting hash codes..? Maybe, the game becomes confused and tries to duplicate the textures over and over instead of replacing the texture...? We'll have to test some more and find out what the problem is, I am certain it is fixable :) Field/Battle seems to have no problems, but the world map is definitely the issue here.

In other news, I'm going to rework the weapon textures that Crest gave me, feel free to help tweak them some more, worked hard on the revolver texture as it is the most important gunblade texture I feel!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dri5j1gg9l2fqiu/FF8weaponsSqReplacement.rar

Re-texturing the Punishment:

« Last Edit: 2015-01-06 13:39:14 by Mortael »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
It seems like changing the world map textures causes a massive memory dump for some reason, I checked in my processes, and FF8 was running at 1.2GB of my memory... Whilst using the Ragnarok textures. Theory: It is likely because FF8 is re-reading the textures over and over and over again, a million times over. The world map is of course the biggest problem because it contains the most textures in one 'map' perhaps... It could be the case of conflicting hash codes..? Maybe, the game becomes confused and tries to duplicate the textures over and over instead of replacing the texture...? We'll have to test some more and find out what the problem is, I am certain it is fixable :) Field/Battle seems to have no problems, but the world map is definitely the issue here.

I've noticed that anything with animations makes the game run like a tortoise.  I tried to replace the ocean and it lags so hard that the game is unplayable.  Are you using objmap codes or hash1map codes for the Ragnarok?  I think we should stick to hash1map codes whenever possible and only use objmap codes when it is absolutely necessary.  I also believe that the game may be replicating the textures as well instead of replacing them - look in your 'error' folder after you run a debug.  Also - Omzy had an issue with memory when he first released Tonberry - so maybe this is a question best answered by someone with some RAM knowledge??

It's my only explanation why the UV is messed up.
If you look at the area around 4 you can clearly see that the 'quad' UV mesh is broken by strange placed tris, so the tile map is wrongly placed on this.
The texture is properly the same as on psx, but it looks like that the UV is smaller as the tile texture and that's might be the reason why the textures aren't displayed seamless.
Kaldarasha -- here is an example of messed up UV/texture coordinates using Crestian's Railroad texture for Balamb town -

« Last Edit: 2015-01-06 22:07:43 by Mcindus »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Squall and Rinoa have been the least glitchy of the bunch. The only issue I've had with Squall is one battle area gets replaced with his low poly texture. Other than that, he's fine for me. Perhaps I should try different methods, I guess. I'm still learning here. Any code that conflicts with the world map I don't use. And as for rainbow colored palettes... I've only ever found one. And I never bothered trying to hash it due to not knowing what it was.

No problem. Looking back, I probably missed the codes for the full screen map... So, I'm sure there are more I missed.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-07 00:15:02 by FatedCourage »

moundar

• View Profile
I have some problems with this mod.

As you can see in the images the textures of Zell are used on other NPCs.
This happened for the shumis in balamb garden and one time for Shou.
From time to time the correct texture is used for a short time.

I used these textures:
Squall: Mortael
Selphie: Shunsq
Zell: Shunsq

I copied the hash codes from the first post to the objmap.csv and to the end i copied Mortaels hash codes.
Maybe this was wrong?

See images:

Edit: I testet Shunsq textures for Squall and only used the hash codes in the first post and the prblem is the same.
If it matters, I use the german version of Final Fantasy 8 and the only other mod used is Seed Reborn(german).
« Last Edit: 2015-01-09 22:04:28 by moundar »

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
Hello moundar,
You say you only use seed reborn, but i see that you also use Eden(upscaled background). Could you disable it( in texture folder change bg/ to bg0/). I don't think anything will change.

When i tried to replace lowpoly models with highpoly this problem appeard. Have you modified field.fs?
Try to disable zell hd texture( rename the ze/ folder to ze0/). If there is still a problem then tonberry is not involved. Maybe field.fs has been modified.

The last reason would be that the templars and zell texture share the same hashcode.
In tonberry folder change debug0 to debug then replay this part. After 5s change debug back to debug0.
Look into the debug/replaced folder. And see if you have the templar texture.
If it is the case then use berrymapper on it and show me the objmap codes.

moundar

• View Profile
Sorry you are right. Eden was enabled too.

I think the Problem is the german version of FF8.
I changed to english and Shou has the correct textures now.
This solved the problems which i had with eden as well.

Are the problems with the german version known?
Maybe the hash codes are different.

I can not test the exact same situation cause i dont have the save anymore.

Edit: I got another hash1map from norwin and now the textures seems to work in the german version.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-11 15:19:36 by moundar »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Okay, after doing some more work, I've come to the conclusion that using the hashmap codes for the characters does resolve the issue with certain objects disappearing. Game will still lag no matter which codes are used though. The only issue with those codes is that it requires a lot of codes to keep the textures from disappearing. And that can be for just one area. So, I've been taking out the glitchy ones and trying to hash the areas those worked in for the hashmap ones.

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
Any updates as of late?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Any updates as of late?

Currently, I have upscaled 80% of the world textures using various techniques in photoshop.  Also, my Balamb Area upscale via HorizonPack is actually a texture -replacement- using the original as a template, while everything else I've been doing is a true upscale of the original. 

My question to you guys is - Should I replace the Balamb textures with true upscaled versions of the original and have a 'upscale' world texture package that is seperate from my -replacement- texture pack?  If so, why?  Or should I just merge the two and release more versions as I replace new areas?

Thanks!

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Should probably post some more, here. I'm thinking about releasing all the objmap codes here for all the characters that have textures. Sure, they do cause certain things to go invisible. But maybe that'll hold things over until I'm able to get all the hashmap codes. Which will take a very long time. Not to mention I'll be away for more than a week starting on Friday, so I won't be able to work on anything. I can also release the hashmap codes I do have, if people want to use those. Guess I'll see.

I most likely won't release my dummy low poly characters, though. For obvious reasons. But I can show to give an understanding.

Here are some more pictures, because why not?

And Mcindus, I like your texture pack so far. I don't care too much about whether or not they are the originals. I'm sure some do. Merging seems like a good option, though. Like you said, you could release more versions. But it's ultimately up to you.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Whether it's original or not, we need to release whatever is available. Just the fact that something is there for the public will motivate others down the road to make their own styles. This happened with FF7, and I believe it can do the same for FF8, given enough time.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
That sounded so sweet to my ears Alyza!!! :P :P Looking forward for any updates!

Halfer

• View Profile
EQ2Alyza, exactly, this is probably what many people do including me. Joined just recently and looking for motivation. I'm going to drop out here that i'm right now working on Squall cgi model and going to plan something huge with it :P .

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
Halfer, that sounds good, as long as it doesn't use proprietary textures from other games.
FatedCourage, it seems everyone wants you to post your awesome new texture converts and hashmap codes you do have, including me.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Whether it's original or not, we need to release whatever is available. Just the fact that something is there for the public will motivate others down the road to make their own styles. This happened with FF7, and I believe it can do the same for FF8, given enough time.

So now I'm just flying the ragnarok around to all of the continents looking for missing textures.  I feel like a kid on a scavenger hunt.  I am about 95% finished with the first release of ALL of the World Textures and putting together the roads right now.  I believe I will have a release in the next few hours!  I ran into a huge problem replacing anything with an animation, as it makes the game lag to an unplayable speed, so the ocean, waterfalls, coastline, the train, etc. are not included in this release.

This was a beast of a project - a lot of time went into organizing these textures together and finding the hashcodes... and I haven't even started putting my own touches on 3/4 of the map.  Right now, everything has been upscaled 4x through various means - aside from the Balamb Area, which is a full texture replacement done by myself with a little help from Crestian.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Since I'm off on a week long adventure tomorrow, I'll now post my progress here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hzna8rzvwicle8j/Texture%20Replacement%20Progress.zip?dl=0

*Update*
New version here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thpfgrw618n0yse/Texture%20Replacement%20%28Alpha%29.zip?dl=0

This contains the textures I've used and the codes for the characters. You'll probably find some extra stuff, too. Use the objmap by itself if you don't want the characters' textures to revert and are fine with objects disappearing from time to time depending on the situation/character in your group. I've put a star next to the codes that I know cause this. Remove them to use. Use my second objmap(just rename it) that I've used in combination with the hash1map codes which fixes quite a bit of the glitches. But the characters will lose their textures from time to time in some areas and some glitches will still occur. Simply because I'm not finished sorting everything out.

Also, if you use my dummy low poly characters, don't facepalm too hard. They were simply made to help me find all the codes. Quistis is especially bad. So fair warning.

I think that's about it... If anything doesn't work, it might be because how I have my textures set up. Other than that, everything should be fine. Have fun.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-26 05:54:43 by FatedCourage »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Oh snap - I finished HorizonPack v2.1 -- CHECK IT OUT! The whole world has been upscaled.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15859.0

Thanks to FatedCourage's hashcodes, we all have a new World Map in this release!
Thanks to Crestian -  A couple of his textures made this release as well!

I had a LOT of fun flying around in the Ragnarok, even though the textures are 1/2 as nice as when you're on land.

Here's a video comparison I did a few days ago before the mod was complete:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-RJUWuAydQ

Let me know if we need more hashcodes! I haven't done a playthrough with these textures yet (which is why Esthar is not complete)

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
In FatedCourage's new texture hashmaps, there are a lot of entries that start with asterisks. Will they still work, or do the asterisks comment those hashes out?