Author Topic: Open GL programming  (Read 4765 times)

Neo_Cortex

Open GL programming
« on: 2004-08-10 21:10:29 »
I would like to start programming Open Gl aplications such as game engines
but I don't know which programming tool is the best and where can I download it.

And what is the difference between visual c++ and visual basic???

Thanks

Magus Spirit

• View Profile
Open GL programming
« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-10 21:27:04 »
What language is the best depends on what you want to program (although I'm a completely C-convinced guy). Anyway, for a game engine, you should use C and/or C++, with perhaps a bit of assembler (of course, there are other languages, such as Delphi, which is good too). However, do not use Visual Basic to program such a thing. It is damn to slow and too limited for a game engine.

Now you're asking for the difference between Visual Basic and Visual C++. These are completely different languages, so I can't make a list of the differences between them. The important aspect is the one I mentioned above: Visual Basic is very slow and too limited, although it is easier. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I've been using Visual basic for years, being reluctant to learn C++. When I finally decided to learn it, I was amazed by all the things I could do with it.

As for your last question, "Where can I download it"... Both VC++ and VB are made by Microsoft, and I guess they would not give you them freely. :lol:

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Open GL programming
« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-10 22:59:47 »
You can download a free C++ compiler, like Dev-C++, and find an online tutorial to get started programming.  However, I'd recommend buying a book, or better yet, taking a class.  I tried learning online for a while and it just isn't as good. :P

Magus Spirit

• View Profile
Open GL programming
« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-11 02:07:40 »
Dev-C++ is indeed a good free IDE/Compiler.

BTW, while you're talking about it, I learned C and C++ online. Of course this is not "clean programming" like a professionnal programmer would do, but it does its job. :lol:

sfx1999

• View Profile
Open GL programming
« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-11 13:45:32 »
If you get dev-cpp, get the freeglut DevPak at http://www.nigels.com/glt/devpak/ .

BTW, you need to change glut.h to freeglut.h with that. Remeber that Dev-C++ has no glaux.h, so you will not be able to follow the tutorials on http://nehe.gamedev.net exactly. You will have to use the glut versions. There will be problems when you need to load bitmaps in those tutorials.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
Open GL programming
« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-11 18:29:07 »
I'm with Aaron on this.  You should definitely take some classes.

Before you think about coding a game engine, I'd recommend taking:

* A class on the basics of C++ (most schools actually offer this in two courses: one on the very basics, and another that teaches you about stuff like dynamic memory allocations, etc)
* A Data Structures class
* A class on Object oriented programming.

Then you might consider looking into GLUT and seeing what you can do.

Also:  Visual Basic is total garbage, don't use it.

Neo_Cortex

Open GL programming
« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-11 22:11:26 »
Thanks for so many replies and good advices! I'll download the files and see what can I do !!

Cyberman

• View Profile
Open GL programming
« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-12 15:43:35 »
Quote from: Neo_Cortex
Thanks for so many replies and good advices! I'll download the files and see what can I do !!

Just think the worst that could happen is you don't get very far.  So keep on plugin. NeHe is good, and loading bitmaps is not a big deal, you just need to be sure you know how to decode that particular bitmap at the time.  I've even used JPEGs :D

Cyb