Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread  (Read 309571 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread
« Reply #300 on: 2012-08-06 18:39:53 »
The folder structure is different (a lot of stuff is sub-divided by language). The original exe probably wouldn't be able to find everything. Like I said, there's a ton of new stuff at the END of the exe, which doesn't appear to be SecuROM-related (that's all near the beginning). My best guess is that much of the new programming is there, and it cherry-picks what parts of the original it needs. Super magic pointers.

Here is a list of dlls that I found:
Code: [Select]
avcodec-52.dll
avcore-0.dll
avformat-52.dll
avutil-50.dll
libeay32.dll
libmpg123-0.dll
libogg.dll
libssl32.dll
libvgmstream.dll
libvorbis.dll
libvorbisfile.dll
paul.dll
phonon4.dll
QtCore4.dll
QtGui4.dll
QtNetwork4.dll
QtWebKit4.dll
QtXml4.dll
QtXmlPatterns4.dll
quazip.dll
ssleay32.dll
unicows.dll
plugins\designer\qwebview.dll
plugins\imageformats\qgif4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qico4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qjpeg4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qmng4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qsvg4.dll
plugins\imageformats\qtiff4.dll
Most of them appear to be related to Qt, which I suspect is only used for SecuROM (unless there's a config screen I haven't seen that uses 'em). I know paul.dll is securom. There's also a few that pretty clearly belong to the new music player (libmpg123-0, libogg, libvgmstream, libvorbis, libvorbisfile).
The English translation appears to be the same. I don't have any of the other original translations to compare to, but I'd bet they are the same also. Interestingly, it does come with four (English, Spanish, French, German) rather than just one. Even a few of the movies are duped, with different versions by language. I'm hoping this means that translation will be as simple as choosing a language in the launcher.
Not quite. The MIDI lgp files (awe.lgp, midi.lgp, xg.lgp, ygm.lgp, and some soundfonts) are still included, but they appear to be unused. It uses an OGG player and includes OGGs made from the MIDIs (stupid), but those OGGs should be easy enough for anybody to replace. I bet the OGGs that Sir_Awesome III looped from FinalFan Tim's remastered OST work without anything more than dropping them in the right place and renaming 'em.
So the filesystem is different layout, but if you put the files into the right place or altered the 1.02 EXE to find the new place for the files would it work with the old EXE ? if its possible we may be able to just allow new users to move the files around (or use a BAT to rename files) and use the old 1.02 EXE (just incase the new EXE can't be altered due to securom protection)
Also i haven't ever seen Qt used in securom so i doubt its that (although there is a first time for everything) and a few of those DLLs look video related (possibly to decode the new video's ?)

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: 2012-08-06 20:01:40 »
Just keep in mind I'm sure that would prevent new features like achievements from functioning..if you care about that sort of thing :P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: 2012-08-06 23:30:10 »
Dear Andrew Covarrubias,

Thank you for ordering from Square-Enix, Inc.. At your request a return has been initiated. Your request to return items will expire in 7 days. You must follow the instructions below before your request expires. We are unable to issue a refund before these instructions are followed.

Please go to the link below to access the terms and conditions for your refund.

(removed)

We will continue processing your refund for each product where you have accepted the terms and conditions. Once you have accepted the terms of the return, your refund should appear within 5-7 business days.

Return Request Details:
Order ID: (removed)
Order Date: August 4, 2012
Return Reference Number: (removed)
Reply Due By: August 13, 2012

If you have questions about your order, please visit: www.findmyorder.com

Please note: This email message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Square-Enix, Inc. Customer Service
www.findmyorder.com

...I didn't make any such request. I'm guessing they sent this email to everyone who purchased it.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: 2012-08-06 23:42:38 »
Heh, sneaky Squeenix.

I seriously hope they plan on using this extra time to add the ACTUAL GAME OST at least.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: 2012-08-07 06:19:10 »
My biggest hope is that this will bring a lot more attention, and hopefully more talent, to FF7 modding.

It's too bad we can't do EXE mods unless somebody cracks it or something though.
my thoughts exactly :)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #305 on: 2012-08-07 13:56:12 »
Most of them appear to be related to Qt, which I suspect is only used for SecuROM (unless there's a config screen I haven't seen that uses 'em). I know paul.dll is securom. There's also a few that pretty clearly belong to the new music player (libmpg123-0, libogg, libvgmstream, libvorbis, libvorbisfile).

the Qt Stuff has Nothing to do with secruROM.  Phonon is for Multimedia
and the is related to Either Gui Creation (QtGui4.dll) or network/web display(QtNetwork, QtWebView,xml , etc..) They are using QuaZip for decompresion of archive the plugins are for view imageformats and generally included only when you staticly build or expect support to be missing from your target system.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: 2012-08-07 14:00:46 »
qt is a programming environment for C.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: 2012-08-07 14:10:41 »
the Qt Stuff has Nothing to do with secruROM.  Phonon is for Multimedia
and the is related to Either Gui Creation (QtGui4.dll) or network/web display(QtNetwork, QtWebView,xml , etc..) They are using QuaZip for decompresion of archive the plugins are for view imageformats and generally included only when you staticly build or expect support to be missing from your target system.
I know that Qt is often used for GUI creation. The reason I guessed a connection with SecuROM is because SecuROM is the only thing I've witnessed in this game with any sort of GUI: dialogs, buttons, inputs, etc. before activation.

Then again, I suspect configuration is done in the launcher. There was no separate config exe to be found anywhere. I also couldn't find any .cfg or .ini files that might be the config (closest was lang.ini, but I looked and that's all DRM stuff) in the game's folder (they probably moved it because of VirtualStore and UAC) or in the user AppData folder, nor any significant configuration in the registry, so it's probably safe to say this stuff is all created on first run.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #308 on: 2012-08-07 14:51:58 »
qt is a programming environment for C.
note entirely true when it is a native C++ system , Qt has binding for many languages among them are C#, python, java, ada, ruby, perl, BASIC,Lua , PHP, Pascal and  possibly a few others.

I know that Qt is often used for GUI creation. The reason I guessed a connection with SecuROM is because SecuROM is the only thing I've witnessed in this game with any sort of GUI: dialogs, buttons, inputs, etc. before activation.

Then again, I suspect configuration is done in the launcher. There was no separate config exe to be found anywhere. I also couldn't find any .cfg or .ini files that might be the config (closest was lang.ini, but I looked and that's all DRM stuff) in the game's folder (they probably moved it because of VirtualStore and UAC) or in the user AppData folder, nor any significant configuration in the registry, so it's probably safe to say this stuff is all created on first run.

i also what exactly they used it for , just seams a lot for just securRom mainly phonon and the picture codecs i find to be odd for it.  i guess we will all just have to wait and see. 

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: 2012-08-07 16:13:41 »
Hey Covarr, enjoy your free copy mate, Squeenix is giving it out free to anyone who "accidentally" bought it.

This weekend, our teams were testing the product website for the upcoming relaunch of Final Fantasy VII on PC. While the website was being tested in its live state, a small number of people were able to purchase a pre-release build of the game. For those customers, Square Enix will be offering full refunds for the purchases and for their inconvenience, a free version of the classic Final Fantasy VII on PC when it is launched.

We want to thank our community for their continued support and excitement regarding the upcoming rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. We will have more information to share about the launch of this anticipated title shortly.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-07 16:16:09 by DragonNinja »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: 2012-08-07 16:14:47 »
Hey Covarr, enjoy your free copy mate, Squeenix is giving it out free to anyone who "accidentally" bought it.

Why wasn't I fast enough!  FUCK!   ;D Congrats Covarr

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: 2012-08-07 16:22:04 »
Why wasn't I fast enough!  FUCK!   ;D Congrats Covarr
I thought you said you didn't want it! :D

The thread in the escapist forums regarding this release has been going crazy with arguments, some saying that people have no right to expect a working game that they paid for, since it was released by accident (lolwut) and others saying that they do, especially since they weren't able to get refunds when they called about it. Refunding absolutely everyone and giving the game away should definitely serve to quell this issue. I've gotta say, I'm heartily impressed with Square-Enix's ability to save face after such a colossal screw-up; companies this large (except VALVE) usually don't do nearly so well with customer service.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: 2012-08-07 17:15:28 »
" This weekend, our teams were testing the product website for the upcoming relaunch of Final Fantasy VII on PC. While the website was being tested in its live state, a small number of people were able to purchase a pre-release build of the game. For those customers, Square Enix will be offering full refunds for the purchases and for their inconvenience, a free version of the classic Final Fantasy VII on PC when it is launched.

We want to thank our community for their continued support and excitement regarding the upcoming rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. We will have more information to share about the launch of this anticipated title shortly."

So Cov is getting the final version for free and the version he has is apparently a Pre-release build...which would hopefully explain the Midi quality OGGs

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: 2012-08-07 17:19:18 »
If they're already doing a live test on the web site AND still working on the game, then there's a serious problem.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: 2012-08-07 17:36:16 »
So Cov is getting the final version for free and the version he has is apparently a Pre-release build...which would hopefully explain the Midi quality OGGs
I suspect this build was intended to be final, and the OGGs were an oversight; they clearly INTENDED to fix the music. However, now that the community has complained, they will no doubt fix it. They probably wouldn't mention that it's a pre-release build otherwise.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: 2012-08-07 17:43:51 »
I thought you said you didn't want it! :D

Yeah truth is I don't ;)  Still, I am a FF7 fanatic and I wouldn't mind dissecting any differences (esp since it may even help me mod regular ff).  If someone offered me  free version though, I'd take it of course!  By looks of things though, graphically it is gonna be the same aside from some rough edge removal. 

I wonder if aali can use the new ff7 game to maybe spruce up a real time upscaler (assuming they have in this new ff7)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: 2012-08-07 17:52:14 »
I wonder if aali can use the new ff7 game to maybe spruce up a real time upscaler (assuming they have in this new ff7)
As I recall (I may be wrong), he looked into upscaling backgrounds via shader, but was too limited by glsl; he would've needed Direct3D for it. Heck, Mako even gave him a shader to use, but it was written in Direct3D's hlsl, not OpenGL's glsl. I don't feel like digging up the post, but I'm fairly certain it's somewhere in the driver feedback thread though.

This was all quite some time ago though, so I may be misremembering or have misunderstood what happened.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 2012-08-07 18:27:32 »
Sounds likely.  Shame the languages differ :(

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #318 on: 2012-08-07 23:47:39 »
considering most people here have jobs, if it looks like buying the game for 13 dollars is gonna save them a bunch of hours working on mods in one way or another, the time gained by those 13 bucks will be worth a lot more than the purchase price

and of course, as long as one doesn't shout to the world about it, they can always just get one of the absolutely inevitable cracked versions ( and yes, those are viable to use because usually, cracks have to be applied and don't come pre-installed )

Terid__K

« Reply #319 on: 2012-08-10 20:33:49 »
The page is up again, but gives me an error when I try to buy it. Oh well, at least I can see the screenshots now (doesn't look like they're upscaling the backgrounds, and good old black outline around textures is back).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: 2012-08-10 21:11:29 »
http://thelifestream.net/ffvii-pc-re-release-the-accidental-early-release/

I gave my report to Shademp who posted it here.  I was given a few files from one kind stranger and then the full game from another kind stranger ;) but I have deleted it now anyway since it is useless.  I am a little pissed off that the main files are all the same (though I have been saying they would be since the start).

The only cool thing aside from looping ogg is the possibility of a new card minigame.... but even that is likely to be a gimmick.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-11 00:29:35 by DLPB »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #321 on: 2012-08-11 02:10:18 »
do you recall if they are using the same save files?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: 2012-08-11 02:37:41 »
You know what I didn't check!  I was more obsessed with the graphics :(  But given all the ones I checked were the same, I'd be incredibly surprised if they had changed something that wasn't broken at all... and given the data in the main exe was same (and no text changes), it is even more unlikely.

Covarr will know, luckily!  And he will probably be one of the first here to get his hands on a fully functioning game so I hope he comes here and reports the ingame changes  8)

I think most of the mods here including Black Chocobo are going to be fine.  By the looks of it, it is mods like mine (that edit exe) that may have biggest issue, especially if the exe has check sum protection.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-11 02:39:20 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: 2012-08-11 03:04:27 »
You know what I didn't check!  I was more obsessed with the graphics :(  But given all the ones I checked were the same, I'd be incredibly surprised if they had changed something that wasn't broken at all... and given the data in the main exe was same (and no text changes), it is even more unlikely.

Covarr will know, luckily!  And he will probably be one of the first here to get his hands on a fully functioning game so I hope he comes here and reports the ingame changes  8)

I think most of the mods here including Black Chocobo are going to be fine.  By the looks of it, it is mods like mine (that edit exe) that may have biggest issue, especially if the exe has check sum protection.
I couldn't find the save files. It didn't create any, since I couldn't get past the DRM, and I didn't see any signs of a folder for them being created elsewhere (for example, the appdata folder and the my documents folder were among the first places I checked) because UAC makes Program Files save folders a bad idea anymore. At any rate, I can say with certainty there was no save folder in the ff7 folder.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 2012-08-11 03:11:41 »
Must just be because it is pre-release?  Incomplete... or maybe just the DRM thing.  But I can't see a reason for them not using the old saves.  Surely they wouldn't have redesigned that when they didn't bother elsewhere?

;D  I guess you will see!  When does the official release happen anyway, I was told this weekend?