Author Topic: [WIP] Hojo Lifeform  (Read 24641 times)

eliwolfe92

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Hojo Lifeform
« Reply #25 on: 2015-03-21 20:17:54 »
Thanks, I'll definitely give those a read. My goal is to attempt to re-model / texture Barret's many hand cannons to go with Timu Sumisu & Millenia's HQ Barret Model a bit better. I figured that shouldn't be too hard for a first project.

Zervox

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2015-03-26 04:55:10 »
Like the model, Just thought I'd pop in a suggestion, the 10k poly limits is this due to using auto mesh pruners(decimators) or retopologizing manually? I found 3D Coat a supreme tool for manually retopologizing meshes(Actually not half bad going low poly to higher poly either just to get the base shape the same) allowing you to get really good detail and low poly at decent speed(the retopology tools are quick to learn and easy to use).
« Last Edit: 2015-03-26 05:59:18 by Zervox »

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2015-03-30 11:14:54 »
No offense, but is that the final texture for Hojo lifeform? It kinda looks amateur-ish, as if you just painted over the model with a brush.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #28 on: 2015-03-30 11:53:46 »
Sadly this is probably why there isn't much being released here now. Curious how critical people are who haven't released any work themselves. Finalized or not I'd be seriously surprised if this model was released here now. 
« Last Edit: 2015-03-30 11:55:41 by cmh175 »

DanTsukasa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2015-03-30 15:29:44 »
I think it started because the initial criticism was quite strong and harsh.

« Last Edit: 2018-05-04 16:58:03 by DanTsukasa »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #30 on: 2015-03-30 16:27:02 »
Discussion and input has been hit or miss on this thread. Constructive is great and helpful, particularly if you can provide detailed or technical input. Just saying someone's work is amateur-ish isn't necessary or helpful (which btw...that's all of modding. Professional work will generally cost you).

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2015-03-30 19:31:44 »
Sadly this is probably why there isn't much being released here now. Curious how critical people are who haven't released any work themselves. Finalized or not I'd be seriously surprised if this model was released here now. 
Pardon me? Now it's the peoples fault, who DARE to criticize anyone, that no more new mods are being released? What kind of a messed up conclusion is that even? Are you even serious?

Now people are not even able to constructively criticize, even when it`s appropriate? Did you consider my post as particularly rude, or what? Because it didn't look like that to me. I'm not even that kind of person that criticizes in an offensive and disrespective way, but I've seen people like that here, too. I caution you to not throw me in the same bag...

You know what, to me it seems distressing forum-moderators are the thing, that scare most people away from these forums...
« Last Edit: 2015-03-30 19:34:57 by Fischkopf »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #32 on: 2015-03-30 19:47:19 »
Discussion and input has been hit or miss on this thread. Constructive is great and helpful, particularly if you can provide detailed or technical input. Just saying someone's work is amateur-ish isn't necessary or helpful (which btw...that's all of modding. Professional work will generally cost you).

You hit the nail on the head with this one.  Instead of making judgements, people need to contribute suggestions.

Finished.

I think this mod would be awesome, and what you have done with both of your models is really sweet.

IMO, this image just needs a little bit of color correction.  I do agree with the need to lower the poly count, but only in certain places in the image that seem 'too' detailed, if that makes sense.   As far as the color -- if you put a 'muted' version of yellow or blue where the two tones meet, your blending will be smoother and it will make your coloring a bit less jarring.  How to do this is odd, because of the color in this image.  To mute out a color (towards grey/black) you add the complimentary opposite color on the standard color wheel (and maybe some white).  This is hardly obvious and because these colors are ALREADY the opposite of each other, it's tricky.  Also, you have a very bright yellow that contrasts a lot where there are highlights.  In my experience, if you mute the highlights, you will have just as much of a drastic result without the outline seeming 'out of place'.  Also, I'm not sure if you can do this, but if you change the blue by less than 10% where it meets the yellow (darker OR lighter, whatever floats your boat), you might also get some good results.

That's how you help out a modder.

On that note... I hope that helps... lol.

Pardon me? Now it's the peoples fault, who DARE to criticize anyone, that no more new mods are being released? What kind of a messed up conclusion is that even? Are you even serious?
Now people are not even able to constructively criticize, even when it`s appropriate? Did you consider my post as particularly rude, or what? Because it didn't look like that to me. I'm not even that kind of person that criticizes in an offensive and disrespective way, but I've seen people like that here, too. I caution you to not throw me in the same bag...
You know what, to me it seems distressing forum-moderators are the thing, that scare most people away from these forums...

Maybe the moderators are the ones you scare YOU away, but your critique offered VERY little help -if any- and labeled the work 'amateurish' as a description of it's flaw.  That would scare any moderately insecure artist away. Esp considering we ALL have a level of insecurity about our work - be it the level of quality, the expression itself, or the flaws we notice later.  You are way too defensive about someone telling you that you need to provide more feedback than a passive aggressive jab, and I think that you should analyze your own methods of communication first and foremost if that impression wasn't your intent.

Not jumping down your throat here, dude... just trying to give you some perspective from this side of the fence. (artist, not moderator)

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2015-03-30 19:49:48 »
He was saying that your post hardly encouraged anyone.  Even if you say no offense some people will take offense to it and think that you are saying that their work isn't good enough and stop.  Not saying this author of the mod is like that but you may want to think of a better way of just casually throw their work aside which can discourage most people.  Well that is my 2 cents at least and my take on it.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2015-03-30 20:41:35 »
Oi. Don't make me pull out my suspension gun. This is a drama-free zone, and I intend to keep it that way. That said, allow me to quote the rules:

• Be constructive with your criticism, if you like someones work then take the time to explain why rather than cluttering a thread with random words like "Nice" or "Cool". Similarly, if you don't like the work then be polite enough to offer advice on how it could be improved.

This rule serves a two purposes. First, a post that insults someone's work without providing any insight onto how it could be improved could be (and usually is) seen as mean-spirited. Second, it doesn't actually help anyone; even if no offense is intended, it's a waste of a post because you haven't said anything helpful.

Now, then, let's try not to derail the thread. Any further posts not directly pertaining to Wolfman's model, will receive a +35 warn. ~Covarr

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2015-04-02 17:59:47 »
I'm working on detailing the texture. Give me some time and you will see a much better model.

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2015-04-29 00:10:18 »
I understand this is a WIP but to me he just looks about the same as vanilla in terms of qaulity wise.

will you be making him look highly detailed and closer in line to the original art as he does in this screenshot

it's always good to have a comparison shot of the original as well, here is the original next to yours, to me they about the same in terms of qaulity.

« Last Edit: 2015-04-29 00:16:39 by Rufus »