Author Topic: Aali's driver [v 0.7.8b] Help/Bugs/Suggestions  (Read 182740 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aali's driver [v 0.7.8b] Help/Bugs/Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: 2010-06-23 19:26:54 »
Another modpath bug; the file extension is always stripped from filenames before loading anything from the modpath. In battle.lgp textures have names like cloud.t01, cloud.t02 etc which means they all end up loading the same texture from the modpath. I guess noone is using it for battle textures yet, but just in case you were planning on doing it, it probably wont work right.
just a question about the modpath, can you nest directories and it will still find files? For example:
worldmap texture is "grass01"
i place the grass01.PNG in "ff7/modpath/WMRP/grass"

would that work? sorry i don't have anything to test it on right now otherwise i simply would.

lee

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-06-23 20:08:44 »
Not at the moment, no, whichever filename it prints with show_missing_textures is the one and only filename it will try. And although I wish it was somewhat better organized, I do not plan on going in that direction. (No, I don't have a better idea yet :P)

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-06-23 20:41:41 »
Hi Aali,

Is there a way to load several .dll's using load_library?
I can only seem to load one at a time.

Thanks.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #28 on: 2010-06-23 21:13:21 »
Yay, no more annoying crashes related to wind.wav (direct mode)!!!
Thank you.

Also, what do you think about this feature, Aali?

===========================

And again, I've got the same crash I've already described here:

<APP log>
<FF7music log>
<dump>

In this time it happens ALWAYS on the same place, right when I start the fight with Giant Icicle in "Gaea's Cliff inside" or after few battles in that area. Any idea how can eliminate this bug? ;< I've already tried to change some GPU setting for ff7.exe, like, vsync, triple buffering, multithread mode, etc - nothing helps ;< And I can't update my drivers too (there is a reason., too much to explain).
« Last Edit: 2010-06-23 21:56:34 by Kein »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-06-23 21:42:31 »
Timber: Since there is to my knowledge only one mod floating around using this feature i can only assume you made the other .dll yourself. In this case, it should be a simple matter for you to add code loading the second dll from your own.

Kein: Doesn't really fit the scope of this driver, perhaps you should get a better window manager?

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #30 on: 2010-06-23 23:04:50 »
Ok, but whats' about that crash? I barely doubt it is nvidia's ogl drivers fault, since it is a first crash for me of some game/application based on OpenGL API. Old good 182.50 proved himself as a stable ones for a long period of  time.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-06-23 23:09:24 »
This is a great new version. Just a suggestion for the next one, though : is it possible to add an option, in ff7_opengl.cfg, to remove the yellow and red notifications, at the bottom of the screen ? Like the "ERROR : could not open file AAAF2.RSD" and stuff ?

Otherwise, I noticed that you improved the GUI's transparency :) Even the submenus are transparent now. Very cool.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-06-23 23:53:34 »
No I did not "improve the GUIs transparency", most likely you just didn't update the vertex shader.

Those messages are there for a reason, you will not see any of them with original data or wellbehaving mods. (Unless something really goes wrong)
There is a way to turn them off since 0.7.8b because after all it was not in the original game and so should be optional. The option is called disable_popup, turn it on and you will never see them again. I beg all of you modders out there to leave it off however so these issues will not continue to go unnoticed and end up in even more released mods.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-06-23 23:53:49 »
to my knowledge only one mod floating around using this feature

Actually there are 5 in this thread that can be used with it: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8761

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-06-24 00:04:36 »
No I did not "improve the GUIs transparency", most likely you just didn't update the vertex shader.

Those messages are there for a reason, you will not see any of them with original data or wellbehaving mods. (Unless something really goes wrong)
There is a way to turn them off since 0.7.8b because after all it was not in the original game and so should be optional. The option is called disable_popup, turn it on and you will never see them again. I beg all of you modders out there to leave it off however so these issues will not continue to go unnoticed and end up in even more released mods.

Thank you very much for the info, it's great to be able to disable those messages. I'm no model-creator, and it got tiring to see those messages appear when battles / field files were loaded.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-24 00:06:54 by Armorvil »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-06-24 00:12:11 »
Actually there are 5 in this thread that can be used with it: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8761

Oh thats clever, didn't think about FF8. That launcher still works though, doesn't it? This isn't really how I intended that option to be used so I dunno if I want to expand on it.

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-06-24 01:35:25 »

Thank you very much for the info, it's great to be able to disable those messages. I'm no model-creator, and it got tiring to see those messages appear when battles / field files were loaded.

Before you disable them, have you bothered the creators of any models you use about them? Those errors aren't there just to irritate you, they're there to make the mod-makers not publish incomplete or broken mods. I personally think that we'd all be happier in the long run if you couldn't turn them off.
Kill the messages if you must, but bother the mod-makers of any mods you have installed about the errors first.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #37 on: 2010-06-24 01:37:40 »
Not sure if it's a but, but now, attack lines of FortCondor's units are non-transparent anymore: click

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-06-24 02:21:52 »
Not sure if it's a but, but now, attack lines of FortCondor's units are non-transparent anymore: click

I can't even begin to imagine why that happened but I will look into it.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #39 on: 2010-06-24 02:23:55 »
Aali
Also, as I said, those crashes is not a driver's fault. Just for such sake I've installed bloated 257.xx and here it is:

<APP.log>
<FF7music.log>
<dump>

Something in your driver incorrectly uses some OGL API instructions. I wonder if we can debug it somehow...

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-06-24 02:34:11 »
Well, the crash is happening from a very standard draw call that hasn't changed at all the last 10 or so versions. So, either you have a broken model somewhere (can you reproduce with original data?) or there's something really weird going on.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-06-24 07:48:53 »

Oh thats clever, didn't think about FF8. That launcher still works though, doesn't it? This isn't really how I intended that option to be used so I dunno if I want to expand on it.

Yeah the launcher still work, it's just convenient being able to bypass it :)
Don't worry about expanding it if it's too much effort, just wanted to know if there was a way to do it currently.

Also, the FPS overlay doesn't seem to work on FF8.

EDIT: Also in FF8 the battle transitions are just thin black lines, and Squall doesn't have a shadow on the world map.
I tested without the driver, and the battle transitions worked well, and Squall has a shadow (although the shadow looked messed up since without the driver the transparency doesnt seem to work)
« Last Edit: 2010-06-24 07:55:59 by Timber »

smf052910

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-06-24 09:43:59 »
Is it supposed to look like Software Renderer and drastically reduce my FPS? Compare Software to Direct3D to OpenGL.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-24 22:06:07 by smf052910 »

mefi100

« Reply #43 on: 2010-06-24 17:24:05 »
Hey Aali, just thought of putting this also here since the bug I got is regarding Your newest release
Is TA's mod compatible with Aali's newest (0.7.8b) driver ? i'm asking cause I tried it today and dunno what goes wrong but can't install T.A.G.O. When installer is run I get this:
Aali's custom driver is not installed, or not installed correctly. please reinstall...
The game runs fine with Aali's driver, got no graphical problems just this :
 ERROR: could not read from file c:\users\mefi\games\Final Fantasy 7\ff7input.cfg (0)
 but i already created ff7input file.
Can this cause problem with compatibility to TAGO?
And how can I solve the ff7input prob, already tried deleting, and creating a new one.

This is because aali's newer drivers do not modify the registry the same way. the easiest fix is to download one of the older versions and run the ff7opengl.reg.

« Last Edit: 2010-06-24 17:26:07 by mefi100 »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-06-24 19:48:08 »
Hey Aali, just thought of putting this also here since the bug I got is regarding Your newest release
Is TA's mod compatible with Aali's newest (0.7.8b) driver ? i'm asking cause I tried it today and dunno what goes wrong but can't install T.A.G.O. When installer is run I get this:
Aali's custom driver is not installed, or not installed correctly. please reinstall...
The game runs fine with Aali's driver, got no graphical problems just this :
 ERROR: could not read from file c:\users\mefi\games\Final Fantasy 7\ff7input.cfg (0)
 but i already created ff7input file.
Can this cause problem with compatibility to TAGO?
And how can I solve the ff7input prob, already tried deleting, and creating a new one.

This is because aali's newer drivers do not modify the registry the same way. the easiest fix is to download one of the older versions and run the ff7opengl.reg.

This is not a problem with aali's driver. it is a problem with the avalanche installer. The next avalanche release will not have this problem.

mefi100

« Reply #45 on: 2010-06-24 20:50:13 »
oh, ok.
BTW can U tell me what program did You use to remodel menus in FF7 ? Id like to try it myself, and maybe if i'll come up with something nice i post it here for TA's use :)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-06-24 20:56:46 »
Photoshop.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #47 on: 2010-06-24 20:58:33 »
Well, the crash is happening from a very standard draw call that hasn't changed at all the last 10 or so versions. So, either you have a broken model somewhere (can you reproduce with original data?) or there's something really weird going on.
Any idea how I can find this broken model (if it's a cause)?

mefi100

« Reply #48 on: 2010-06-24 21:02:52 »
Photoshop.
simple as that :) how about if I would like to change the positioning of the stats, boxes etc? (making side bar wider or location window more narrow, and reposition level or limit gauges)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-06-24 21:06:20 »
No idea, look in the menu reconstruction thread. Anyways this isnt relevant to the topic at all.