Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* Battle Scene Reconstruction  (Read 103913 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
*OFFICIAL* Battle Scene Reconstruction
« on: 2010-11-16 22:23:32 »
8/89 finished

-=BATTLE SCENE RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT=-

The aim of this project is to retexture the various Battle Scenes found throughout Final Fantasy VII. By battle scenes, i mean the locations you enter when you are involved in a random encounter. The steps for refinishing these scenes is fairly straight forward now that Aali's custom driver can inject PNGs into the battle scenes.Most battle scenes contain between 4-6 textures TOTAL! This means that anyone with a bit of spare time can contribute to this project, and possibly learn a bit more about texture creation.
-=GETTING STARTED=-
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ecc0cxpaad9e11w/Zangan.zip
That is a link to Zangan, it allows you to view battle models to verify the right one. Unfortunatly PNG support in FF7 did not exist when it was created, so you cannot preview your modified scenes with it. Some time is saved with it, and if you convert your textures to TEX files and import them into your battle.lgp, you can view them from within Zangan.
-=VERIFYING TEXTURE LOCATION=-
This is not required, but some scenes are difficult to determine where certain textures appear.

The easiest method I found for identifying where textures appear in is to create 512x512, white textures that have numbers on them. If your chosen battle scene has 5 textures, create white textures each individualy numbered 1-5. Save them with generic names.

Now open FF7 config and make sure that show_missing_textures in enabled. Start FF7 and get into a battle in the scene you have chosen to re-texture. Win the battle, and close FF7. Now open you APP.LOG and scroll down until you find an area that has missing textures that pertain to a battle scene. Write down all of the texture names that appear. (ex STAGE37_T00_00.png)

Take those texture names and rename you white numbered textures to match them, while taking into account the numbers on your textures. Place your newly renamed white, numbered textures into "Final Fantasy VII/mods/*your mod path*/battle/"

Start FF7 again and get into a battle in your chosen scene again. Now the entire scene should be numbered, and you can write down where those numbers appear, and match them up with the original textures. Now you have a map of where certain textures appear, so you can redo them one at a time until your finished. Keep in mind, this is a rough guide so you could run into trouble. Keep at it, and if your really having trouble DO NOT post in the Team Avalanche forums. Post in tech support.
-=AVAILABLE SCENES=-
Code: [Select]
oh=Bizarro Sephiroth
oi=Grassland --------Pyrozen/Finished
oj=Mt. Nibel
ok=Forest --------Felix/Finished
ol=Shoreline -------Felix/finished
om=Desert or Mt. Corel
on=Arctic -------Felix/Finished
oo=Swamp --------Felix/finished
op=Sector 1 (Train)?
oq=Reactor
or=Reactor (Guard Scorpion)
os=Reactor 1 Enterance
ot=Subway
ou=Mythril Caves?
ov=ShinRa HQ
ow=Subway
ox=Hojo's Lab
oy=Elevators
oz=Roof
pa=Highway
pb=Don Corneo's
pc=Cathedrel
pd=Ancient Forest?
pe=Midgar Slums
pf=Reactor 1
pg=Reactor
ph=Sector 7 Pillar Stairs
pi=Sector 7 Pillar Control
pj=Sector 8
pk=Sewers
pl=Cave
pm=Cave
pn=Corel passage?
po=Junon Beach ---------Felix/Finished
pp=ShinRa Freighter
pq=Corel
pr=Battle Square ---------PyROZen/finished
ps=Da Chao
pt=Cid's
pu=Lifestream Descent.
pv=Reactor 5 Enterance
pw=Ancient Temple
px=ShinRa Mansion
py=Junon Aerodrome
pz=Cave
qa=Under Sector 8
qb=Gongaga Reactor
qc=Gelnika
qd=Train Graveyard -------Felix/Finished
qe=Ice Cave
qf=Sister Ray?
qg=Sector 8?
qh=Cetra Altar
qi=Cave
qj=Spire in the Crater
qk=Crater (Jungle)
ql=Sephiroth's Vortex
qm=Midgar Area
qn=Seafloor Tunnels
qp=Corel Railways
qq=The Crater
qr=Corel Railway Bridge
qs=Rope Bridge
qt=Da Chao
qu=Ft Condor
qv=Midgar Area
qw=Bizzarro Seph R/L
qx=Bizzarro Seph L/R
qy=Jenova SYNTHESIS
qz=Coal Trains
ra=Cosmo Canyon
rb=Gi Cave
rc=Nibelheim Basement
rd=Cetra Temple
re=Cetra Temple (dragon)
rf=Cetra Temple
rg=Final Battle
rh=Forest
ri=Highwind
rj=Corel Reactor
rl=Wutai Temple
rm=Seafloor
rn=Reactor?
ro=Bloody ShinRa HQ
rp=Gongaga Reactor
rq=Corel Prison
rr=Forest

If you are interested in doing a scene, or have already finished one please post the prefix and name of it and it will be crossed off the list. I have redone the battle arena in golden saucer, but i urge anyone else to give it a go, surely my work is not the best that can be done. I will give this thread a more offical look when i have time, but im running out the door ATM.I will also post an easy tutorial on how to figure out which textures are appearing where within the battle scene if people are interested.

-Team Avalanche Member
lee
« Last Edit: 2011-03-16 18:10:22 by sl1982 »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: *OFFICAL* Battle Scene Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-16 22:46:48 »
Me wonders if it would make more sense releasing packs instead of missions. Like a monster pack, battle background pack, character pack, etc.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-16 23:17:30 »
Packs seems more apropriated since some things are faster than others to do.
I guess battle scenes and models for monsters can be done faster than a whole map modeling, besides some people work faster than other.

As long as every release from TA has the same guidelines, i'm all for it.
Don't like the mod releases in the "mod" section, where the simple user has to know hex to install the mods.. I guess it aint that hard for the modder to make an install that replaces the correct file and changes the right values. For example, i believe Millenia is on TA, and he has done Cloud swords, however i haven't seen and installer or a rar with an "how to" and "where to" to use the «pack».

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-16 23:23:12 »
Millenia's swords were done before TA was around (well some of them)

Plus you should look harder for something before you complain it doesnt exist :P

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8560.msg135338#msg135338

edit: Or even easier, read his first post of that thread.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-16 23:25:29 by sl1982 »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-17 01:06:58 »
initially we wanted to release content in packs, but with the bombing mission we wanted to create a full-on demo, to show what a completed portion of TA would be like. i'm not against a pack system, as ultimately, its content being created, at our standards, and incorporated into our full install. I'd still suggest packs be done via missions - dont try n do every battle scene, try n work with those that are close together, it'll allow for good practice of similar types of content. (upper midgar is very similar frmo scene to scene, etc).

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-17 01:12:52 »
The only problem i see with this is we are holding people back from having some great content while the most difficult stuff is being done.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-17 01:42:02 »
Packs may be a good idea. Though i think packs after the bombing mission project is over. You guys are already so close. It'd be a great easer :D

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-17 02:17:38 »
As much as the sections model is a good idea if people are motivated to do one specific task and it's working towards the same ends and at a fast pace, why not?

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-17 02:28:30 »
If I can shed some light from my experiences with ff7voice, coordinating a large group of people to meet set deadlines is a difficult feat.  Doing it by scene could slow down the release of some finished content by years for that fact.  However, seeing a finished end result also is very motivating.  Although texture artists can be replaced mid-way where voice actors cannot.

I would suggest to finish the bombing mission to have an idea of the finished product but releasing work in packs.

Redoing the background might take years.  Why delay the rest of TA waiting for that part to be finished ?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-11-17 02:42:43 »
i agree with everyone the pack release structure, and i have been slowly moving in this direction. I know SL feels the same way, since he expressed it to me on some PMs a few days ago, and i really feel it will help us move forward much more quickly with larger leaps in content in smaller time frames.

My main reason for thinking this was not the bombing mission per say, but rather the backgrounds. The background reconstruction is by far the most difficult hurdle to over come. It requires huge amounts of time and talent, much more so than any other part of the game(minus the opengl driver coding and app development). A lot of stuff in the bombing mission is completed but is being held back by the backgrounds. I agree that a full-on-demo is a good idea, but it only seeks to enhance a small portion of the game and it takes a long time to put together. Model packs, world map packs, battle packs, and GUI packs can be produced much more quickly, and updates and fixes can be implemented much faster as well. Of course some packs can be consolidated into single installers.
Anyway, i wholly embrace a "pack" release structure versus an episodic structure.

now what battle scenes do you guys want to re-texture? ;-)

lee

*edit*
An example of how these separate installer would be much better is to simply look at the past. The last full release TA patch came out.... last year. Since then all of the TA members have produced a large amount of content in various areas, but it is very difficult to compile it all into one place. The WMRP has been worked on extensively, but waiting for a release(not throwing any one under the bus). A separate installer allows me to make new releases once i feel the new content warrants it, rather than waiting for other areas to move forward. The opposite holds true as well, if the WMRP is not moving forward, they are still free to release their content.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-17 03:24:01 by pyrozen »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-11-17 02:55:55 »
I agree exactly with what pyrozen said
I think that once the bombing mission is finished, then the goal of putting out a 'demo' is done.
After that, releasing content packs would be faster and more satisfying.

As for these battle scenes, I think as long as the textures are kept around it should be fine, so they can eventually be used on the corresponding field scenes, or remodelled battle scenes, to keep things consistent.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-11-17 05:51:03 »
Here are some screens of reworked snow battlescene=)

Now how can I contribute?

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-11-17 11:44:47 »
Millenia's swords were done before TA was around (well some of them)

Plus you should look harder for something before you complain it doesnt exist :P

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8560.msg135338#msg135338

edit: Or even easier, read his first post of that thread.

My bad, but i think you got my point when you look to me mod/project forums.  :P

@felix

Is that "Titan" on the first screen?  :o

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-11-17 12:44:34 »
Is that "Titan" on the first screen?  :o
Yep. I had no time so the screens were picked randomly ;D

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-11-17 13:31:25 »
very nice felix, keep up the awesome work,  the snow field is good, but the skybox image looks a little too photographic. change the colors on it a bit, and play around to make it a bit more painterly perhaps. As to what else you can do, keep up on yer texture work, and do what you enjoy.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-11-17 15:37:21 »
the skybox image looks a little too photographic. change the colors on it a bit, and play around to make it a bit more painterly perhaps

Ok, I'll adjust it=)

Screens of the swamp scene:

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-11-17 16:04:17 »
nice sky on the swamp, feels good and distant, the ground is a bit noisy. what resolution are you using for the ground? Either smooth it out or try and make bigger details, opposed to miniature things.

great stuff! you work fast.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-11-17 18:43:12 »
Here is without the noise layer:

The resolution is 2048x2048.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-11-17 19:35:05 »
Now how can I contribute?

Just zip the relevant textures up in separate ZIP files so i can distinguish them for the time being, and name them with the prefix of that scene. PM them over to me, or you can post them up so people can use them immediately. Also, what are the prefixes of the scenes you have finished so far?

Both of the new scenes look great!

lee

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-11-17 19:45:36 »
"on" "oo" are done. "os" is 80%, but there are the problems with it.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-11-17 21:17:32 »
Here is without the noise layer:
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3255/ff72.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6403/ff72010111722381101.jpg

The resolution is 2048x2048.

The sky is quite good, but I'm not too sure about the ground. At the moment, it looks very dry, as if they're fighting in a desert with lots of small oases. Needs to be more wet-looking. It's possible that too much detail on the ground texture and a lack of saturation is the reason for this, but maybe not.

Also, it is possible for you to upload pics in a higher resolution? ATM it's a little hard to make things out. The forums will automatically resize the pics anyway.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-11-17 21:38:30 »
The original texture also looked very dry.  It is possible to turn dirt into mud with blending. Tommorow I'll look into it.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-11-17 21:54:21 »
looks better without the noise. the puddles could do for a bit of specularity, and the ground more definition.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-11-18 05:26:06 »
Here is the changed version:

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-11-18 12:04:03 »
I like the new ground in the changed version much more but I am still not so fond of the puddles of water. The problem being that it doesn't look much like water to me.