Author Topic: 7th Heaven 2.x Language Translations  (Read 18567 times)

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
7th Heaven 2.x Language Translations
« on: 2020-03-19 11:03:08 »
7th Heaven 2.0 was only available in English. However, we want 7th Heaven to be accessible for more people. So, we have updated 7th Heaven starting with version 2.2 to work with other languages! 2.2 will work with other installed languages of the game, as well as the UI supporting multiple languages. If your language is not listed and you are bilingual with/in English, feel free to work with us on a translation to your language that can be used in future updates.

Current Translations and Progress:
Brazilian Portuguese=100% (Thanks DBZFan102/Andre1070!)
French=100% (Franckie, satsuki!)
German=100% (Thanks Dragoon_2004!)
Greek=~100% (Thanks Leonhart!)
Italian=100% (Thanks Khrone!)
Spanish=100% (Thanks Rukenu for primary translation and LittleTale/youffie for technical corrections!)
« Last Edit: 2020-06-20 22:44:56 by unab0mb »

Hypnos

• View Profile
I'm French and I'm pretty close to bilingual in English but I'm not sure to be able to translate the technical stuff accurately. I'm available if needed.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
I can do the translation to German.

Rukenu

• View Profile
I can help with the Spanish translation : ).

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Fantastic! Thank you all for volunteering your help to work on translating 7th Heaven! I appreciate anything you can do to assist. I know there is a lot of text in the program, so if you can only partially complete it due to time constraints, etc., I am happy to accept any parts that you are able to do. I decided to post publicly instead of PM since not everyone can accept PMs yet, plus maybe other folks would like to work on additional languages besides French, German, and Spanish. If anyone works on any language, please be a native speaker of that language so you understand the natural flow and the nuances of the language (as in no machine-translations from Google translate, etc. please, which can make very weird word decisions sometimes). If more than 1 person would like to help with a translation, please coordinate which part(s) you will do to break up the work so you aren't stepping on each others' toes and duplicating work.

The download for all languages are in this zip file:
http://7thheaven.rocks/Translations_Needed/7HLanguages.zip

All you have to do is extract the XML file(s) that you are able to translate and edit the text inside of it. The first part, the Key (in quotes) is a variable name. Do not change these. That is how 7H knows how to look up the word or phrase. The string/text that you would change is in between the start and end blocks of <system:String> such as in the example below. It is important that if there are extra spaces, tabs, or extra lines that you don't remove those (due to formatting for dialog boxes, etc.). Also do not edit anything in brackets like {0} or {1} or {file} as these are also variables used by 7th Heaven that are replaced with various things like file names, folder paths, mod names, etc. Anything beginning with <!-- like <!--Main Window Buttons--> are just comments.

Example:
<system:String x:Key="Play">You Edit This Text Here</system:String>

Feel free to send updates to your xml file to me via whatever method works best for you, such as pastebin, discord, or you can PM me for other methods. As you progress/send updates, I can integrate them into the program and send you updated versions of 7H so you can see the results of your work in the program. Please let me know if/as you have questions. Again, I can't express enough my gratitude for your help in making 7H better and more accessible to more FF7 fans around the world!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Does it support Japanese text?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Can't you implement a direct way to read from the translated files? It's easier to test for me. The biggest problem if you translate English -> German is the spacing. I need to look if I use the correct German word or if I should use the English word as kind of an 'anglizismen'.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Does it support Japanese text?
I don't see why not, they're just string values. You can try doing a small bit of translation of main UI elements to send my way and we can test.

Can't you implement a direct way to read from the translated files? It's easier to test for me. The biggest problem if you translate English -> German is the spacing. I need to look if I use the correct German word or if I should use the English word as kind of an 'anglizismen'.
Yes, multilanguage support is very early and still being worked on, so it's not there yet. We're trying to get a jump on getting actual translations going since they might take some time. As soon as that is implemented I know it'll make testing easier but for now it needs to be integrated with a program update sent out.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
I'm French and I'm pretty close to bilingual in English but I'm not sure to be able to translate the technical stuff accurately. I'm available if needed.
I cannot DM you since you have fewer than 5 posts. I am also unable to find you on Qhimm or Tsunamods Discords. Please reach out to me if you are still available for French translation.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Japanese support is now added and the language files are editable directly outside of 7H so you can edit/test more easily.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
I'm able to offer Greek translation if you are interested. I own a proficiency degree in English (University of Lancshire, level C2).

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
I'm able to offer Greek translation if you are interested. I own a proficiency degree in English (University of Lancshire, level C2).

Wow, thanks! Looks complex. I guess that's why the saying "it's all Greek to me" exists. I welcome all languages, so if you're willing to put in the time and can make it fit reasonably well in the UI then great! I would probably wait until after all of the strings are complete in the translation files (several still need added that were initially missed) before starting. I'll post updates here.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
I'm stuck in quarantine right now, waiting to receive a call from work. I have no programming knowledge. I'm only able to translate text, which I merely adore btw. Sorry...

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
I'm stuck in quarantine right now, waiting to receive a call from work. I have no programming knowledge. I'm only able to translate text, which I merely adore btw. Sorry...

Who said you needed programming knowledge? Not needed. You just translate text in language xml files as stated.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
OK I downloaded those thanks!

How can I automatically count  all the translatable lines with notepad++ so as I am able to give a percentage of my work? I have translated 100 translatable lines so far...
« Last Edit: 2020-03-29 22:54:36 by LeonhartGR »

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
OK I downloaded those thanks!

How can I automatically count  all the translatable lines with notepad++ so as I am able to give a percentage of my work? I have translated 100 translatable lines so far...

I'd just estimate based on what line you're on ou of total lines, because there are a lot of extra spaces, especially between sections, plus some lines are just comments.

Hypnos

• View Profile
I cannot DM you since you have fewer than 5 posts. I am also unable to find you on Qhimm or Tsunamods Discords. Please reach out to me if you are still available for French translation.

Sorry I was a bit busy last week, didn't had the time to visit this topic. I've downloaded the XMA file and started to translate what I could. Like I said, I don't really know how to translate some terms like "Dump Variable" (and I don't know if there is a translation for that) so if you want I can translate everything I know and leave the technical terms untranslated.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Sorry I was a bit busy last week, didn't had the time to visit this topic. I've downloaded the XMA file and started to translate what I could. Like I said, I don't really know how to translate some terms like "Dump Variable" (and I don't know if there is a translation for that) so if you want I can translate everything I know and leave the technical terms untranslated.

Great! I can help you figure out other phrasing to make it less technical or synonyms that are easier to translate. Feel free to DM me on the Qhimm Discord if you want (probably easier to chat that way and get quick responses).

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Hey, I personally can help to translate from french to english if someone needs  :mrgreen:

Why don't you and Hypnos get together? If you can find him.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Ok, I'm reporting translation progress as 32% done. Sending for re-check to a friend.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Ok, I'm reporting translation progress as 32% done. Sending for re-check to a friend.

Nice! If you wouldn't mind, when you have a preview ready of it, send my way so it can be implemented code-wise for preliminary testing while you continue working on translation.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Progress update for the first translation of 7H DEV v2.0.3.433:
63,2% for StringResources.gr.xaml
0% for 7H_GameDriver_UI.xml.
Received my friend's re-check/review. Studying and applying suggestions...
« Last Edit: 2020-04-09 14:01:36 by LeonhartGR »

DBZFan102

• View Profile
I'm bilingual in brazilian portuguese and english. I could help translate it to b. portuguese, but I would probably need some help with the more technical terms. I'd be glad to help, though.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
I'm bilingual in brazilian portuguese and english. I could help translate it to b. portuguese, but I would probably need some help with the more technical terms. I'd be glad to help, though.

That would be fantastic! I've sent you the details in a DM to help you get started. Please reach out to me if you have any questions. I can explain any technical terms and/or offer alternative phrasing that may be easier to translate whenever you run into a problem. Thank you for helping out!

Seraphitan

• View Profile
I've registered to this forum 5 mins ago. Only to help translate stuff from english to german. Never did that before, but sounds like fun in quarantine. Just contact me for what I can do for you :-)