Author Topic: Is it worth it? What's new?  (Read 3954 times)

dagas

Is it worth it? What's new?
« on: 2005-08-21 01:17:05 »
Hi!

I have completed FFVII and FFVIII for Playstation many times. Is it worth buying the games for PC from ebay to play them again?

Can someone tell me what enhancements have been made? I saw a patch that made the game look better, but will it work on a 1280x800 screen? It's TFT so it has problems with 1280x960 which that patch used if I understand correctly.

What other mods and patches are there?

Basicly, is it worth the money buying it for PC or will the gaming experience not be that different? I have completed FFVII about 7 times and I have run out of excuses to start again. Are there enough mods and patches for an excuse to start all over again?

twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-21 09:10:04 »
Basically the PC version is similiar to the PSX version... but the drawbacks of the PC version are Bugs, crashes and the keyboard control just isn't the same with the PSX's controller... Remember running away from battles by holding down R1+R2+L1+L2? It felt so good back then. Also, the PC version uses MIDI music. No sephiroth's choir theme :isee:

On the other hand, there are patches (1.02 is the official), but the higher resolution patch didn't work for me. Ultimately, if you're a hardcore FF7 fan, you won't mind the controls @ the MIDI music cause it's still FF7.

jamesyfx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-21 15:06:23 »
I only have FF7, so I can only speak for that:

The only REAL difference from the PlayStation version is better graphics (Direct3D), and some mis-translated dialogue has been fixed.

twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-21 15:18:54 »
Well, to get better graphics than the PSX isn't easy. There's all the incompatible crap. You'll need patches. On the Ps version, you just pop the cd in. They corrected some dialogue? Didn't notice much change.

jamesyfx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-08-21 17:25:52 »
Such as Kjata being corrected to Kujata, etc.

Only small changes, since thats all that was really needed.

And for graphics, I only spent a day or two sorting it out and now it works flawlessly. No crashes or anything.

twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-08-21 18:28:10 »
I'm wondering if FF7 PC supports a game controller. Playing with a keyboard kinda ruins the FF7 experience.

By the wat,does anyone know how to make the hardware mode with on board graphic cards?

jamesyfx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-08-21 19:02:38 »
I had Final Fantasy VIII work perfectly with a 4MB ATI Xpert@Play years ago, so it should work like no other.

Try clicking the Advanced button in the Game Controller settings in Windows Control Panel.. theres options for older titles there.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #7 on: 2005-08-23 00:04:21 »
Quote from: twitch
I'm wondering if FF7 PC supports a game controller. Playing with a keyboard kinda ruins the FF7 experience.

By the wat,does anyone know how to make the hardware mode with on board graphic cards?

It supports game pads.

Also there is a vast wealth of information regarding how to make it work in many different modes in these forums.. Check through the great FAQ on it.

Also there are ways to change the sound.. Using soundfonts you can get better audio.

It's a cheap buy now.. Honestly, if you enjoyed FF7 I'd grab it.. I own the PSX and PC versions of FF7 and FF8.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-08-23 18:19:30 »
The PC version's dialogue script went under major changes and revisions.
Basically all the Engrish from the PSX version has been removed. It wasn't just some "minor change" at all.

jamesyfx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-08-23 21:42:47 »
Major changes and revisions.?

I've been through FF7 a few times, and through playing it on PC I only noticed a word changed here and there.