Author Topic: Bug in FF7: Battle doesn't end after Ruby Weapon is defeated  (Read 8536 times)

moraelyn

Hey guys, great FF community, love the mods here  :-)

Anyway, just as the topic says, after Ruby Weapon is dead, battle mode doesn't end. The ATB is running for Cloud and he can act completely normally.. except there are no enemies... If I escape, I get no desert rose and no Ruby Weapon to fight again.

I'm using Hay's Reasonable Difficulty, Break 9999 Limit, The_Saint's hi-res patch, Highway/Snowboard mini-games fix and Higher Quality Cloud/NPC Reconstruction although I can't see how that can be relevant. I haven't had any issues till now.

Any possible conflicts? Known glitches? Advice in general?
Thanks.

corpse

• View Profile
I Suggest you try fighting Ruby weapon with a unpatched ff7.exe 1.02 and see if the glitch happens. If It doesn't You've got 2 choices:

1. Play the battle without any patches.
2. Install one patch at a time, to find out which one is causing the bug.

« Last Edit: 2008-08-22 08:02:34 by corpse »

ARMs

• View Profile
it happens on the psx version randomly too so i doubt its caused by patches.

moraelyn

I tried again today after removing the Reasonable Difficulty and it worked like it should, Ruby dead for good, Desert Rose in hand. I can't believe how much easier it was... Hay good job on that one btw  :-D

Rakanishu

• View Profile
Well, i need to dig this topic up.

I've killed ruby weapon twice, but only result was a non-ending battle. I'm not using any patches, bought a game from square enix via steam. It's VERY annoying, because every battle lasts about 40 minutes - 1 hour. Any advice?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
This is caused by a glitch, or maybe more of an oversight, that happens with Ruby's tentacles. It's present in the default version of the game and given that Ruby is quite a complex enemy it's generally safe to assume that his AI will be the same in most gameplay mods.

Anyways, the problem pops up from his Tentacles not being present on the field but one still being flagged as 'alive'. And as Ruby himself is dead, he can't summon the tentacles again to make them targetable again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENv8jWaMY8s

Try beating Ruby while he has the tentacles dug into the ground. You could also try to clear the fight without killing either of those tentacles to be on the safe side.

Rakanishu

• View Profile
I have finally made it...but it was a nightmare, ruby cannot be sensed (surviving whole battle with it's tentacles present it's a hard thing) so I had to grab pen & paper (well, it reminded me of the good old times, playing with my buddies  "warhammer" or "miidle earth" p&p rpg overnight...), battle lasted about 2 hours (I had to write down approximate damage dealt to ruby turn by turn) with a large break at halftime...

Funny thing, when I played the game for the first time (about ten years ago) the battle went smooth...maybe because I had not-so-legal version :P
« Last Edit: 2015-02-09 17:37:53 by Rakanishu »