Author Topic: [HD Remake] Costa Del Sol  (Read 7065 times)

Harro

• View Profile
[HD Remake] Costa Del Sol
« on: 2014-03-25 20:21:47 »
Hi,
I didn't plan at all to include my modelisation into the game when I started the 3D Costa Del Sol,the background didn't fit when I tried to insert it in the game, but I made some  editing to fix it, and here is the result:

There are yet some bugs ingame, I really had a lot of trouble to insert the background, especially with the different piece you have to cut before inserting with Palmer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1E69Ia_Xc&

Now I'm working on Bar Del Sol, I tried to respect the original background this time, I did not inserted it in the game yet but I think I will have the same issues with the multiple layers in Palmer.

Some details are missing (like the wetsuit), and I m not totally satisfied with the lightning for the moment

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: [HD Remake] Costa Del Sol
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-26 01:24:38 »
I really like how colorful your indoor lighting is.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-26 02:15:47 »
Hi Harro,

Nice to see you back, it's been ages we hadn't news from you. Thanks for submitting these. I'd have a few comments, if it can help improving the scenes:
- Overall, the indoor scene looks quite a bit better than the outdoor scene. Also as a whole, I think you did a great job at modelling, but texturing and lighting could use some improvement.
- What 3d modelling software are you using? Was it maya? The problem is: maybe you're facing limitations due to a lighting/rendering system which is a bit outdated. When I look at your pictures, I feel the same sort of problems as when using Blender internal rendering engine, and that you have to fake a lot of effects (such as shadow blurs, indirect lighting, etc.). Can you tell us more about the sort of lighting/rendering engine that you are using? Is it possible for you to choose another rendering setup? When I upgraded from Blender internal to Cycles, I felt a big difference.
- The indoor scene is pretty nice. Some details are a bit off though. Mostly, I feel like you have no shadows. What is your lighting setup?
- In the indoor scene, the materials which seem off are all the glasses and the plants. I don't know if you modelled the glasses with a thickness or not. For the plants, you most likely need to include translucency and have the leaves cast partial shadows on other leaves of the same plant. The rest looks pretty good to me.
- For the outdoor scene, things are uneven. I like the vendor stalls and the windows, for example, but the flooring and the bridge look really off. The bridge and some houses looks low-poly and could use some subsurfacing, most of the houses could use a big texturing improvement, and the flooring is probably the area needing the largest rework. From my experience, however: house walls and floor texture require stupidly high res textures, maybe procedurals can help you. For reference, in my sewer scenes, I used some wall textures around 10000 x 3000 (maybe it's overkill, but I got better results this way) that I built from tileable brick textures, super high res grime textures and procedurals.
- For the outdoor scene: overall the colors are too saturated. Also, regarding the lighting setup: do not try to exactly replicate the original lighting, which is actually off. Basics for outdoor lighting: one "sun" lamp (all light rays parallel) with very slight yellow tone and one big enviro light from the skydome (a blue-ish ambient light can do the trick).   

Well, that's about it for now. I hope my comments do not sound so harsh, I mean to try and help you to improve the scenes as much as possible.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-26 12:05:00 »
Amazing work! Well done!

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-26 17:11:25 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 17:06:04 by dkma841 »

Harro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-26 17:36:49 »
Nice to see you back, it's been ages we hadn't news from you.
Oh you remember me, cool  ;D

In fact I'm not so experienced in 3D, I learned it at home, it's just a hobby.
The software I use is Maya 2013 and I render with Mentalray. The main lightning in this scene are the lightspot, and I tried to make some sun ray passing through the windows on the left. For the outdour scene, it is a simple Physical sun and sky.

I can make clean work when it is just the modeling, but when the texturing/rendering/lightning comes, it takes me days and days to test differentes setting, but I never obtain the result I want.

Another problem is that I overcharge my scene, now it's very slow and difficult to work. (But I just receive my new computer, I can't wait to test it  :) )

hope my comments do not sound so harsh
Not at all, I really appreciate  ;)

If someone can improve and fix my modelisation, I can share it.

(English is not my mothertong, please not pay attention to the mistakes :-[ )

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-26 17:40:09 »
I was taking another look at these pictures and something occurred to me. Have you used any bumpmapping on the outdoor scene? That ground texture looks really detailed, but also really flat.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-27 03:38:39 »
The software I use is Maya 2013 and I render with Mentalray. The main lightning in this scene are the lightspot, and I tried to make some sun ray passing through the windows on the left. For the outdour scene, it is a simple Physical sun and sky.
I can make clean work when it is just the modeling, but when the texturing/rendering/lightning comes, it takes me days and days to test differentes setting, but I never obtain the result I want.
Another problem is that I overcharge my scene, now it's very slow and difficult to work. (But I just receive my new computer, I can't wait to test it  :) )
I know next to nothing regarding Maya and mentalray (just checked a couple of pages). It looks like the material setup is relatively close to Blender internal. Namely, it seems you have a dissociation between specularity and reflection. In any case, several questions/comments:
- Outdoor scenes are a lot more demanding than indoor scenes on may different fronts. I believe outdoor scenes take more skills, and they also require higher hardware capabilities. Generally, these scenes are larger in resolution, thus more demanding in rendering resources. They require a lot of details  because they need to be "filled" up to the horizon line consistently. To that end, they often require large populations of objects, particle systems, etc. Your hardware can be a big limitation. For example, last year I really was reaching the limits of the capabilities of my old laptop with the indoor scene of Aerith house (I actually couldn't even render it). There is absolutely no chance I could have made a decent job on the outdoor scene of the Sector 5 slums with an outdated hardware. My advice would be to put the outdoor scene on hold for now, focus on finishing the indoor scene, maybe start another indoor scene at Costa del Sol, and come back to the outdoor scene once you've leveled up as a modeller and your hardware is upgraded. Thus, most of my upcoming comments will just be on the indoor scene.
- I think your priority would be to check some of the shading and rendering settings of your indoor scene. The key points are a/shadows: your objects must cast a shadow. Is the shadow blur a setting you have to tune/fake, or is it something your rendering engine can do realistically without tuning?  b/indirect lighting: do you have to fake it, or can it be made realistically without tuning?
- If you do have indirect lighting available, then you would need to (unless that is already done) make all the walls in the room (including the ceiling) and make them invisible to the camera but able to play a part in the indirect lighting.
- Please try to get a good shader for your glass objects. I don't know if I can have further guidance than the classic transparency with IOR around 1.5. Your objects need to have a thickness (in case you haven't made them this way), even if the thickness of the glass object is thin (if that makes sense).
- Do you have some option to make translucency on the leaves?
- It looks like you are missing a light coming from a lamp right above the counter (there's a cone of white light on the original image).
- It looks like you tried to create an illumination around the "Beach" neon sign by inserting a point lamp next to it. Is the neon sign itself emitting any light? If not, can you have some means of doing that?

Also, as a whole: never feel like your scenes are overloaded. Sure, your computer may not like it, but it is among the aspects that will make a fair difference in the quality of your scene. The more detailed, the better. I would rather suggest you do not make compromise on the details you want to get in the scene. Your new hardware will be a blessing.

Lastly, if you want to have some modelling discussion in French, I have no problem with that (it's my native language as well) - I'd rather do it via PM though. Oh and by the way, I know that cmh175 is learning Maya, so it'd be great if you could help each other out.