Author Topic: External Midi Question  (Read 1459 times)

Sphynx

• View Profile
External Midi Question
« on: 2019-02-17 03:55:08 »
Hi there, decided to replay the game with the Remako mod, and I have an SC-88pro external midi synth. Since the PC version supports external midi output I thought i'd give it a shot for part of my play through.

While setting up Remako I used the FF7 game converter application to patch the game and prep it for mods. In the options for audio in the game converter there was a midi section that let you pick from 3 different sound mappings, General Midi, Creative AWE 32/64, and Yamaha XG. I tested all 3 mappings out on my SC-88 which plays the battle theme, and to my ears the Yamaha XG mapping seemed the best sounding (although i'm sure it differs on some songs).

After getting 7th Heaven setup and Remako installed I disabled the vgmstream audio plugin in the OpenGL Settings so that the midi would play. However when I got into the game and heard the battle music the sound mapping seemed like it wasn't what I picked at all. Instead of the Yamaha XG mapping it sounded much more like the General Midi one. Is there a way to easily check which one is enabled or switch it? I'm worried about running the game converter again after 7th Heaven is installed and messing up the installation.

Any help would be appreciated.

iDerek759

• View Profile
Re: External Midi Question
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-18 00:24:38 »
If you have 7H running properly you can re-run the GC as many times as you need without issues. This is usually good to do whenever your OS get's updates as that can sometimes screw up your 7H settings.

M3KVII

• View Profile
Re: External Midi Question
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-22 01:13:30 »
Hi there, decided to replay the game with the Remako mod, and I have an SC-88pro external midi synth. Since the PC version supports external midi output I thought i'd give it a shot for part of my play through.

While setting up Remako I used the FF7 game converter application to patch the game and prep it for mods. In the options for audio in the game converter there was a midi section that let you pick from 3 different sound mappings, General Midi, Creative AWE 32/64, and Yamaha XG. I tested all 3 mappings out on my SC-88 which plays the battle theme, and to my ears the Yamaha XG mapping seemed the best sounding (although i'm sure it differs on some songs).

After getting 7th Heaven setup and Remako installed I disabled the vgmstream audio plugin in the OpenGL Settings so that the midi would play. However when I got into the game and heard the battle music the sound mapping seemed like it wasn't what I picked at all. Instead of the Yamaha XG mapping it sounded much more like the General Midi one. Is there a way to easily check which one is enabled or switch it? I'm worried about running the game converter again after 7th Heaven is installed and messing up the installation.

Any help would be appreciated.

This sounds cool, are you saying you where able to output the midi signal to an external synth and play the music through that? If so I would love to know how you did it and if it's possible to reproduce with a less expensive outboard gear than the roland sc 88, although I'd love to have one.