Author Topic: [Discussion] FFVII Hardcore Mod by Gjoerulv for PSX  (Read 7915 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
So, this idea came to me when I was (at the same time) reading feedback on the forums for this mod while I was playing FF7 on my PS3. Then I wondered : "Hey, what about putting this mod on my PS3?" So I posted and LostWingx told me to start a new topic for this.

So this thread is all about talking, nothing is done (yet).

If a moderator could be kind enough to split and merge the other posts...

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Re: [Discussion] FFVII Hardcore Mod by Gjoerulv for PSX
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-06 00:21:32 »
This is one of those things that I think somehow with the time, motivation, and know-how could do fairly easily.  I just don't have the time and motivation to do this; It is probably within my capabilities, but its definetely not something I've tried to do, or know how to do without taking some time to think about it first.  It would be a good way for some eager new members to learn and better equipped to contribute in the future.

Livesey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-06 00:23:31 »
eager new member wanting to learn and become better equipped to contribute in the future. At your service  ;D

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-14 17:43:36 »
Well, have you modded any other games in the past?  Have you played with WallMarket or PrC or other tools here?  I think that starting by reading through the Tools Thread, picking the ones you are interested in working with, then practicing with those is the first thing you should do.  Read through the Wiki.  Get CDmage and start taking a look at the folders and files in FFVII psx (if you want to work with PSX version - doing so is more limited, but personally I think it does a greater service to the gaming community).  After you've spent a few months with these, you'll be in a much better position to contribute.  If you're an experienced modder on other games, then it depends on what level you want to work.  I'm not a programmer or a 3D artist or an audio engineer...so I mod the big files in the game with tools that others have made.  I don't really have much knowledge of the deeper inner workings of the game.  You can learn everything you need to know by scouring the threads that are already here.  I can point you in the right direction, and I have decent knowledge of the functions of WallMarket, Proud Clod, Libre, Loveless, and a few of the obsolete tools, but that is about it.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-14 19:35:30 »
What needs to be done from the top of my head:
1) Reduce the size of scene and kernels. I think they need to be the exact same size as the originals. Shouldn't be too hard.

2) Change the IDs of all custom made models in the scene. A few of these are also in the AI (like the mime boss). OR find a way to include the new models.

3) Correct the animation IDs of the attacks.

4) Insert the field files changes.

5) Make a patch app.

I could probably do point 1 - 3 pretty easily, but, as xLostWingx, I lack time and motivation.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-03 12:21:27 »

Saw this a little late, but better that than never.

What needs to be done from the top of my head:
1) Reduce the size of scene and kernels. I think they need to be the exact same size as the originals. Shouldn't be too hard.

You shouldn't have to reduce the size of the SCENE - just move it to a different part of the PSX ISO and update the lookups in YAMADA.BIN. Or, easier, just use my Disc Extension patch, which repoints SCENE.BIN to a 2Mb file at the end of the MOVIE folder.

2) Change the IDs of all custom made models in the scene. A few of these are also in the AI (like the mime boss). OR find a way to include the new models.

You may have to swap out models and find the lookup tables.  I don't know where these are, but I can confirm that AFAIK, FF7 uses a simple LBA+Size format for all file lookups.

3) Correct the animation IDs of the attacks.

Also, be aware some enemy spell animations only work for player magic on PC. I'm not sure why this is the case, but it's something to remember if you have custom spells / e.skills.

4) Insert the field files changes.

Be careful with this - your recompressed files should be smaller than the originals, or else you'll have to update the lookups.

5) Make a patch app.

This is simple with PPF studio.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-01-03 12:36:37 »
Bosola, thanks a lot for your useful reply! Can we count on you for the lookups table?

I asked NFITC1 for some patcher in Wall Market and Proud Clod that would automatically change all animations. Because that's kinda annoying to do it all by hand.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2012-01-03 20:02:03 »
No, I don't know enough about how the game handles models to know where to look for lookups. I'd suggest a brute force search for the size + LBAs of certain files in little-endian format.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-03 20:11:10 by Bosola »