Author Topic: How to extract animations and get them into blender?  (Read 3853 times)

Hermoor

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Hermoor's Youtube
Yeah what mod program/extractor would you use. I managed to export the model and import it into blender. But no animations and no bones came with it. So this is the question, could someone give me or show me a tutorial on how to take a character from FF7 and get all the bones mesh textures into blender. Thanks a lot... :-D Bet this question has been asked a few times...hehe

Aali

• View Profile
Re: How to extract animations and get them into blender?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-15 01:29:03 »
Step 1: Write importer for blender.
Step 2: Write exporter for blender.
Step 3: ????
Step 4: No profit.

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-15 15:09:11 »
Technically there is, it just hasn't come into existence yet.

But judging from the seemingly random way FFVII works with animations... (Some characters can use others' animations but some characters just explode in a fireball...)

I doubt anyone is currently working on that...

Besides... importing is the easy part of the deal, exporting is what's hard.

Luis Aviles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-15 20:31:37 »
I would love to have someone write an import/export script for ff7 model. That will make things much easier than manually replacing every single parts. The thing is ff7 modding is pretty uncommon and unknown, so I think the script will be there for only 10-15 people to use. That kinda demotivates writing the script I think. So how about improving the Biturn program? It turns out pretty good that this one can also read warcraft and half life models. It can export separated parts of the models into 3ds or obj format, but cannot export the whole model. Maybe an improved script would allow exporting the whole model? Also when I load the ff7 model with biturn it does show the bones and there is a animation playing button at the right side. If I tried to play the animation the model moved but the animation was all messed up. Maybe the creator of the program does try to export the animation out too but has not yet finished? Also a good thing about biturn it can read .mtl file that comes from .obj file so that means it can read textures too.

Edit: Biturn can convert the whole model into max asc and the textures into .tga format. But I can't load max file in Blender :(
« Last Edit: 2009-06-15 20:34:45 by Luis Aviles »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-06-15 20:44:21 »
Are you thinking about remaking the walk/run animations? Or just curious? If remaking awesome, I think it needs it, Cloud walks/stands funny in the PRP :-P

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-06-15 22:21:51 »
it really depends on what animantions you want the feild animations are fairly simple the battle antimations are the ones that are complicated.

from memory the battle animantions are built off the previous frame and because of the weapons not being attached for the main characters they explode about halfway through the animation file because the animations are doubled for the weapon.

there is a battle animations veiwer that works floating around here it is http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7185.0