Author Topic: [PC] Field background editor - Palmer (0.8b)  (Read 212616 times)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: Palmer
« Reply #75 on: 2009-05-26 07:32:32 »
Hey Aali, just wondering how progress is going and keeping this thread for going necro, I'd love to see better backgrounds in the game  :-D

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #76 on: 2009-05-26 10:33:17 »
It does not work with PSX data and probably never will. I have no interest in modding the PSX version and the primary purpose of this program (to allow insertion of high-res backgrounds) is not relevant on the PSX.
Aw, that's a shame, could be fun to alter the PSX fields (Alter, not increase Res).
I guess the file formats are quite different, anyway. :)
« Last Edit: 2009-05-26 17:59:41 by hotdog963al »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2009-05-26 13:18:35 »
Hey Aali, just wondering how progress is going and keeping this thread for going necro, I'd love to see better backgrounds in the game  :-D

It's certainly not dead, but there isn't a lot of visible progress right now, I'm trying to work out a good way to handle export/import. The textures the game uses are not very well organized (for a human, it's very efficient for the computer) and simply exporting the raw data would make it difficult to edit.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2009-05-26 18:59:29 »
Ohhh alright.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2009-05-28 05:29:59 »
If it can truely edit the field and allow us to replace the crappy backgrounds with high-res versions. Why not call it The Messiah or Jesus.....or Salvation.  :-P

nahh really, I have no ideas but I just wanted to say; Awesome Work!!

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #80 on: 2009-05-28 07:11:20 »
finishing touch? braver? lol idk im just bein silly here...

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2009-05-28 07:39:50 »
I'm so much looking forward for this tool to be released. IMHO, this tool the shapes and reforms Final Fantasy must have name worthy of its potential. In that respect, calling it "Palmer" would be... well... an insult, you know. FF7 players know that Palmer is the second most stupid and useless person in the game.

But don't ask me what else because all the names I can suggest are FF7-irrelevant stuff like "Karan S'jet", "Fleet Command", etc. You see, in FF7 there are no significant constructive powers except "Lifestream", "Holy", "Fullcure", "Healing Wind", "Final Gospel", "Revival", "Phoenix", "Condor" or "White Wind".

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2009-05-28 07:43:46 »
I'm so much looking forward for this tool to be released. IMHO, this tool the shapes and reforms Final Fantasy must have name worthy of its potential. In that respect, calling it "Palmer" would be... well... an insult, you know. FF7 players know that Palmer is the second most stupid and useless person in the game.

But don't ask me what else because all the names I can suggest are FF7-irrelevant stuff like "Karan S'jet", "Fleet Command", etc. You see, in FF7 there are no significant constructive powers except "Lifestream", "Holy", "Fullcure", "Healing Wind", "Final Gospel", "Revival", "Phoenix", "Condor" or "White Wind".

Already have pheonix. Lifestream would be a good, one, i suggested it already though  :-D

Think he's staying with Palmer though

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2009-06-01 19:16:14 »
Been a while since the last release.. I have export working and import for the custom driver mode should be working soon, too.

http://backup.ninjaloot.se/share/palmer-0.2a.zip

Don't start up any large projects based on this export format, it may very well change in the next release. (If the export format changes you won't be able to import those files)

Feel free to suggest improvements to the export format, but keep in mind that no two tiles can overlap in the same .png file.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2009-06-02 06:57:55 »
At last! It is here.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2009-06-02 08:58:40 »
FEEDBACK
This the first feedback. Most of the items do not have a high severity rating, but I think it is a good thing that your application doesn't have any severe issue. Still, do not ignore them completely. Give them lower priority if you wish but experience tells me that subtle details can have suprising effects.
  • Suggestion: Add a menu bar. An application which starts with nothing but an empty black screeen is an appalling scene. It gives the impression of the promising application being broken and not working and waiting for it being a waste of time. Do not let hours of your hard work to go down drain because of an empty black screen.
  • Problem: When resizing application window, the image flickers and green areas (transparency) briefly appear on the screen. This implies that the whole field background is rendered again with every minor change to application chrome. This can have negative impact on application performance in the future when we'll be working on high-resolution images and not just when we'll be resizing the window but when scrolling, switching tasks, etc. Consider rendering the the background into a memory buffer and then displaying the memory buffer. This will allow application chrome to change without its contents being re-rendered from background files. Memory buffer only needs to be re-rendered when user changes layer visibility or switches animations.
  • Problem: "Save as type" field in "Export" dialog box is empty. Add appropriate text strings. "PNG File (32-bit) (*.png)" and "All files (*.*)" should be just fine. "PNG File (32-bit) (*.png)" should be the default and only PNG files should be shown.
  • Problem: "Files of type" field in "Open" dialog box is empty. Add appropriate strings. "Field Background (*.)" should be a good. Only files that have no extension should be shown.
  • Suggestion: Stick with .PNG as export format. .PNG is a very flexible format.
  • Suggestion: Add an icon
  • Suggestion: Add version information to your .EXE file.

Arsirus UK

• I built it but they did`nt turn up
    • View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #86 on: 2009-06-03 16:37:39 »
Nice work already got a few images lined up to go over the old ones already saved my first

Arsirus UK

• View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #87 on: 2009-06-03 21:45:04 »
Aali do you want me to send one of the backgrounds ive redone to put back into the game??
ive used your editor and edited each layer

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2009-06-03 21:58:32 »
Just upload them anywhere and post the link here.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2009-06-04 06:42:39 »
Good work, Aali. Still no serious fault is found.

Arsirus UK

• View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #90 on: 2009-06-04 11:39:19 »
Heres the link to the midgar station edit
http://files.filefront.com/13851685
Its using a JPG image I took from the Tech demo of the train station.
Ive lined up all the images so the train, Floor, back and left wall have the same dimensions as the original.
As its a trial run ive used the same resolution don`t want to get carried away...
The file contains the 4 layers of the train station in PNG format ready to be converted back into the game.

There was a few issues with the dimensioning e.g ive had to cut the top of the train away as the train is lower down and has diffrent dimensions in the original.
Thats were Cloud jumps off the train from. The only other way around this would be to edit the sequance at the begining were Cloud, Barret, Wedge, Biggs and Jessie exit the train. But i`m not that good at programming
« Last Edit: 2009-06-04 11:46:06 by Arsirus UK »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2009-06-04 12:05:48 »
I know this is just a test but placing that background in the game would be nigh on impossible, because the train is in an fmv and when that fmv ends the whole scene will change.

Like I said this is prob just a cool test ;)

Arsirus UK

• View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #92 on: 2009-06-04 14:58:16 »
Ive already changed the intro video
The only problem is it goes from 16:9 in Video to 4:3 in game the only way round it would to be to change the invisible wall dimensions.
Or I might try to distort the end of the video so it fits in better.
Heres a link to the video I made
Its currently in TM2.0 codec only using the original resolution which I plan to update soon.
Heres the codec if you cant see the picture

I`m currently in the middle of creating a new FFVii Website for Modding it won`t just be my work i`ll be asking everyone if they want to contribute there work.
I`ll post the link once ive uploaded the website.

The Mod will be called Project Genesis...

« Last Edit: 2009-06-04 15:16:39 by Arsirus UK »

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #93 on: 2009-06-04 15:17:08 »
After the last cut of the video you need to transform it to fit the new screen. Also add black bars to maintain the 16x9 and then fade them out near the end of the vid so they reveil the rest of the transformed scene. Then it will fade in better. Look at the ending of otokoshi's opening as reference.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2009-06-04 21:31:15 »
This background editor is an absolutely jaw-dropping accomplishment. I almost follow Cazador's train of thought. I realize the name will probably stick as Palmer, but to me, the name Promised Land fits well.

The Promised Land is what the Cetra sought after. And by golly if is this editor isn't going to bring it to us!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2009-06-13 19:25:56 »
http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Thought I should mention this package...

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/new.png

There is the result from fractals.  I suggest we use this if we are to increase the size of image, it looks superior to me.

Compare it to the old method (best enlargement settings in CS4)

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/new-oldmethodenlargement.png

and you can see that Fractals plugin comes out the winner.  Just check the difference in detail, the CS4 method is blurred.  The Fractals has maintained the detail, especially the edges.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-13 20:12:10 by Seifer Almasy »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2009-06-13 20:23:09 »
Definitely fractals.  Hands down.

After seeing that price tag, my guess is this is going to be a one or two man project.  I don't expect too many people will be jumping at the chance to fork out $200.00
« Last Edit: 2009-06-13 20:59:19 by obesebear »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2009-06-13 20:32:23 »
This is looking pretty damn nice  :mrgreen:

It seems that the answer to the problem of low res backgrounds might be near...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2009-06-13 21:06:13 »
Definitely fractals.  Hands down.

After seeing that price tag, my guess is this is going to be a one or two man project.  I don't expect too many people will be jumping at the chance to fork out $200.00

Well I can help with that project as well if needs be just give me a shout, at moment though my time is divided a bit by the other 2 projects,

Glad you liked the example though ;)

edit:  I don't understand what sizes we are supposed to be doing to be honest....is it just 2X the original for all back grounds?  I can do all of the backgrounds with fractals, but Aali will have to make an option so we can 'save as' the entire lot from his program.  I can then batch in Photoshop and put them back up for download.

And I do belive the demo is fully funcyional for 30 days....
« Last Edit: 2009-06-13 21:15:03 by Seifer Almasy »

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2009-06-13 23:20:25 »
If someone was feeling completely crazy, they could remake a few scenes by reconstructing them in Blender, but I doubt that's realistic for even a segment of the game, even if we had a team of modelers. Still, it would be the best solution I can think of.
I'm learning Blender, and I might try this. I'm not new to 3d modeling, I'm just trying to move to *cough* legally *cough* acquired software. Stealing is bad.