Author Topic: FFVII Remake -Not-So-Basically- Confirmed  (Read 23306 times)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
FFVII Remake -Not-So-Basically- Confirmed
« on: 2010-01-02 14:04:46 »
Espio showed me this, and i'm more excited about it than anything else for a long time. Bad thing is, this is probably eventually gonna end most of the activity in this place.

So yeah, Tetsuya nomura got interviewed recently, and he said something like this:

"I can just say that, indeed, although I'm still working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Agito XIII, and, a little later on, The 3rd Birthday (this year), we will announce other games this year, one of which is very highly anticipated by everyone, and often requested by fans - and even by the press crews that I meet all over the world."

Take your own meaning from this, but i know what i'll be expecting this year  :wink:

Article here:
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/6352.html

Probably debunked - read below :P
« Last Edit: 2010-01-05 16:12:52 by NeoCloudstrife »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: FFVII Remake -Basically- Confirmed
« Reply #1 on: 2010-01-02 14:54:25 »
OMG... my prayers (may) have been answered! AS it is I am not going to get my hopes up until the official announcement. But if square is reading this i would pay ALOT of money to own a copy of this.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-02 16:18:16 »
Old news. And it's probably something completely unrelated to Final Fantasy. Some speculate it might be yet another Kingdom Hearts (3 maybe?) or a direct sequel to The World Ends with You.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 2010-01-02 16:55:00 »
5 days is old? meh, sorry.  :-P

Lol dude, where is your hope!? there's no reason to totally disregard the possibility that it could be FF7. Besides, they aren't gonna announce a new kingdom hearts game in the same year as the last one came out. BBS isn't even out yet - and nomura said he's expecting huge acclaim here.

Or are you one of those people who would rather not see FFVII remade? Not that that's a bad thing - opinions are opinions after all. I've seen plently of those people about.

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up though, you're right, it's very possible this has nothing to do with FFVII.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-01-02 18:08:43 »
I read an article, months and months ago, where nomura was interviewed about the compilation.  He said it would last 10 years giving the entire FF7 saga a 20 year run.  My guess would be that if FF7 is ever remade, it will be at the end of those 10 years.   However, it wouldn't surprise me to see something FF7 related...

cassarubi

« Reply #5 on: 2010-01-02 18:56:57 »
This game could be Epic, but FF7 falls on it's face short after say the 1st disc, and stumbles like a retard to the very end. i love the midgar arc with a passion, but hate 85% of the latter part of the game (mostly because there's too much chasing sephiroth).  this is because there is more substance and choices in midgar.  also npc's talk and do more interesting things.  most the towns outside midgar are 1/2 as interesting and everyone is turning into an idiot/doll by then.  each town or place needs as much substance and thought put into it.  they gave this game so much potential, yet didn't finish or flesh it out.  instead of chasing sephiroth, the characters could get a break from the chase and add some enjoyable easy going plot (who knows) and/or focus into some other plot that ties back into the chase for sephiroth so it's more balanced.

also jenova should be fleshed out better and made tougher.

alright i've always hated and loved FF7 (i'm ff6 fan here) and if they are gonna remake this game they need us to tell them how to do it right.

first, all npc's need to be on a dating sim type faction so that when you talk to certain people there is alot more interaction and ability to lose npc's as friends.  (such as you can piss off certain towns or certain people won't respect you without having common ideals).

second the whole game after Midgar is a rushed POS (it has substance, but it's not put together right).  there might be some nice scenes after midgar, but midgar arc was done much better than the rest of the game.  more materia also should be available in midgar (blue. yellow, purple materia or green w/ status effects)

the love relationship between tifa, aeris, and cloud needs to be much much much more stronger and important.  cloud starts out as a badass and becomes an everyday guy after seeing the world.  he's boring after the 1st disc.  cloud should stay a badass, and an asshole for longer, until he naturally grows up and is mature Cloud.  there's alot of room for substance in this game and they seriously f'ed it up.

there's much more gripes. but those are good for starting to make some crucial changes.

Edit: made it more comprehensible
« Last Edit: 2010-01-03 06:17:38 by cassarubi »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-01-02 19:05:01 »
cloud should stay a badass
Yes he should
and an asshole for longer.
No he shouldn't.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #7 on: 2010-01-02 19:38:09 »
dddduuuudddeee.... i'd pay like, over a hundred bucks for a copy for a remake, as long as its with the console, i very highly doupt i could get it running on this laptop

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-01-02 20:01:27 »
look for more in the $380 range if you want it with the console. it'd be PS3 exclusive i am sure.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #9 on: 2010-01-02 20:41:19 »
look for more in the $380 range if you want it with the console. it'd be PS3 exclusive i am sure.

i'd still pay it, after all, FF7 was the game that got me into gaming

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 2010-01-02 21:47:16 »
I don't think we'll see an FF7 remake, and what's more, I don't want one.

Why don't I think Square will remake FF7 in the next five years?

1. Producing a videogame is a horribly expensive procedure. Even though it might appear some work has already been done - the game is designed, written and translated already, after all - the meat and potatoes of development involves creating resources (textures, models, animations), implementing these resources and potentially tweaking the engine to make this implementation possible, and rigorous debugging. These are not simple things to do. FFXII cost upwards of forty million to produce - a VII remake would not cost substantially less.

2. But wouldn't it sell? That's the issue. Even assuming half the original owners of the game would pay for a remake (an *exceedingly* generous estimation), Square will still likely make less money from FFVII-2 than, say, a new FF game. What's more, Square would be spending money trying to consolidate on a fanbase who are already dedicated consumers, as opposed to expanding their market share.

3. With the PSN release available, the game fading into memory and critical perception rounding on the original game, as time passes, the prospects of a profitable FFVII-2 look increasingly unlikely. Square have already reached the ideal point for a VII remake, and they haven't offered one. Are Square idiots? No. Believe it or not, the legions of fourteen year old gamers banging on about a remake do *not* understand SE's finances and business prospects better than SE themselves. So what? Well, many of these fans, only two years ago, were just as certain that a remake would be a "sure bet" for SE, and had just as much reason - perhaps even more (seeing as there was no PSN release) - to argue that the time was ripe for a profitable remake. SE did not agree. The fans were likely wrong. Circumstances have not changed much. SE likely do not agree. The fans are likely still wrong.

Now, why am I *opposed* to a remake?

1. I worry that the voice acting will not be up to scratch. I was certainly *not* a fan of the voices - and altered characterizations - featured in the 'Compilation'. I imagine that these same voices and alterations will be applied, retrospectively, to a remake.

2. I worry that the Compilation takes itself far too seriously. The PS3 'tech demo' demonstrates this. FFVII might well become a victim of the myths that surround it - the fact is, neither the story nor script were ever as interesting or profound as fans would like to hope (I'm sorry, but try reading Sephiroth's actual lines again), and that by placing too much 'emphasis' on these moments, trying to offer 'fan service' in the form of extended Sephiroth appearances / dialogue, the game might well become a horrid parody of itself.

3. I worry that a PS3 FFVII release would likely be the first introduction many new players had to the series and genre, and that this would harm SE and RPGs in general.

Personally, I think that the conflicting demands of the fanbase would likely put SE in a difficult position. Half the fanbase wants voices; half do not. Half want a new translation; the others don't; some would like to see the mechanics altered; others think they're perfect as is; some won't pay for a game "they already own" - they want new material, dungeons and content; their opponents can't stand the thought of *any* change to the game; some want remastered, or Black Mages music - the rest want the original MIDIs. See the problem? Square would likely offend its followers, and many might even refuse to have anything to do with the Remake. This would make FFVII Mark 2 an exceedingly risky investment.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-02 21:52:38 by Bosola »

cassarubi

« Reply #11 on: 2010-01-02 22:25:25 »
f SE business, they should redeem their image, at least once before they go down in history as not quite the best in RPG's.
FF7 was meant to be an epic rpg to be remembered forever, so can they do it right?, so Earth has an epic game to remember and out of respect for the art.

now there is one solid way to make a FF7 remake.  it has to keep the retro feel (improve graphics, but not all the way, keep it tasteful) and be way fun and immersive (Deus Ex for PC was an FPS/RPG done right)

now you are right about sephiroth he had little substance compared to the hype.  Aeris and AVALANCHE are key to a good FF7 remake.  sephiroth and cloud turn the whole thing into a dry soap opera.  Either expand and bring back Aeris (there are more ways to do this than afew if you are creative) or focus on Barrett and Tifa forming a true resistance vs shinra or BOTH!  focusing on Sephiroth was a big mistake, he is only a smaller part that should be used tastefully.

like i said before, all they had to do was add more substance like a faction/dating sim (which doesn't require more artwork or graphics, it only expands on what it already has.  like how you got +1 or +5 for Tifa/Aeris/Barrett for making choices and talking to certain people first (Tifa instead of Aeris after they fall from Don's Palace FTW)

the very end to FF7 was with shinra, before going to the crater.  so why was avalanche not reformed by tifa and barrett? because they always followed Cloud.  Rufus and team goes down, and Cloud is all, well what's next guys, let's not spend anymore time here.  and Hojo is just, i'm batsh*t crazy.  Cloud does not comprehend, let's just finish game says Cloud. uhg.

but the ending to the game was pretty cool, just what was going on with the planet, and Jenova doin' it's worst.  meteor and holy could have been deeper too.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-03 06:27:59 by cassarubi »

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #12 on: 2010-01-03 01:01:58 »

<snipsnip>

You sum up my opinion entirely so "+1"  :-)

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-01-03 15:58:46 »

1. Producing a videogame is a horribly expensive procedure. Even though it might appear some work has already been done - the game is designed, written and translated already, after all - the meat and potatoes of development involves creating resources (textures, models, animations), implementing these resources and potentially tweaking the engine to make this implementation possible, and rigorous debugging. These are not simple things to do. FFXII cost upwards of forty million to produce - a VII remake would not cost substantially less.

2. But wouldn't it sell? That's the issue. Even assuming half the original owners of the game would pay for a remake (an *exceedingly* generous estimation), Square will still likely make less money from FFVII-2 than, say, a new FF game. What's more, Square would be spending money trying to consolidate on a fanbase who are already dedicated consumers, as opposed to expanding their market share.

3. With the PSN release available, the game fading into memory and critical perception rounding on the original game, as time passes, the prospects of a profitable FFVII-2 look increasingly unlikely. Square have already reached the ideal point for a VII remake, and they haven't offered one. Are Square idiots? No. Believe it or not, the legions of fourteen year old gamers banging on about a remake do *not* understand SE's finances and business prospects better than SE themselves. So what? Well, many of these fans, only two years ago, were just as certain that a remake would be a "sure bet" for SE, and had just as much reason - perhaps even more (seeing as there was no PSN release) - to argue that the time was ripe for a profitable remake. SE did not agree. The fans were likely wrong. Circumstances have not changed much. SE likely do not agree. The fans are likely still wrong.

Now, why am I *opposed* to a remake?

1. I worry that the voice acting will not be up to scratch. I was certainly *not* a fan of the voices - and altered characterizations - featured in the 'Compilation'. I imagine that these same voices and alterations will be applied, retrospectively, to a remake.

2. I worry that the Compilation takes itself far too seriously. The PS3 'tech demo' demonstrates this. FFVII might well become a victim of the myths that surround it - the fact is, neither the story nor script were ever as interesting or profound as fans would like to hope (I'm sorry, but try reading Sephiroth's actual lines again), and that by placing too much 'emphasis' on these moments, trying to offer 'fan service' in the form of extended Sephiroth appearances / dialogue, the game might well become a horrid parody of itself.

3. I worry that a PS3 FFVII release would likely be the first introduction many new players had to the series and genre, and that this would harm SE and RPGs in general.

Personally, I think that the conflicting demands of the fanbase would likely put SE in a difficult position. Half the fanbase wants voices; half do not. Half want a new translation; the others don't; some would like to see the mechanics altered; others think they're perfect as is; some won't pay for a game "they already own" - they want new material, dungeons and content; their opponents can't stand the thought of *any* change to the game; some want remastered, or Black Mages music - the rest want the original MIDIs. See the problem? Square would likely offend its followers, and many might even refuse to have anything to do with the Remake. This would make FFVII Mark 2 an exceedingly risky investment.

lol

cassarubi

« Reply #14 on: 2010-01-03 20:38:26 »
also in a remake I'd have Rufus begin building neo-midgar on the northern continent, or wherever the Promised Land is.
Expanding on the Promised Land or whatever it is (whether it's a place in everyone's heart, the lifestream, or a landmass, it would give it a more coherent ending.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-03 20:40:36 by cassarubi »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #15 on: 2010-01-04 12:00:32 »
I somewhat agree with Bosola here. Mainly on the fact that most fans, if not all, will be disappointed with a lot of things, and a fail would even be too embarrassing for me to bare. Seeing posts like cassarubi's makes you realize many people expects huge stuff. The higher the expectations the higher the disappointment.

If square do a remake they certainly got balls. The list is high, and a fall would be tremendously damaging for their reputation.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-01-04 15:54:45 »
I somewhat agree with Bosola here. Mainly on the fact that most fans, if not all, will be disappointed with a lot of things, and a fail would even be too embarrassing for me to bare. Seeing posts like cassarubi's makes you realize many people expects huge stuff. The higher the expectations the higher the disappointment.

If square do a remake they certainly got balls. The list is high, and a fall would be tremendously damaging for their reputation.

But you cant deny the fact that many people would buy it. So in a business sense it would be a success.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-01-04 15:59:52 »
the fact is, neither the story nor script were ever as interesting or profound as fans would like to hope (I'm sorry, but try reading Sephiroth's actual lines again)

Bah! Blasphemy! :D

But other than that, I agree with just about everything in that post (in fact, I've said half of those things myself at some point). There's no doubt that a remake will disappoint a lot of people. There's no way to appease both the traditionalists and those who want something new, and if Squeenix try they'll end up pissing off both.

Personally, I don't see the need for a remake anyway; after all, we have Team Avalanche. We can make a better remake :3

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-01-04 18:26:09 »
the fact is, neither the story nor script were ever as interesting or profound as fans would like to hope (I'm sorry, but try reading Sephiroth's actual lines again)

Bah! Blasphemy! :D

But other than that, I agree with just about everything in that post (in fact, I've said half of those things myself at some point). There's no doubt that a remake will disappoint a lot of people. There's no way to appease both the traditionalists and those who want something new, and if Squeenix try they'll end up pissing off both.

Personally, I don't see the need for a remake anyway; after all, we have Team Avalanche. We can make a better remake :3

lol find me some professional artists then maybe

cassarubi

« Reply #19 on: 2010-01-04 19:45:34 »
they need to change maybe 10%-20% minimum to keep all people relatively happy w/ the game everyone deserves (and translation too). and also, update the graphics and have them keep an anime/serious look that will age well with time.  classic.

update lines of text for clarity and to finish some of the plot concepts off.
change the ending. (which will happen when the old content is fleshed out more coherently).
add some new content, to make it immersive and fun.

barebones remake, anything less than that is not so good probably.

the potential for a perfect game is there... if they can make a perfect game then they did it, and i'm saying those are near minimums for repairing this broken down reactor of a game.

if they wanted they could go above and beyond to make a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-05 00:09:10 by cassarubi »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #20 on: 2010-01-05 13:29:23 »
@cassarubi

Although I agree with much of what u say, you must remember about half of the story is already completed after the (kalm) flashback. After that it's much more focus on the actual game and character specific side stories. The events after the flahback:

Chocobofarm: Nothing story related (a display of sephy's strength before the mithril cave).
Mithril Cave: Nothing really... A swift encounter with the Turks. This scene never made much sense to me. A typical "meet your enemy and talk" scene.
(Fort Condor: Nothing.)
Junon: Nothing much. Cloud heard some Jenova stuff while sleeping, and have some nostalgia wearing a shinra uniform.
Boat: A swift meeting with sephy. He don't know who Cloud is. wtf?
Costa: A simple chat with Hojo.
North Corel and Gold saucer: Barret's sidestory.
Gonganga: Some mention of Huge materia. Spy suspicions after Turk encounter.
Cosmo: RedXIII. Planet info and sh*t.
Nibelheim: "Wtf? it isn't burned down?" Again a swift sephy encounter. Nothing really.
Rocket town: Cid part1.
Wutai: Yuffie.
Gold saucer: Story update before date scene. Cait Sith...
Temple. Black materia, meteor and Sephy's goal revealed. Cloud snaps, Aeris leaves and Cloud dreams. It feels like a story again.
Lost City: Death of a certain person without life insurance.
Disc2 start - Gea's cliff end: Absolutely nothing (if you don't count proffesor G's vids).
Crater: Plot twist ahoy. Again the story is good.
Junon: Tifa dreams, meteor, world depression, execution, escape.
Huge materia: Cid part2, Cloud + Tifa (in lifestream). You learn the deal 'bout Aeris, Holy and the planet in the Bugenhagen ordeal.
Midgard: Death of Shinra.
Crater: ... You know.

So, yeah, about half of the main story is told when the Kalm flashback is done. But that doesn't mean there's a lot of weird stuff going on.
If it's something I think many people would appreciate, it would be a better translation.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-01-05 15:27:21 »
Huge materia: Cid part2, Cloud + Tifa (in lifestream)
Tifa in the lifestream is a damn significant part of the game. It's at this point that the player actually finds out what the hell is going on.

Junon: Nothing much.
We learn quite a bit about Rufus. The parade signifies the public's view of Shinra company. It's easily more significant that the "make Cloud look hawt" portion of the game in Midgar, which serves to waste time until a meeting with an insignificant villain whose sole purpose is to tell you next to nothing and lead you into the next dungeon.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: 2010-01-05 16:11:25 »
Ok so like this news has now been debunked. Good news for some, bad news for others (myself included)

Turns out the whole "highly anticipated" thing was made up

Read

Also, This.

...maybe that's what the whole thing was about. Net Play FTW!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: FFVII Remake -Not-So-Basically- Confirmed
« Reply #23 on: 2010-01-05 16:18:25 »
Another FF7 remake rumour debunked? :-D

This is like the PS3 price drop rumours in the first half of last year. Every month people were sure there was going to be a price drop. It didn't matter that the last rumour was wrong; the current one was different! Of course, they were all wrong (until September, which no-one really expected).

Also, there's no way that the Dissidia thing could have appeared in a major gaming magazine like Famitsu without it being all over the web and the pics being reproduced hundreds of times. I think it's a shoop. Someone ought to make it clear that the days when you could get away with saying that something being in a Japanese game/magazine/whatever without anyone being able to disprove what you said are long gone now that we all have the internet.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-05 16:20:00 by Kudistos Megistos »

ultima espio

• View Profile
Re: FFVII Remake -Not-So-Basically- Confirmed
« Reply #24 on: 2010-01-05 16:21:28 »
more characters playable please.