Author Topic: Would like to help and very eager to learn  (Read 9059 times)

Dubular

• View Profile
Would like to help and very eager to learn
« on: 2011-07-22 15:39:51 »
Much like HolyOne, I would like to offer whatever I can to this project. Every once in awhile I've been seeing the progress made on FF7 mods, and I really want to contribute in some way. I'm decent with photoshop, and very amateur at modeling.

3D Model Examples:
http://img296.echo.cx/img296/7452/3dweapons29ef.png
http://img134.echo.cx/img134/2103/3ditems7ud.png

As far as photoshop examples, I'm at work and don't have any on this computer, but if you want I can try to find some when I get home.

Sapphire

• View Profile
Re: Would like to help and very eager to learn
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-22 15:56:06 »
We would love to see some more work when you get home, however I don't call any shots in Team Avalanche, I am a mere grunt really.

However the models don't look too bad, in future, you may want to post wireframes too, beleive me seeing a wireframe will tell us more then showing us a solid view of it.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-22 21:28:47 »
I'm working on a Bootleg Edit installer that automates the installation of all these great mods.
I came across a promising pack of field models: 0.MY REBUILDED MODELS.rar.
A few of the models need some work.
If you'd like to help, here's the thread: Squallff8's Rebuilded Field Models.

Thanks,
-PitBrat

Dubular

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-25 05:39:28 »
Question here, I'm in a class this semester learning about 3D modeling. In class we use Cinema 4D. I feel like I'm getting the hang of it pretty quickly, but it seems like most guys here use Blender or 3DS. Should I consider learning one of these programs in my spare time, and if so which?

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-25 13:08:21 »
Blender is a great program, but predominately popular because it's free. 3ds Max is a very powerful program and seems to be the preferred platform for video games. It can be expensive though so a lot of hobbyists stick with Blender. You can get a free student Trial version though and try it out, it's good for quite awhile. If you decide you like it and are serious about modeling it could be worth the investment.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-25 15:19:55 »
If you wish to help us out to model some scenes, you're more than welcome!
About choosing a 3d modelling program, cmh175 summarized it pretty well. In here, anaho and I use Blender while SpooX is on 3ds Max.
Should you choose Blender, here's a short list of useful resources for beginners:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro - Very useful to learn the baby steps.
http://www.blenderguru.com/ - Very good tutorials, useful for beginners as well as more seasoned modelers. Andrew Price's teaching style is great.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDSBZIemT12ZTjTqwTFjd6Q - this one was a tip from anaho - perhaps a tad more advanced.

Whenever you think you're ready to tackle your first scene (don't rush it), I suggest you take a peek at the Tasklist sticky thread. I strongly recommend you start with a very simple scene, I could even provide a shortlist of these (on the top of my head, some fields from the utility tunnels up to Reactor 5, or some homes in North Corel are among the simplest).
Anyway, if you wish to join the crew I'll be happy to help you on your way.

bluelion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-18 01:51:39 »
Hi,
I'm interested to model some scenes. I have made myself familiar with Blender the last days and I started with moddeling of blin1 (Shinra building - Floor 1). I'm not sure whether somebody is modelling the same. I couldn't find any up to date tasklist, last update in thread "3D modelling of field scene screens - Tasklist" was in September 2013.

BTW: Do you have any hint for matching the camera with the background image regarding the coordinate axes?

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-18 14:42:20 »
Hi there and welcome to the team! Your help will be much appreciated. anaho and myself are also Blender users, so if you have some questions regarding modelling we can try to help out.
I'm sorry I haven't updated the tasklist since Sept 2013, but except for SpooX working on Junon scenes, anaho working on Mideel scenes, and myself on the Sector 5 Slums scenes, I haven't had news from anybody. So, I assume most scenes from the Shinra buildings aren't made. I do believe that some people did work on a few of these, but that must have been a couple of years back (either Sapphire or Timu, I can't remember).
Other suggestions: I do have a shortlist of "friendly scenes for noobs", which are rather simple and a good way to get started with. The ground floor of the Shinra building doesn't seem a good one for beginners (it's very big with some very complicated elements in it - I'm not sure you want to model the Hardy Daytona just yet). If you want to check out simpler scenes, let me know.
Then, regarding the alignment of the background image with the walkmesh and camera location: yes we do. SpooX developed Shinratool (see stickied thread), which collects data from the PS1 discs and generates a scripts. Then you run the script in Blender and voila, you get the walkmesh and the camera coordinates. On a few instances this needs to be slightly corrected though. If you don't have PS1 discs, I can get the scripts generated for you and send them by email (or even the blend file).
Another questions: did you get familiar with Cycles or are you running with Blender's internal rendering engine?

bluelion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-18 17:07:28 »
Thanks, yeah you're right, modelling the Hardy Daytona and the motorbikes or cars or what ever is exhibited there is the tricky aspect. So, what simpler scenes can you recommend? Regarding the Shinratool, currently I have no PSX version of FF, but it should be possible to get one. Furthermore I think I have no access to download the Shinratool.
Actually I didn't get familiar with rendering settings and texturing and those stuff (step by step ^^). My default setting is Blender Render.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-19 02:01:28 »
Ok, so let me provide you a shortlist of some simpler scenes to make. Note that for consistency's sake, it's best if each person tends to stick to modelling the environments of one location. In that respect, there could have been a somewhat easy scene in Sector 5 Slums, but I'll be doing it since I've been doing the others in that area. Additionally, if you start modelling one of these scenes successfully, you can pretty much assume that your next work would have to remain in the same area of the game. The suggestions (please check the File Reconstruction Sheet,  LGP File tab, Flevel.lgp section):
- sbwy4_1, sbwy4_2, sbwy4_3: they're set in the utility tunnels running in the Plate, where the party goes on the Bombing mission to the Mako reactor in Sector 5.
- astage_a, astage_b: scenes of the Event Square at the Gold Saucer.
- bigwheel, bwhlin1: scenes of the Round Square at the Gold Saucer.
- delmin12: Basement of the Villa of Costa del Sol.
- holu_1, holu_2: scenes of Holzoff's lodge at the base of the Gaea Cliff, past the Great Glacier.
- kuro_4, kuro_6, kuro_10, kuro_11, kuro_12: tunnels and corridors in the Temple of the Ancients.
- onna_4: Main hall of the Honey Bee Inn.
- ncoin1, ncoin2: tents in North Corel
- yougan, yougan2: grass fields where the party members deal with Yuffie
- zz1: Sleeping man's cave
- zz2: Chocobo Sage house

I think these are among the easiest to start with, and I would rather have experienced modellers avoid taking them so that newbies can get something manageable.
A side question: how much computing capabilities do you have at your disposal? It may affect which scenes you can do and which ones you can't (although all the ones from this list should be manageable with a low end computer). Namely, you may end up having technical difficulties if a scene involves:
- fluid or smoke simulation
- particles systems (i.e. method to generate large populations of objects, such as grass, rocks, etc).
- large objects requiring detailed displacement modifier (eg. a cliff).

About texturing: you'll soon realize that texturing is actually the most time-consuming side of modelling. I don't personally find it as entertaining to do as making the mesh of objects, but texturing is what will make a huge difference between a good scene and a not-so-good one (don't worry, I was pretty much at your stage 1 year and a half ago). When you don't know a thing about texturing, Blender's internal is easier to deal with because you can use projections (cubic, cylindrical) to map your textures. Cycles doesn't really support that. However: the best way to texture is based on UV unwrapping. It opens many more possibilities for texturing. Cycles pretty much only uses UV unwrapped textures. The other thing is: using Cycles as a rendering engine is a huge bonus and makes much more realistic results. The tricky thing is: texturing with Blender's internal render and texturing in Cycles is done very differently (you can't use one for the other). For example: I began modelling by making the mds5_dk scene (the man in pipe) using Blender's internal. I remade it with Cycles recently, and had to redo all the texturing from scratch (it paid off, however). So, my advice would be:
- start texturing with Blender's internal, just to get familiar with the basic concepts
- try to get into UV unwrapping sooner rather than later
- once you are familiar with UV unwrapping, switch to Cycles and redo your texturing.

So... let me know what scene you'd like to get started, and I'll get you the walkmesh and camera data. I hope you'll have fun!

bluelion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-20 00:49:35 »
Ok, I would prefer the first scenes sbwy4_1, sbwy4_2, sbwy4_3. My computer is more or less up to date: i7 2600K, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 580. Thanks, I will take your advice regarding the texturing. Next week I will have more time to do all these things.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-20 13:31:25 »
I just sent you the blender file of sbwy_1 by email.
BTW your computer looks pretty good. Namely, it looks like you have a graphic card that will allow you to have lots of fun using Cycles. Basically, with a good graphic card, Cycles enables real time preview.