Author Topic: [PC] Translate graphics models to glTF - Kujata (v1.0)  (Read 6642 times)

picklejar

• View Profile
    Kujata is a suite of tools that translates FF7 assets to web-friendly formats like JSON and glTF, and also provides metadata and statistics.
    • https://github.com/picklejar76/kujata
    • Translates field models to glTF
    • Translates field data to JSON, and field entity/group scripts to Javascript
    • Provides metadata like field map links, op code usage statistics, etc.

The Kujata webapp is a website that illustrates examples of what could be done with the data.

Browse every field model in the game:

Browse every field map in the game:

See field map details, including links to other maps, field models used in the map, scripts, etc.:

See op-code statistics, sort and filter by specific fields, and export to CSV.
    Example: See every place $GameMoment is set:

Edit: Made the screenshots above into links
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: 2019-04-27 22:59:01 by picklejar »

cmh175

• View Profile
      • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
    Re: [PC] Translate graphics models to glTF - Kujata (v1.0)
    « Reply #1 on: 2019-04-04 17:13:46 »
    This sounds awesome, I’m very interested in it’s potential. I’ll be able to try it out later this weekend. What’s currently possible with this? Above all, being able to import models without cutting them up and converting them to P files would be great, and would help improve detail and overall quality of mods. Does this work with animations? If we could export animations to Maya and import them back that would probably be one of the biggest improvements to modding the game.

picklejar

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: 2019-04-27 23:22:06 »
    cmh175:

Q: "What's currently possible with this? ... Does this work with animations?"

A: It can translate FF7 field models to glTF, including animations, and including references to textures (which must be translated using a separate tool).

Example of translated output data: https://github.com/picklejar76/kujata-data/tree/master/data/field/char.lgp

Example of translated output visualized on a website: https://picklejar76.github.io/kujata-webapp/stage-viewer

The examples above do not include animations yet. But the tool can translate them. I have tested the translated glTF in a web browser using THREE.js, including animations, so the translation is pretty decent.

By the way, it uses Ifalna database (bundled with Kimera) to "guess" the default standing animation, and can optionally use the Ifalna database to allow you to include every single animation that is used by that model in the game, although that obviously makes the translated data huge.

Translating in the reverse direction (glTF back to FF7) is not yet supported, so it's not a complete modding solution yet, but I guess you could say it's about halfway there, and it already provides a lot of value.

picklejar

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: 2019-04-27 23:30:22 »
    BTW, I imagine that any modder working on models and animations would like to have a nice reference website that provides things like:

"Given a field model, show me a list of all field maps (flevels) and field scripts where the model is used."

"Given a field model animation, show me a list of all field maps (flevels) and field scripts where the animation is used."

I plan to update the Kujata website soon with some of this functionality.

picklejar

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: 2019-05-17 02:41:16 »
    Finally decided to start looking at battle models and animations this week, and already made a lot of progress. Here's a beta online viewer:

https://picklejar76.github.io/kujata-webapp/battle-model-details/rtaa

psiphre

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: 2019-06-17 16:38:57 »
    Hey, i am interested in those battle models.  is there any way i could help or contribute to your project?

picklejar

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: 2020-05-04 12:01:01 »
    sorry for slow reply, I'm not actively working on this project anymore, but the code is open source, anyone can contribute to it, the GitHub link is in the first post

dominuslex

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: 2020-05-08 02:45:48 »
    Its a bummer to hear you are no longer working on this project. Would be nice to get that gltf-ff7 program you mentioned.

I have read through the documentation, and it is not clear where I need to put the lgp file, or the extracted files, before beginning the conversion process. Any pointers?