Author Topic: SOLVED: Adding modified Kernel.BIN to PSX Version of FFVII  (Read 3219 times)

lolkuro

After messing around with WallMarket for a while, and not feeling a desire to install FF7 for PC, I wanted to modify my PSX version I have downloaded.
Before I get screams of "pirate!" directed at me, I do in fact own the original PSX copy, and have for years.

I tried using an ISO editor and directly replace the Kernel.BIN file in all three "Discs" but loading the game only nets a black screen in ePSXe.

What exactly am I doing wrong and how do I properly replace Kernel.bin so that it actually works?
« Last Edit: 2012-01-28 14:01:00 by Bosola »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Adding modified Kernel.BIN to PSX Version of FFVII
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-12 15:22:48 »
This is precisely why most people have abandoned the psx altogether, because it is far more work than it is worth.  I have not looked into this but I assume it is because the disc contents are read by their physical place on the disc and not filename.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Adding modified Kernel.BIN to PSX Version of FFVII
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-12 18:01:45 »
You need to reimport your file using something like the CDMage beta. Most ISO editors try and create a PC-CDROM filesystem, which the PSX won't read.

This is precisely why most people have abandoned the psx altogether, because it is far more work than it is worth.

It's not *that* hard - and you get a *far* larger audience in return. For me, the small player base of the PC release meant I could never commit much time to modding it.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-12 18:12:33 by Bosola »