Author Topic: [WIP] Cait Sith Model  (Read 8029 times)

tokomonster

• View Profile
[WIP] Cait Sith Model
« on: 2010-06-16 12:06:31 »
Update:

I've gotten really busy with school and work, and I haven't had a chance to even think about finishing this model. I'm just going to put it out there as is. It would be awesome if someone could texture it, or even improve the model as needed. It was my first 3D model, and I didn't even know how to use Blender when I started, so I'm sure it could use some improvements.

I've included the .blend file, and a .3ds export.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U34LTDJD

Original:

I originally posted this in the Game Tweaking forum, but someone directed me this way. I'm working on a new Cait Sith. I have it in mind as a battle model.

This is my very first time doing any kind of 3D modeling. I know how to get it from where it is now into the game, but there are still quite a few unknowns.

1. Is there a polygon limit for a model?
2. If so, how do I find the polygon count in Blender?
3. How do I create a decent texture from scratch? I know how to import a picture file, and UV map, but actually creating a texture that looks good escapes me.

Here is the model I have so far.

« Last Edit: 2011-02-18 15:37:24 by tokomonster »

Tidus_654

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Cait Sith Model
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-16 13:53:13 »
Looks quite good, but the wings aren't a little bigger than the original one?

tokomonster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-16 14:18:41 »
Yes, they are normally smaller. As I said, I did it from scratch. I got them done and realized they were a lot bigger than they should be, but it seemed like a happy accident. I like the way it looks.

I'm no expert, and I haven't actually put it into the game yet, but I can't imagine it will affect anything. On the battle skeleton, the wings are attached the torso. They don't have a joint, so they don't move independently.

I have considered shrinking them, and it shouldn't be that hard to do, but I like them the way they are now. If others really want the smaller wings, I can make them smaller. Maybe even make two versions.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-16 14:32:34 »
Looks good!  The problem with the wings is, since they don't have bones, they will remain rigid to the torso.  And the larger they are, the more obvious it will be.

tokomonster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-16 15:31:10 »
Ok. I made the wings significantly smaller, and I tried to position them a little more like the original. I just did some rough shrinking, rotating, and repositioning. I still have some touching up to do, but I'm all out of time at the moment.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-16 16:05:34 »
nice, i was working on a cait sith model, had it partly textured, though my uv's were balls, and the model was kinda average.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9483.msg131662#msg131662

If yer interested in modeling for team avalanche i suggest you check out the bombing mission thread, which is where we need the most help :P.

As to poly counts in blender, you can see the number of verts, edges and face on the top menu bar, on the far right. each has 2 numbers, one is total, another is selected units.

tokomonster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-01 16:55:39 »
I finished the modeling. Now I have to do UVs and texturing.

Here he is after separating all the parts, and scaling them to the original.

Now, I'm off to bed (I work nights). Next chance I get, I'm going to do some searches for texturing tutorials.

Edit: Added picture of the back.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-01 16:59:53 by tokomonster »

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-01 22:13:41 »

Recorded the process of modeling and texturing this if anybody wants to see :P

http://ff.millenia3d.net/shuriken_video.rar
Its a texturing tutorial although not really for Cait Sith but its a tutorial. :)

Tyr

• "To be forgotten is worse than death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-17 09:09:51 »
It's just for baking...not really a tutorial on how to make textures by hand. The model looks good but it's a bit too high poly I think.