Author Topic: PS2 HELP PLZ  (Read 3825 times)

usman

• View Profile
PS2 HELP PLZ
« on: 2003-02-09 16:55:30 »
Hi:
I am looking forward to buy a Playstation 2 for my self. I have a few questions regarding PS2 Please do answer me as soon as possible so I make up my mind clear to buy the best.

1.   Which is the Latest Series of PS2.

2.   Whats the Major difference in PAL and NTSC systems as I know Pal systems are U.K based and    NTSC systems are USA based, is there any other difference like speed and Mainboards ETC.

3.   How should I check the Serial No. of BIOS of PS2 before buying a system because the dealers    here in my country (Pakistan) will cheat me and they change the upper case of PS2 and sell    me old one.

4.   Someone told me that the "R" series PS2 Models are the best, is it true ?

5.   Any recommendations to buy any model, which is more stable and error free.

Thanks in advance.

Looking for an earlier response from you.

A Confused Gamer
Muhammad Usman Amir
[email protected]

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2003-02-09 18:06:46 »
1. Which is the Latest Series of PS2. (PlayStation 2 SILVER)

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
PS2 HELP PLZ
« Reply #2 on: 2003-02-09 18:54:56 »
colors dont matter do they? i thought it was teh v7.....

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
Re: PS2 HELP PLZ
« Reply #3 on: 2003-02-09 23:11:41 »
>2.   Whats the Major difference in PAL and NTSC systems as I know Pal systems are U.K based and    NTSC systems are USA based, is there any other difference like speed and Mainboards ETC.

PAL games run at 50Hz, NTSC at 60Hz. Normally PAL games are either slower, or end up with black borders. I'd have an NTSC console if I could afford the import tax on all my games.

>5.   Any recommendations to buy any model, which is more stable and error free.

My one is an original PAL one, and is fine, but hey luck was with me.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #4 on: 2003-02-10 01:22:38 »

1.   Which is theLatest Series of PS2.

Version 7. (SCPH-3900x)

2.   Whats the Major difference in PAL and NTSC systems as I know Pal systems are U.K based and    NTSC systems are USA based, is there any other difference like speed and Mainboards ETC.

The only difference is the way they display the information. (Due to the television standards of the areas.) There IS a graphics difference between a Japanese NTSC PS2 and a USA NTSC PS2, but it has no real effect on the gameplay, or the look. (Something about graphics chips in the Japanese ones that the goverment also uses, forcing them to change the design for the USA PS2s...)

3.   How should I check the Serial No. of BIOS of PS2 before buying a system because the dealers    here in my country (Pakistan) will cheat me and they change the upper case of PS2 and sell    me old one.

Short of booting it up, there is no way that I know of to check the SCPH Number, without trusting the box. There is a hole in the bottom of the box that has shows the Serial number on the case, but as you said, the dealers could switch it out on you. You might want to consider ordering one online. Should be a similar price, minus the shipping...

No Clue. I don't even know what a R-series PS2 is...

5.   Any recommendations to buy any model, which is more stable and error free.
Don't get a Gen4. My brother and his friend both have a gen4 and they've both broken down in less than a year. They can't play any of the newer games anymore.

My Gen7 (SCPH-39001) seems to work great, but I only bought it shortly before Christmas, so it hasn't had time to generate any problems...

Hope this helps!

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
PS2 HELP PLZ
« Reply #5 on: 2003-02-11 20:51:19 »
gen4 is bad huh? my brother had an interesting problem with his PS2.. he got it for christmas not the last one but the one before that.. It wouldnt play any blue backed games i.e. Tekken Tag.. or PS1 games.. he was really mad.. So i went to the store bought another one and put his in the box and took it back.. excellent solution if you ask me.. and hey his works now.. :)

Sephiroth 3D.. Did his not play blue backed games either?

WOW 666th Post BaBy! I will have to keep it this way for awhile and remember it LoL!!

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
PS2 HELP PLZ
« Reply #6 on: 2003-02-13 15:34:17 »
I dunno. It does play the older games, like Metal Gear Solid 2... I don't know if any of the other games work...

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2003-02-14 16:50:31 »
Quote from: Sephiroth 3D
No Clue. I don't even know what a R-series PS2 is...

I have an SCPH-30006R
I'm not too sure about the R as well, but my console is an NTSC/J machine that doesn't have the Japanese language option in the Browser.
My country actually uses PAL so it's a little odd isn't it?