Author Topic: FF7 Cosmo Canon "Look! A shooting star!" problem  (Read 4919 times)

Vaffel

FF7 Cosmo Canon "Look! A shooting star!" problem
« on: 2004-06-04 12:33:48 »
As the topic says, when Aeris says "Look! A shooting star!" the game
crashes.

I got XP.

I have tried:
XP-patch
1.01 patch
All three 'solutions' eidos have
reinstalling the game, both standard and maximum

What to do? I see that this is a common problem, so I though maybe there was a patch, but I havent found any :(

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-04 14:52:29 »
Maybe its just me, and I havent checked it for a while, but shouldnt this question have long since been moved to the FAQs?

You have been blessed with the Cosmo Canyon crash, there is no true cause, and no true solution. (I theorize that its actually caused by the planetary alignment at the exact second you install FF7, if Jupiter aligns perfectly between the Sun and Pluto eclipsing Pluto, you will have the Cosmo Canyon crash)

With any luck, you can send your saved game to someone here, and they will be kind enough to play past that point and send it back your way.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-04 15:24:09 »
You can give the second to last post a try..... But no one has figured what causes this crash on some machines and not others. This crash has been around since FF7PC came out for Win95....back when everyone had Win95, that is.

http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=2719

A movie is supposed to play at that point....I forgot what it was labeled as.....but for some reason some computers are hanging, when it starts.

I don't know the first thing about AVI formats....but maybe it would be easier just to take that AVI and run it thru some type of conversion program that changes it to a newer or a different form of an AVI format......and then use the, "run movies off harddrive", trick. Maybe that would fix the crash? Or maybe if you removed the sound out of the AVI? (that is, if it has sound; I can't remember)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-04 15:40:28 »
If a movie file is messing it up, you may be able to use a different movie that you know works (after setting it up to play the movies off your hard drive, or burning a new CD).

You'd have to know which movie is supposed to play.

fa_pa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-04 15:46:29 »
Quote from: Threesixty
I don't know the first thing about AVI formats....but maybe it would be easier just to take that AVI and run it thru some type of conversion program that changes it to a newer or a different form of an AVI format......and then use the, "run movies off harddrive", trick. Maybe that would fix the crash? Or maybe if you removed the sound out of the AVI? (that is, if it has sound; I can't remember)

i think that does not work because ff7 plays the movies with its own codec. that means that you can not use other movie files because they have different headers and codec specific algorithms that ff7.exe doesn't understand.

Vaffel

« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-04 16:19:13 »
thanks for the answers!  Would anyone be so kind to play just past the point, and send it back to me?

Save-file
Email: [email protected]

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-05 17:43:31 »
The cosmo canyon crash is the bane of my existance (just like the gondola)  :evil:

Vaffel

argh! Again!
« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-09 15:42:35 »
Some1 helped me last time though!

But now it has happened again :(

When Cloud is a CP, and I have gotten both Huge Materia. I go down to Medeel to visit tifa and cloud, when Weapon comes. I fight him, and blabla, I end up in clouds dreamworld. After I have gone throuh the Nibelheim, and when Im going to the nest thing, Cload talkes something about a Well (dont remember now, but right after the game crashes!)

Can someone please get past that point for me, and send me the save back?

the file
to
[email protected]

Thank you so much! :D

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
Re: argh! Again!
« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-09 17:02:22 »
It would appear a new glitch has been found....Chalk it up boys....

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-09 18:28:17 »
I doubt it....probably a bad movie/disk.

Vaffel

« Reply #10 on: 2004-06-09 20:27:48 »
I use ISO (to spare the originals, and to skip the cd-changing), so theres no such thing as "bad disc", the video's playing just fine in mediaplayer.

Even if I try to copy the moviefiles to another place on the hdd, and change the bad video with one I know works, it still wont work.

I got someone to play past it for me. But now, right after, im stuck in junon. I can't go up the elevator. It's both junelein og junelego that doesn't work.  I tried earier in the game to go down, and it crashed, so I used the heli instead. The bottom works perfectly, but on the top, it crashes.

I tried to change the junele-files with the junin_go/in, and it didn't work.

Im about to give up :(  This is the best game ever. And far better than FarCry and the other new games, so it's so sad that it crashes all the time :(

Junon got a g*d d**m airport, so why can't I land the highlander there ? ahh..  Im sorry for my frustration.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-09 20:37:39 »
Try using the originals...that is, if you really have them...

Vaffel

« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-09 21:03:28 »
I have of course tried them too :P Haha! Thats the first thing I do when it crashes

And I dont like suspicious sarcasm