Author Topic: GUI v2.0  (Read 45677 times)

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
Re: GUI v2.0
« Reply #50 on: 2010-11-09 13:42:22 »
I personally have no qualms with the current font. As it is, it works quite nice for an upscaled/HD version of the game. More importantly, even if this project wasn't about bringing the PC version up to today's standards, the text is now much clearer/cleaner than it's ever been.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010-11-09 16:54:05 »
I personally like a lot the two screen of the original font upscaled that NCS posted. It's way closer to the original than the font currently being used. I think it's what basically the font should have been since the start, a polished and upscaled version of the original one. The letters width, shadowing, looks and spacing are just spot on. Would be awesome to see NCS effort continued and perhaps, offered as an alternative in the future to the current font. Great job NCS!

You have got to be kidding me.  It is jagged and it looks like it has a filter applied to it.  The one currently in use IS what the original uses (minus a slight chop they did), and it looks smooth and professional.

Anyway sl1982 has spoken.   As always, anyone is welcome to create their own.  8-)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #52 on: 2010-11-09 18:05:04 »
You have got to be kidding me.  It is jagged and it looks like it has a filter applied to it.

Ouch D:
I actually put some effort into it as well xD

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #53 on: 2010-11-09 19:47:23 »
You have got to be kidding me.  It is jagged and it looks like it has a filter applied to it.  The one currently in use IS what the original uses (minus a slight chop they did), and it looks smooth and professional.

Anyway sl1982 has spoken.   As always, anyone is welcome to create their own.  8-)

Really? I was under the impression that: was new....

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010-11-09 19:49:46 »
As I explained before, the PSX version of the game uses a slightly modified form of the font "Verdana". The PC version was made seemingly not knowing this, so they made an upscaled version of the PSX game's font.

The new font is Verdana, same as the PSX version, just clearer. While a font based on the PC version would be kickass, it makes perfect sense to use the same font that was originally used in the game to begin with.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010-11-09 19:51:46 »

Really? I was under the impression that: screenshot was new....

That is a screenshot of v1.0 of the gui.

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #56 on: 2010-11-09 20:38:34 »

Really? I was under the impression that: screenshot was new....

That is a screenshot of v1.0 of the gui.

It is? But I just took it after installing GUI v2.0.7. Or am I missing something here (it's been a long day).

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #57 on: 2010-11-09 20:45:59 »
Yeah, actually, I don't think my menu changed when I installed the latest GUI, I just didn't say anything because I thought I was going crazy.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010-11-09 21:31:46 »
Hmm. Well take a look at your config file and see if mod_path = avalanche is in there.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010-11-10 04:59:47 »
I do, there are many pages of redundant pic's and I appreciate all your efforts in making them look there best.

NCS fonts look amazing, a couple of letter spacing issues (I see some dots).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010-11-10 06:52:43 »
You have got to be kidding me.  It is jagged and it looks like it has a filter applied to it.

Ouch D:
I actually put some effort into it as well xD

No offence to you personally was intended.   :)

Red46

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010-11-10 12:45:27 »
I personally like a lot the two screen of the original font upscaled that NCS posted. It's way closer to the original than the font currently being used. I think it's what basically the font should have been since the start, a polished and upscaled version of the original one. The letters width, shadowing, looks and spacing are just spot on. Would be awesome to see NCS effort continued and perhaps, offered as an alternative in the future to the current font. Great job NCS!

]

At all, as NCS himself pointed out the font is still glitchy and needs to be polished, right now there are evident issues in the alignment of the font. What I am saying is: that font DOES LOOK more faithful to the original FFVII font than the one currently used. With proper polishing and adjusting that font has a lot of potential, the current one as good as it is (and it couldn't be any else, seeing that a whole bunch of talented people works on it) looks to me like a whole different type of font, that as much as it does resemble the original FFVII one, it is NOT. NCS' however is way more accurate in reproducing the original FFVII font looks.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010-11-10 13:11:24 »
It doesn't look more faithful to what was intended, which was the Verdana font.  That is what they would have used.  I prefer a font looking as good as it can to what was intended rather than trying to make it like the very thing we are trying to get away from with these overhauls.

Each to their own I guess!  :P
« Last Edit: 2010-11-10 13:32:20 by DLPB »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2010-11-10 15:09:36 »
Personally I think the GUI v2 font is great, no change needed.
Well done to sl1982

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #64 on: 2010-11-10 17:19:50 »
While we're on the subject of complete accuracy, I might as well show off something else I did.

The Avatar for Cloud always seemed off in the TA patch, and that's because it was, slightly.

Original (Upscaled w/fractals):
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/beefpwnage/cloud_00f.png

TA Avatar:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/beefpwnage/cloud_00x.png

So I did a little editing in photoshop to get it right. I know I'm nitpicking here, but why the hell not? :P
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/beefpwnage/cloud_00.png

I'm not sure if it's the case with the other characters, I haven't checked, because I haven't noticed.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-10 17:22:08 by NCS »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010-11-11 01:41:59 »
Oh I never noticed that. I don't mind either one, as long as the characters are consistent.
Although, the blue eyes are definitely a must.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2011-02-08 01:59:37 »
Version 2.0.8 is out. Includes fixes made by DLPB. Perhaps he can add a changelog?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2011-02-08 02:25:25 »
Changelog:

1.  Reduced size of grey battle text, looks cuter

2.  Letters are corrected to be more proportional than last time, most evident when comparing words LIMIT and LEVEL.

3.  All outside bars slightly smaller to correct the fact that the inside bars (like that of ATB, barrier and Limit) were actually 2 pixels too small for the outside graphic.

4.  Patch should not be picked up by as many virus scanners as last time.

That's all really, it was done for the main battle mod, but why not for this too?

.. PS, this original battle menu looks awful, I am surprised the developers got away with it.

« Last Edit: 2011-02-08 02:33:24 by DLPB »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 2011-02-08 19:44:32 »
I have to say, though, I'm not convinced about the Verdana thing. Verdana wasn't drawn until late 1996, when FF7 would have already been *well* developed. To me, FF7's UI font looks far more like Frutiger.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-08 19:47:07 by Bosola »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2011-02-08 21:03:44 »
That does look suspiciously like the ff7 font. There are some minor changes though.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: 2011-02-08 21:53:05 »
To be honest, I'd imagine the FF7 font was written for the game ground-up, as opposed to being another font adapted. It's certainly inspired by 'Humanist' sans-serifs, and it does resemble Verdana in a lot of ways - the form of its 'y's especially. It reminds me of Lucida Sans, too.

The biggest issue is that FF7 renders its font in monospace. A variable width font like Verdana looks strange. What would Consolas look like, I wonder?

Oh, something else to note: remember that fonts have their own licensing restrictions. Whilst most font licenses allow you to embed your fonts in another creative work (such as when you author a PDF), I don't know if what we're doing here - printing out a set of glyphs as texts is streamed - might actually breach the font license. I'm likely being paranoid, but can someone check this out?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2011-02-08 21:55:36 »
 8)  Well verdana or not, it is close enough for me :P

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2011-02-08 22:29:05 »
The biggest issue is that FF7 renders its font in monospace. A variable width font like Verdana looks strange. What would Consolas look like, I wonder?

Consolas has great huge block serifs on the i, j and l; that would look weird.

But what do you mean by monospace? FFVII's letters certainly aren't the same width.

8)  Well verdana or not, it is close enough for me :P

You'll never please Bosola; he's even more of a font snob than me :P

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: 2011-02-08 23:28:17 »
You're right, they aren't monospaced. Still, I do think that letter spacing is an issue.

Consider the following. On the left is a shot of the current UI. On the right, I've tightened up the lettering. I've also brought the stems of the 'r's up a little.

You'll never please Bosola; he's even more of a font snob than me

I'm not a snob. Well, I am, yes, but with good reason. Times New Roman is a thoroughly average font, and with so many gorgeous serif alternatives out there, there's really no need to be lumbered with it. Look:

Now, I fully expect LKM to declare TNR the winner in the face of even this. But then again, he doesn't prefer FFVI to FFVII, so what would he know?
« Last Edit: 2011-02-08 23:30:37 by Bosola »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2011-02-08 23:43:42 »
You'll never please Bosola; he's even more of a font snob than me

I'm not a snob. Well, I am, yes, but with good reason. Times New Roman is a thoroughly average font, and with so many gorgeous serif alternatives out there, there's really no need to be lumbered with it. Look:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/289/fontcompare.png

Now, I fully expect LKM to declare TNR the winner in the face of even this.

I prefer Garamond.

As a serif font, at any rate. I'm actually a huge Helveticafag.

But then again, he doesn't prefer FFVI to FFVII, so what would he know?

You is
Spoiler: show
trollin'
!