Author Topic: FF7 PSX pre-rendered backgrounds to replacing the ones of FF7 PC version?  (Read 79866 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Well i dont know about everyone else but I like the way mine turned out. Sure they may look a bit fake but oh well. I honestly dont have the time to go through and hand tweak everything. Some things work better for some backgrounds. As of right now I have 17 backgrounds done, but some of them cannot be put back into the game until we get a new version of palmer that fixes some issues. Either way I am still going from the end of the list alphabetically, but will probably release my stuff on my own. That way other people can start at the beginnning or elsewhere and there wont be any overlap until we meet in the middle. By that time all the backgrounds should be done so people can pick which they prefer better.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
HAve you uploaded some backgrounds sl?  I will give them a go in game and see what I think!  8)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
HAve you uploaded some backgrounds sl?  I will give them a go in game and see what I think!  8)

I have not yet, i will send you a pre-release later. Release will most likely be this week.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
well i solved my problem, and it was patience. I went in thinking the conversions would be easy and in the end it caused a ton of headache. Some careful planning and testing of layers BEFORE conversion has solved the big headache for me and I should now be able to make decent progress. I don't really like the sharpener in perfect resize either but I'm still messing around with sharpening in photoshop to find something I like. Thanks everyone for your help. And I am glad to say I am on track. Gonna test around and find a sharpening effect I like before proceeding too far, but that shouldn't take too long. I will be doing the whole game, regardless of whether or not I get help, but without help it could take upwards of 6 months or so, so I hope we can all come together as a team :]

also I just want to thank xLostWingx for the vote of confindence :P

one last thing for now. Frivol I dunno why you are resizing to 2046 but an exact 4 times resize of 512 should be 2048, just a friendly fyi.

*edit*

While I appreciate the input DLPB, any method of sharpening I seem to implement on a noticeable scale seems to add to the so called "blotchiness" and discoloration. I simply don't like it, and the detail it adds seems trivial when compared with the downside. In converse the slight blur is hardly noticeable, and while yes very slightly diminishes the level of detail, seems to fix all of my color issues. To prove this point to myself I zoomed in on a certain section of an image after resizing with fractals so that the pixels were visible, even without applying the sharpening, I notice little stringy sections of discoloration, after applying sharpening these become enhanced and thick, but after applying the 1.0 pixel blur completely eliminated these stringy inconsistencies and with a hardly noticeable diminish in quality.

To put it simply, in regards to a re-sized image, I feel like a slight blur is a compliment while sharpening is an argument. If the starting size of the resolution were higher than sharpening would be a great tool, but in my own experience it's better to work with what you have than to try and turn charcoal into a diamond. Yes of course it is possible but it requires a lot of time and effort. If we only had to re-size a single image then yes I would be all for it, and I would clean up the discoloration manually if need be. However we have to do 1,000 or more images here and I feel that my method is the best option (for what I have working with) for cleaning these images up.

I realize I will probably come across an image that would do well with some sharpening and I will take some time for each image to decide the best course of action, but in order to get this done it can't be done perfectly. If we try, we might as well start from scratch. I know I can't change anyone's preference nor would I like to, but it seems if nobody agrees with me on the blur issue than there is only one thing for me to do. We will have to make separate projects for now.

However I also feel I should be more helpful than to just have my way and finale. So I decided, I would release my final project in 2 formats. For in game usage edited to the best of my discretion, and another with all layers merged and re-sized with fractals. No blur, no sharpening or editing of any kind will be applied to the later. This will allow the entire portion of the community which doesn't have access to Perfect Resize to make their own decision on what it should look like without the need for expensive software (there are plenty of wonderful freeware image editing tools, GIMP is one example).  of course you will have to cut the layers yourself, and when the time comes i'll try and write a detailed tutorial on this so that as many people as possible can participate. Consider it my way of making this project open source in the future. Of ocurse any one who has access to Perfect re-size can help me with this and it wouldn't take much time at all. But for now I would like to wish you the best of luck with your project sl1982, and with that I will get to work.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-08 22:00:28 by yarLson »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Resize comes with a % anyway, set to 400%

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good luck with your project as well, may I suggest that you start at the beginning of the field files still? This will at least allow all the fine folks here the chance to enjoy a whole set of updated files that much quicker.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
sure thing, I will be starting with all the files from the first bombing mission up to when they arrive at the slums, so I can have a demo release (its only like 5 or 6 images), but after than I will start from the beginning.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hmm ok, I am not sure if i am going to be running into any of those scenes, but you are free to do whatever you wish.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it I am not sure if that is the best idea for me to start at the end. Going alphabetical is very difficult to test out as the scenes are all over the damn place (distance and chronologically)

for example: i have done the materia caves, the corel train, the truck in the flashback, chocobo sage house, and something in wutai
« Last Edit: 2011-03-08 22:26:58 by sl1982 »

frivol

• View Profile
Frivol I dunno why you are resizing to 2046 but an exact 4 times resize of 512 should be 2048, just a friendly fyi.

Thank you yarLson but I just checked the background and it is definitely 2048*2048. It was my bad anyway cos I wrote 2046*2046, going to edit the post right now.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
well if you want to go alphabetically you could use the black chocobo save editor to make it much easier to jump around and save anywhere (just lock the save menu item in the other tab, this will force it to always be available). It's what I've been doing, if you don't want to do that, I could go from the beginning of the game, as far as the layout and you could start at the end. I would start from bombing mission, you would start from final battle. Also I have decided I am only going to release 3 maps as a demo. I have started alphabetically now.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have started going chronologically. When you jump off the train to when you board the elevator in the reactor is done so far.

MysticCloud

• View Profile
Have you guys finished this project ? Your work was looking real good in the previous posts.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
I would really like to know what Felix did here - http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10251.msg153600#msg153600

If he would share that knowledge with us, im sure it would be the best method for redoing the field backgrounds.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Most probably, he did it from scratch. Of course doing them from scratch would be the best method but it would most probably never get completed