Author Topic: [FF7] Dramatically improved pre-rendered backgrounds - FacePalmer (v3.0)  (Read 129275 times)

Azrael_SEt

Is there a tutorial? I converted some files with photoshop. What to do next to ge them working.

Omzy

• View Profile
This is from the first post
:
Instructions
1) Extract flevel.lgp using UnLGP
2) Copy and paste the script into a text editor and save as a .jsx
3) This script must be placed into %Photoshop%\Presets\Scripts
4) Batch export layers to PNGs in Palmer
5) Place all of these folders inside %Photoshop%\ff7TexturesIN\
6) Open Photoshop, run File->Scripts->FacePalmer
7) Open Palmer again and batch import the folders in %Photoshop%\ff7TexturesOUT\
8 ) Place all new folders in Palmer's output folder into %FFVII%\mods\%modpath%\field\
9) Play the game!

For setting up the modpath, just change modpath in ff7 config to FacePalmer\ and put field folders in mods\FacePalmer\field\

Here are the links to Palmer and the Frontend:
http://backup.ninjaloot.se/share/palmer-0.6b.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?a0btb4nc6o7hpx8

Azrael_SEt

7) Open Palmer again and batch import the folders in %Photoshop%\ff7TexturesOUT\
Figured out how it works.

I have a problem converting bonevil2:
Error 1233
Line 584
--> app.open(composite.File)

I had to resize the bonevile2 772 png manually with paint, but it worked.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-29 21:56:30 by Azrael_SEt »

Omzy

• View Profile
Yes, that is a bug I just found, a few files have the wrong sizes by like 1 pixel. Until I have time to fix it, just manually fix them and continue.

Edit: Retrospectively, this comment doesn't make sense. He was talking about something different that I have since fixed.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-04 04:01:53 by Omzy »

Azrael_SEt

The problem is hyou 5_2 there are like 20-30 little files that facepalmer fails. It is pretty timeconsuming to resize them manually. It seems like only the very small files make problems.

Omzy

• View Profile
Yah, until I can fix it, just skip that one. It happens on like 3% of the files. I'd like to see someone get some stuff in game and let me know how it looks and feels if you're able. Rough spots can be ironed out easily.

Azrael_SEt

I just took the 3% and rendered them on my own. I just used Irfan View to batch-convert them to 400% and then used Perfectum. Looks pretty much the same then facepalmer skript and works with palmer batch-import :-)

Omzy

• View Profile
Looks pretty much the same then facepalmer skript and works with palmer batch-import :-)
It will only look the same if you got lucky and only had to resize some alpha animations. If you did that to anything else that has to fit together like background + foreground + foreground animations, lines will show up everywhere. That's the basic reason for developing FacePalmer, because you can't simply batch resize everything.

Edit: Ok, I understand what you mean now. Those files should be fine to resize on your own since they are just layovers and not dependent on the background. I just fixed a bug that caused FacePalmer to stop periodically on several files (the 3% I was talking about). Now it should only stop if you run out of memory / crash for some reason (although the program should not leak). I'll look into why it messes up hyou5_2 and I'll try to post an updated script shortly.

It will still stop on a couple files like trnad_1 and las4_3 since they do not have a background (00000000), so just remove them from your input folder. I've added them to the list of special cases that will be released.

And for the record, hyou5_2 contains 257 files...  ;D

Update: I'm currently in the process of uploading all the files. That means you guys can expect something to play with within a day or two...  :mrgreen:
Keep in mind, there are a few special cases that have yet to be fixed and integrated. These will be completed and distributed as time permits.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-05 02:52:23 by Omzy »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
ugg I should have been more thorough about this is prior explanation but you should have added a feature to add in black behind the bottom layer and behind all lighting layers. You see, perfect resize doesn't fit the proportions exactly, it's usually a few pixels off of the original and without the black behind it you can get some weird, though usually hardly noticeable cutoffs. It gets really bad in the lighting layers however and can get pretty blocky and unattractive. All of which can be easily avoided by a little bit of black. Black doesn't show at all in the lighting layers, and any transparency in the bottom layer will be changed to black anyway so it doesn't affect quality in any negative ways. I'll try and add it in myself if you don't much mind.

In the end I will probably end up using your script. I will spend the majority of the rest of the project time cleaning up and error correcting. While scripts are convenient, I should expect some level of err, and that kinda thing just doesn't "jive" well with me.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-05 17:38:44 by yarLson »

Omzy

• View Profile
ugg I should have been more thorough about this is prior explanation but you should have added a feature to add in black behind the bottom layer and behind all lighting layers. You see, perfect resize doesn't fit the proportions exactly, it's usually a few pixels off of the original and without the black behind it you can get some weird, though usually hardly noticeable cutoffs. It gets really bad in the lighting layers however and can get pretty blocky and unattractive. All of which can be easily avoided by a little bit of black. Black doesn't show at all in the lighting layers, and any transparency in the bottom layer will be changed to black anyway so it doesn't affect quality in any negative ways. I'll try and add it in myself if you don't much mind.

In the end I will probably end up using your script. I will spend the majority of the rest of the project time cleaning up and error correcting. While scripts are convenient, I should expect some level of err, and that kinda thing just doesn't "jive" well with me.
I did put a black background behind everything except the non-alpha parallax layers, so that shouldn't be an issue. I playtested from the beginning up to the sector 7 slums last night and all looked well except 2 very minor things that are hardly noticeable unless you're looking for them. My biggest concern is the special cases once I get all this uploaded, and there are only like 10 to fix (I did half) before everything is 100%. And by 100% I mean from what I can see right now. I'm sure people will report errors as it is playtested and those can be addressed then.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
well, sounds like some fine work, depending on your upload results i may not need to finish my project after all :p

Omzy

• View Profile
Well, here it is. I might give a picture tutorial later, but let me know if you're able to download it (it is 3GB)

FacePalmer

You need WinRAR to unpack.

1) Click 'Download' on the right side of the webpage (make sure you're inside the FacePalmer folder of SkyDrive)
2) Unzip with WinRAR
3) Use WinRAR to batch unRAR all files inside the field folder (select all, right click, extract to separate folders)
4) Delete original archives in this folder
5) Drag the entire FacePalmer folder to your mods directory
6) Set your mod_path = FacePalmer/ in ff7_opengl.cfg
7) Play the game

Edit: Link didn't work, see torrent in separate posts
« Last Edit: 2011-08-06 17:43:02 by Omzy »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Ahh man im not downloading all those seperately, make me one huge zip and ill seed the hell out of it on a torrent, I have 20MB Upload

-Ric-

• View Profile
Well, here it is. I might give a picture tutorial later, but let me know if you're able to download it (it is 3GB)

FacePalmer

You need WinRAR to unpack.

1) Click 'Download' on the right side of the webpage (make sure you're inside the FacePalmer folder of SkyDrive)
2) Unzip with WinRAR
3) Use WinRAR to batch unRAR all files inside the field folder (select all, right click, extract to separate folders)
4) Delete original archives in this folder
5) Drag the entire FacePalmer folder to your mods directory
6) Set your mod_path = FacePalmer/ in ff7_opengl.cfg
7) Play the game

seems like its only possible to download 1 by 1  :o or maybe im doing something wrong.. never  used SkyDrive tbh  :|

Omzy

• View Profile
If you follow the link I posted and click 'Download' on the right side of the page, FacePalmer.zip will popup allowing you to download the entire thing in one shot. I'm not sure how bandwidth works if multiple people are downloading it from there at once, but once you get it, it sure would be nice to have a torrent available since it would likely be much faster.

Edit: Link didn't work, see torrent in separate post
« Last Edit: 2011-08-06 17:43:31 by Omzy »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
If you follow the link I posted and click 'Download' on the right side of the page, FacePalmer.zip will popup allowing you to download the entire thing in one shot. I'm not sure how bandwidth works if multiple people are downloading it from there at once, but once you get it, it sure would be nice to have a torrent available since it would likely be much faster.

Ill set one up

Edit: No download link for me, it says     
     Feed

Sharing

Everyone (public)
    Get a link
    Embed
« Last Edit: 2011-08-05 20:19:30 by jeffdamann »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
I signed in and I still don't get a 'download' link.
Facepalmer and Field are folders.  Field is full of rars containing the pngs for each area.

EDIT: YEAH! I downloaded all 667 files!  Now I'll make a bat file to extract all the rars into the proper folders.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-05 22:22:26 by PitBrat »

Omzy

• View Profile
Ok, sorry guys, I didn't try it on another machine or logged into a different account. I'll figure out a better solution and post a new link tonight.

Edit: I'll just give jeffdaman the account credentials so he can get it and make a torrent out of it.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-05 20:41:51 by Omzy »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
my download speeds are kind of crap right now. so someone please tell me how it came out when you've got it :]

-Ric-

• View Profile
downloading pretty fast here about 2 hours left

i will leave it seeding after its done

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
I'm getting some crap speeds too. About 60 to 125 kbps.

One I get it, I could make a mirror using Megaupload or Mediafire links.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-06 03:24:18 by DarkFang »

-Ric-

• View Profile
I'm getting some crap speeds too. About 60 to 125 kbps.

One I get it, I could make a mirror using Megaupload or Mediafire links.

100 kbs aint bad considering we have 1 seed xD

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
That's true, and I'm getting 200kbps right now so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Kemlin

• View Profile
I'll lend myself to seeding after I've downloaded, as well. Better backgrounds are totally worth it.

First thoughts: "Oh wow, it's downloading pretty fast. 500KB!"

Then: "Wait...that's not KB. That's bytes. BYTES."

Oh snap!