Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837061 times)

Idubaren

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8000 on: 2019-06-07 07:07:18 »
I've checked the Shinra Mansion basement in Cloud's memory for when Sephiroth is reading the books after installing the new iro with the hext for mo, I thin you said you'd do it to fix that problem, however, for me the boxes pop up but then don't show, and pop out when I hit "confirm" button unable to read them.

on the good side of things I also checked guard scorpion and it has the correct colors now :D

Jonesin4Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: 2019-06-07 10:36:34 »
Yeah the only IRO I've used was the one from page 1 of this thread

[June 6th 2019] - 7th Heaven IRO
Download
*NOTE: Specifically for use with the mod-loader program 7th Heaven (7H).
For more information: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15520.0

Haven't played in a few days cause I'd like to get it sorted out,   that seems to be the only issue I'm having...     Thanks for the replies btw

Just noticed it said June 6th,   not sure what was updated and if so not sure how to update it without reinstall
« Last Edit: 2019-06-07 10:38:19 by Jonesin4Rock »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: 2019-06-07 11:27:44 »
I tried out NT 1.5, it's a good mod though the difficulty is a bit higher than I'm used to and even simple enemy farming seems a chore now simply because even the lowest scrubs seem to hit a lot harder so it becomes less feasible to draw out battles to steal and morph and such.

I do like the translation a lot, it makes many things clearer, and the extra scenes are nice as well. So are little tidbits like Barret smacking Cloud after the materia tutorial and walking out. That was hilarious, dunno if that was an official cut moment or something you added yourself, but either way it's gold.

I'll echo a previous poster in saying that it would be nice to have a version of NT that uses the original gameplay but with NT's translation and extra scenes. I prefer yours to the one from the Reunion mod and enjoy the vanilla gameplay experience so to have them both would be great.

I've tried uninstalling NT, and even after uninstalling FF7 and reinstalling it (and clearing out the FF7 folder completely in the process, I use the steam version converted to 1998), the changes to materia and limit breaks seem to persist. Yuffie's Landscaper, for instance, still inflicts gradual petrification, which I assume came from NT because I don't recall that being in the original. And the stat modifications from many materia still don't match what they should be in vanilla even though in kernel.bin the values are set to their defaults and not what NT changed them to.

I checked it myself in both the WallMarket editor and Black Chocobo. For example, Cover has the bonuses and penalties from NT still whereas in vanilla it's only supposed to have Vitality +1. NT is the only gameplay mod I've ever installed, the rest is just graphics and sound basically. What could be overriding the kernel.bin in FF7's data folder? Or is there another file that affects materia and limit break functions as well? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The .exe used by steam is ff7_en.exe while the ff7.exe is used by the 1998 version, but game converter as far as I'm aware creates its files using the Steam ones as a base. For kernel, the location of it in steam is lang-en/kernel/ rather than just kernel/. But I reckon the issue is with Steam in some way. What I'll do tonight is set up a new default restore installer and do some research into this; I think I recall some games not reinstalling 'clean' and needing stuff like their .clut file deleted or similar.

I found the area for the "Abyss" boss in northern crater, there is no shadow figure to prompt the fight. Am I doing something wrong?

I think I know what might have caused that but will need to check when I get back from work.

Does it have the fixes to the stats the same as ff7_bc?

Yeah it's just the same hext instructions as the others except it targets the ff7_mo.exe. I checked the debug areas on an ff7_mo.exe in case of conflicts so hopefully it should be OK.

I've checked the Shinra Mansion basement in Cloud's memory for when Sephiroth is reading the books after installing the new iro with the hext for mo, I thin you said you'd do it to fix that problem, however, for me the boxes pop up but then don't show, and pop out when I hit "confirm" button unable to read them.

on the good side of things I also checked guard scorpion and it has the correct colors now :D

The ff7_mo.exe was added because someone requested it, I'm not actually sure which mod IROs use it because my understanding is that menu overhaul uses ff7_bc.exe. Might be wrong. As for that text issue, I think that's linked to other mods that change models (one or two scenes are affected where dialogue is invisible for unknown reasons); have you got any of those activated?

Yeah the only IRO I've used was the one from page 1 of this thread

[June 6th 2019] - 7th Heaven IRO
Download
*NOTE: Specifically for use with the mod-loader program 7th Heaven (7H).
For more information: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15520.0

Haven't played in a few days cause I'd like to get it sorted out,   that seems to be the only issue I'm having...     Thanks for the replies btw

Just noticed it said June 6th,   not sure what was updated and if so not sure how to update it without reinstall

The June 6th update was just to add ff7_mo.exe to the hext files. If your getting that rank issue still then I'll try testing and regenerating the IRO's flevel files when I get back to make sure the issue is out of there.

Idubaren

• View Profile
« Reply #8003 on: 2019-06-07 17:03:18 »

The ff7_mo.exe was added because someone requested it, I'm not actually sure which mod IROs use it because my understanding is that menu overhaul uses ff7_bc.exe. Might be wrong. As for that text issue, I think that's linked to other mods that change models (one or two scenes are affected where dialogue is invisible for unknown reasons); have you got any of those activated?

I got activated the Battle Models Characters, Battle model Weapons and NinoStyle battle models but I'm trying on a new profile without model mods, only New Threat and The Reunion 03, however even with this last disabled the field boxes are gone, I don't activate any field model changing mods since I like the chibis in the fields the only changes done on that places come from your mod.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: 2019-06-07 17:31:22 »
I got activated the Battle Models Characters, Battle model Weapons and NinoStyle battle models but I'm trying on a new profile without model mods, only New Threat and The Reunion 03, however even with this last disabled the field boxes are gone, I don't activate any field model changing mods since I like the chibis in the fields the only changes done on that places come from your mod.

I tested the game with and without IRO, and the dialogue boxes are appearing for me:

You mentioned Reunion 03; is Reunion installed through 7H or its own installer, and which .exe are you using? Is it the ff7_mo.exe?

Pcbruin24

• View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: 2019-06-07 18:03:17 »
Is there any misseable items in the game like the ghost hand from train section? Just got to Kalm but if there is rather just restart now.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: 2019-06-07 18:33:18 »
Is there any misseable items in the game like the ghost hand from train section? Just got to Kalm but if there is rather just restart now.

Shouldn't be anything missable, Ghost Hand can be acquired elsewhere as well.

For the users with persistent NT files, I put together a new default restore installer: https://mega.nz/#!m9slXQqZ!H3MuKoNlqlEd48VgsfmnplmSRVhMqC963uzR1Sd8s8o

It's a fresh upload and an .exe, so make sure to unblock it via properties + run as admin before using it. I'm going to do some reading about steam files not restoring defaults and see if I can find something.

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: 2019-06-07 21:09:15 »
I tested the game with and without IRO, and the dialogue boxes are appearing for me:

You mentioned Reunion 03; is Reunion installed through 7H or its own installer, and which .exe are you using? Is it the ff7_mo.exe?

I'm fairly certain the auto-closing of the dialogue boxes in this particular field relates to the menu overhaul, but since the Reunion in 7th Heaven is version R03e, it's severely outdated which makes me think this is the particular issue here.

Idubaren

• View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: 2019-06-07 22:08:22 »

I'm using reunion from 7th heaven catalog, this happened earlier with the _bc.exe and it also happens with the _mo-exe i see on your pic you are not using menu overhaul, I use it because i have that problem with the resolution that gives me weird things with the text when i try to play on high ress, so perhaps it's a thing of that mod then...

DXLelouch153

• View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: 2019-06-07 22:32:43 »
Yo I'm new here, but I don't really interact with the site much
Fantastic mod btw, but I've run into a snag.
I'm in Northern Crater but nothing I try is getting me past Tyrant (I'm considering using a no damage cheat)
 I get to his dumb berserk phase but then no matter what I do I just die to his absurd damage, even having Barret as tank and using sadness doesn't work (yes I dispelled him, but he still kicked my ass)
So just tell me on detail how to deal with this pls so I can move onto the other content
« Last Edit: 2019-06-07 22:36:22 by DXLelouch153 »

Axel Firestorm

• View Profile
« Reply #8010 on: 2019-06-08 03:16:45 »
I tried the installer, but it only made the values even farther off from the original. Then I saw what you said about it being made for ff7.exe. I've been using ff7_mo.exe because I use menu overhaul, so I after uninstalling and reinstalling the game again, I tried ff7.exe to see what would happen. It loaded the vanilla values just fine without using your installer, but when I go through ff7.mo.exe, it uses the values from before I first tried the installer. I don't know why it would be different, though. Thanks for trying to help, and I hope that installer works for some people. I might've made a mistake in thinking NT was causing the problem when it might in fact have been MO, though I don't know why that would be. I wasn't aware it changed any gameplay values, I thought it was merely a graphical mod. Anyway, thanks again for trying to help.

Any word on a translation-only version of NT with vanilla gameplay? Preferably with the modern progression for the spell names (Fire/Fira/Firaga, that sort of thing)?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: 2019-06-08 03:35:22 »
Yo I'm new here, but I don't really interact with the site much
Fantastic mod btw, but I've run into a snag.
I'm in Northern Crater but nothing I try is getting me past Tyrant (I'm considering using a no damage cheat)
 I get to his dumb berserk phase but then no matter what I do I just die to his absurd damage, even having Barret as tank and using sadness doesn't work (yes I dispelled him, but he still kicked my ass)
So just tell me on detail how to deal with this pls so I can move onto the other content

Spoiler: show

Your best bet is to use a slow ATB setting and open with Slow, then Hasting your party. A cover tank can soak up the physicals he uses early on and use counter-attacks to rack up more damage but have an antidote ready for dual-drain. Your other two characters should be prepared to go gung-ho with magic and/or physicals; use earth element attacks like Break, Quake3, and Earth + Elemental.

If you find you can't bring this guy down in time, then a trick you can do is use Reflect + All on the party and then use Quake3 + All on the party; this bounces the spell at him 3 times with no power loss on the cast. Physicals can also be boosted using Mug + Added Cut if you don't have 2x-Cut.

I did a quick video running through the boss with an old save:
https://youtu.be/wu_nvU3lpgw

I tried the installer, but it only made the values even farther off from the original. Then I saw what you said about it being made for ff7.exe. I've been using ff7_mo.exe because I use menu overhaul, so I after uninstalling and reinstalling the game again, I tried ff7.exe to see what would happen. It loaded the vanilla values just fine without using your installer, but when I go through ff7.mo.exe, it uses the values from before I first tried the installer. I don't know why it would be different, though. Thanks for trying to help, and I hope that installer works for some people. I might've made a mistake in thinking NT was causing the problem when it might in fact have been MO, though I don't know why that would be. I wasn't aware it changed any gameplay values, I thought it was merely a graphical mod. Anyway, thanks again for trying to help.

Any word on a translation-only version of NT with vanilla gameplay? Preferably with the modern progression for the spell names (Fire/Fira/Firaga, that sort of thing)?

I wouldn't have thought ff7_mo.exe would be ding it either, so I guess that's that solved.

I'm going to try and have a NT vanilla set up for Sunday.

Axel Firestorm

• View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: 2019-06-08 03:38:03 »
Cool, looking forward to it! :)

DXLelouch153

• View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: 2019-06-08 03:38:38 »
Thx I'll try this out after this ff14 stream and report back
Edit:It Worked thx
« Last Edit: 2019-06-08 08:58:06 by DXLelouch153 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: 2019-06-08 16:31:12 »
I messed up, the previous default restore I posted had some modified files in it; this one is fixed: https://mega.nz/#!3lkyiIIR!EPGw-Lx0orVTafvoLZSXNaXw1cgGneyC3GJHitt6Q9o

And this is the Main Installer for a special version of NT that uses vanilla enemies/kernel:
https://mega.nz/#!L8MFESKY!SCNN_r0HC1eEPCnO7tkN07SiJMzGfe5AeZuNgktrMGM

IRO version of it:
https://mega.nz/#!GlVhRIYI!QDvB7Wvs-mtK8kM8WVNhr8Pm40fUsj97QFJiFmY8_AA

Field scripts were adjusted to remove all NT-specific extra encounters. Equipment that relied on those encounters was added to their original locations and will be obtained on top of what is ordinarily there for NT (for instance, picking up the Scimitar on the Gelnika will also give a Conformer).

Most of the NT scripts are still intact, but Dark Cave, Junon Leagues, Extra Battle, and some others were disabled as they rely on NT enemies/formations. The only battle that was retained from NT was the Yuffie recruitment fight as it would have been more hassle to change the field scripting in this case. Rank Up is also intact and can be used for sources but considering the balancing of the vanilla game, this will likely make you overpowered.

Also realised while typing that Enemy Skill will be missing, I'll quickly update the files just now. Updated.

Edit: Thanks to J. T. and D. M. for the donations; here's a...Sephirett? Barriroth?
« Last Edit: 2019-06-08 18:50:06 by Sega Chief »

Jonesin4Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: 2019-06-09 02:49:56 »
Any luck with my issue with Clouds ranks staying at 1/8?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: 2019-06-09 11:13:44 »
Any luck with my issue with Clouds ranks staying at 1/8?

I can't replicate the issue on the current files, you're sure you've updated?

Jonesin4Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: 2019-06-09 11:17:12 »
Unless you've updated it in the last week then it's the IRO from page 1 of this thread,   loading through 7th Heaven,   how do I go about updating it,    and will it fix itself on the next rank up if I do?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: 2019-06-09 14:32:33 »
Unless you've updated it in the last week then it's the IRO from page 1 of this thread,   loading through 7th Heaven,   how do I go about updating it,    and will it fix itself on the next rank up if I do?

It increments the variable by 1 so if it displays 1/8 two times in a row then it's busted, but it will say 1/8 the first time when you load the new patch because the variable in your save map is currently set to 0.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-09 14:34:18 by Sega Chief »

Idubaren

• View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: 2019-06-09 16:23:48 »
I think I'll start a new run of the game, I don't mind since I'm loving the mod so far and starting again is not a big deal :)

circle

• View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: 2019-06-10 07:26:57 »
I'm near the end of the game now and I've really enjoyed it so far, but I'm a little bit annoyed that all of the materia in the materia caves is hidden behind superbosses that I have no idea how to defeat. Any tips on taking them down? I think the mechanics of these fights are beyond my knowledge of the game, I've tried fighting two of them and both of them just had some moves that seemed unbeatable (9999 and blowing the character out of the fight, the Cactuars status effect that doesn't go away)

Additional question: do the new threat sidequests have similar fights?

toopz

• View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: 2019-06-10 09:54:32 »
hey is there way to change arrange difficulty to normal type? played 10h and game starts to feel bit too hard :D

LeOsTyLe

• View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: 2019-06-10 10:18:26 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KQvd7Dfkro&list=PL3B-NAl8G2fNqqQt3iSZTUOtBJ2ITDCLe

This gamer recorded almost all bossfights on arrange mode. In the description in every video he tell the weaknesses of th ebosses, what you need to know of the move pool of the boss and with which tactic he defeat them.

When you want save time, dont make them before you have access to the Planet Materia. This help much. I personaly only got Multicut, Quadra Magic and Mega All and come back for the rest after the crater.

In my opinion lvl 4 Limit Sidequests are by far easier as the materia guards. But there are other super bosses which are similar strong some weaker some stronger them the materia guards. When you fight strong bosses its total normaly you die first time or severel times. You need to learn how to fight them. Or just look the videos i linked you. Till stronger you are till less preapation you need.

Edit: The only bosses there are not on the video (if i dont overseen one) are the fight for multicut materia
Spoiler: show
just protect everyone from sleep and when you can sneak attack + barrier + mega all is always good)
and the special boss fight in battle sqaure. There is nothing important to know about this fight.

By the way dont worry to much about hard bosses and your skills. I lost almost every bossfight in the story of cd1. And sometimes i even needed 10 tries. But i improved and got better understanding how fights works. In vanilla you dont need things like barrier, added effect combos, sneak attack, counter attack etc. just ribbon, 4x cut or round of the knights. In new threat you have to use such stuff. And when i defeated them, you will too. If they are too hard skip them and make them later. After i prepered in crater like collecting ap for materias the most bosses i skiped was jokes now.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-10 10:44:59 by LeOsTyLe »

Idubaren

• View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: 2019-06-10 13:14:02 »
I got a question Sega Chief: you get summon materia master level, however, you can only do one summon per battle with them, is this intended or?

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: 2019-06-10 17:14:32 »
I got a question Sega Chief: you get summon materia master level, however, you can only do one summon per battle with them, is this intended or?

Yes that is intended. Summons have a high base damage and apply status effect 100% of the time assuming the enemy can be affected. They are very powerful 1 per battle moves. You can still pair them with quad cast though.