Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837371 times)

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #7650 on: 2019-04-18 01:22:59 »

I did intend for all the builds to be viable but I don't think the mod's end-game was designed tightly enough to make it true in every case. But there's a lot of other factors like how the party is set up, the bosses themselves, etc. You can definitely beat all of them regardless of build/party but some will make it tougher than others.

Considering I have beaten Arrange with 0 rank ups and only 2 materia per character at any given time, with no w-item glitch and no using KOTR and still managed to beat everything except the Gold saucer extra battles and Ozma I'd say that pretty much every fight is balanced properly for any player to beat. If you are just trying standard vanilla strats or you refuse to switch up your equipment or party when you get to a hard part then you need to take a closer look at your playstyle. A "good" FF7 player who can critically think and adapt will find very little things in the mod that provide a challenge.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: 2019-04-18 14:11:08 »
Hello! Sega Chief, I found a way for unlimited sources  :-[

If I reset SP ranks to 1/8, my stats are the same (They don't change from 8/8 to 1/8) so if I go to 8/8 again, I'll have max stats (If I do it a few times)

The rank reset function on the Highwind doesn't reset stats because it isn't possible to do with the fieldscript (at least, not the normal fieldscript). The purpose of that reset was to debug an issue that came up with the variables used to track ranks in an older update a fair few months ago, but as a side-effect it meant allowing more sources than intended being made available. The script issue with rank tracking has been resolved since then but save files that had already used the rank system at that time needed to have their vars 'flushed' in order to fix it.

There's no restriction on using the debug script, I left it to player discretion rather than implementing any kind of check for whether it had already been used (or needed to be used); the script will probably be removed soon though as the issue it was designed to fix has probably been caught on anyone affected by now.

SmallBaguette

• View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: 2019-04-19 11:23:10 »
Sega chief, you are an absolute legend. I just wanted to say thanks, I absolutely love this mod.

I have wanted to mod FF7 for years but the background textures were always a deal breaker. The new AI ones have finally fixed that and I got diving into New Threat. So many moments have had me laughing out loud and the boss fights actually have me using items that I'd normal "save for when I need them" and end up using in the final fight just because they were there (or not use them at all). I just got to Costa Del Sol but I have having an absolute blast.

Huge shout out to this entire community in general. I feel so lucky to come along now, after these mods have matured so much, for the first time and experience my favourite game of all time in a completely fresh way. I feel like a child again, I don't think I've been this happy playing a game in years.

Thank you so much. Seriously, I can't properly describe how much fun I'm having!!

soschronotek

• View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: 2019-04-19 11:25:02 »
i'm playing on switch, everything seems to be going great but now that I have arrived at the moment to go down into sephiroths cave, when i reach the bottom, I instantly get teleported to the chocobo room on the highwind...not sure what to do

soschronotek

• View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: 2019-04-19 11:27:57 »
hmm, seems to happen only if cloud isn't leader

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: 2019-04-19 13:50:46 »
Sega chief, you are an absolute legend. I just wanted to say thanks, I absolutely love this mod.

I have wanted to mod FF7 for years but the background textures were always a deal breaker. The new AI ones have finally fixed that and I got diving into New Threat. So many moments have had me laughing out loud and the boss fights actually have me using items that I'd normal "save for when I need them" and end up using in the final fight just because they were there (or not use them at all). I just got to Costa Del Sol but I have having an absolute blast.

Huge shout out to this entire community in general. I feel so lucky to come along now, after these mods have matured so much, for the first time and experience my favourite game of all time in a completely fresh way. I feel like a child again, I don't think I've been this happy playing a game in years.

Thank you so much. Seriously, I can't properly describe how much fun I'm having!!

I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far; your post cheered me up a bit.

i'm playing on switch, everything seems to be going great but now that I have arrived at the moment to go down into sephiroths cave, when i reach the bottom, I instantly get teleported to the chocobo room on the highwind...not sure what to do

hmm, seems to happen only if cloud isn't leader

I think there's a problematic script that was used a ways back to get people unstuck in the Crater when playing as Tifa/Cid. I thought I'd removed it, but sounds like it's still firing. Only Cloud should be used for the North Crater for now until I can fix it up.

SmallBaguette

• View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: 2019-04-19 15:29:50 »
If I cheered you up then that's just 1% of the joy you brought into my life haha. Is there anyway a randomer like myself can help out? Do you have a donation link? Or any mod related work that needs another set of hands?

Btw, what is "arranged" mode? I got to the point where you meet the guy at the gold saucer railcar that says you can change to that mode (and there's no going back) but it doesn't really explain it. I tried googling it but all I got was people kinda talking about it, rather than a specific answer to what it is. As far as I've gather it's like a heightened difficulty mode? So far I've been finding the difficulty much more engaging and enjoyable, although I've only died once. So should I go for that mode? I enjoy the more difficult modes in games but I'm not sure just how much more difficult that mode would be? Like would I be going from a 1 to a 10 or a 5 to a 10? (if that makes sense haha).

Thanks again, hope you're having a great weekend. I really can't thank you enough.

ustanak_tr00

• View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: 2019-04-19 18:28:48 »
hey there... just downloaded the mod but i have some issues, the game launcher doesnt launch the ff7 game (i'm using a cracked steam version), the launcher does nothing when i press play (in the task manager i can see the ff7_en.exe just open and close when i click the play button)

what i did to install and play:
1-made a backup of the data folder
2-run the mod installer as admin
3-mod installed without problems
4-run the game launcher
5-problems...

Buy the game before you ask for help. All mods here are built around legit copies. ~ EQ2Alyza
« Last Edit: 2019-04-20 01:15:48 by EQ2Alyza »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: 2019-04-20 02:22:21 »
If I cheered you up then that's just 1% of the joy you brought into my life haha. Is there anyway a randomer like myself can help out? Do you have a donation link? Or any mod related work that needs another set of hands?

Btw, what is "arranged" mode? I got to the point where you meet the guy at the gold saucer railcar that says you can change to that mode (and there's no going back) but it doesn't really explain it. I tried googling it but all I got was people kinda talking about it, rather than a specific answer to what it is. As far as I've gather it's like a heightened difficulty mode? So far I've been finding the difficulty much more engaging and enjoyable, although I've only died once. So should I go for that mode? I enjoy the more difficult modes in games but I'm not sure just how much more difficult that mode would be? Like would I be going from a 1 to a 10 or a 5 to a 10? (if that makes sense haha).

Thanks again, hope you're having a great weekend. I really can't thank you enough.

Arrange was intended to be a slight hike in difficulty + some fights remixed for a 2nd runthrough of the mod. It'd be like going from a 1 to a 2 or 3 I guess. Normal mode is more stable and you don't miss out on anything playing one mode over the other.

I'm currently working on a final update to the mod which has a heavily revised arrange mode in it, so I'd wait for that to drop before trying Arrange mode and stick with the current mode.

SmallBaguette

• View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: 2019-04-20 11:53:25 »
Arrange was intended to be a slight hike in difficulty + some fights remixed for a 2nd runthrough of the mod. It'd be like going from a 1 to a 2 or 3 I guess. Normal mode is more stable and you don't miss out on anything playing one mode over the other.

I'm currently working on a final update to the mod which has a heavily revised arrange mode in it, so I'd wait for that to drop before trying Arrange mode and stick with the current mode.

Perfect! Looking forward to it.

ustanak_tr00

• View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: 2019-04-21 00:45:22 »
just bought the game, installed the mod like before and it still doesn't works

Maverick4031

• View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: 2019-04-21 13:44:06 »
heya segachief. so im trying to figure out how im supposed to get the chocobo-related enemy skill? l4 suicide not being a thing anymore is kinda throwing me off. matter of fact....any chance you could update your documents to reflect most recent builds? there seem to be a few inconsistencies lol. at any rate i appreciate you and your work and i noticed you finally added the ability to choose whether aerith lives or dies. well done.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: 2019-04-21 17:44:32 »
just bought the game, installed the mod like before and it still doesn't works

Best thing to do is delete all files from the FF7 folder, do an uninstall on Steam's end to get the registry sorted, then install it in a location that's outside of program folders (these are system protected and can create problems). After fresh install, try running the game as-is to make sure it's operational.

Run the installer as admin/unblocked as you did before, selecting the FF7 folder rather than the data folder (older tutorials ask for data folder but the new installer needs to get at the .exe).

Mod needs the following files for Steam version:
ff7/data/lang-en/battle/scene.bin
ff7/data/lang-en/kernel/kernel.bin + kernel2.bin
ff7/data/Field/flevel.lgp + char.lgp
ff7/ff7_en.exe

If game won't run after installing the mod, but was running without the mod installed, then try dropping in the default version of each file one at a time and attempting to run the game. This will help isolate the cause of the problem.

The .exe for Steam should be 6272KB in size; if it's larger/smaller then something isn't right. The mod will work with a default ff7_en.exe but you'll get less sources than you would normally (though the mod can be beaten without any sources at all).

heya segachief. so im trying to figure out how im supposed to get the chocobo-related enemy skill? l4 suicide not being a thing anymore is kinda throwing me off. matter of fact....any chance you could update your documents to reflect most recent builds? there seem to be a few inconsistencies lol. at any rate i appreciate you and your work and i noticed you finally added the ability to choose whether aerith lives or dies. well done.

It should work as before, the chocobo checks for the ID of the attack rather than the name/purpose of it and the skill should hit any chocobo in its current state. I think you still need to use Mimitt or Sylkis Greens though to set it up, then hit them with the Enemy Skill that replaced L4 Suicide.

Maverick4031

• View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: 2019-04-22 02:08:18 »
does it still have to be a certain level chocobo? cuz i hit a level 15 with the move and it only pissed it off lol.

Fewtch

• All good things in time
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #7664 on: 2019-04-22 10:48:50 »
Hey Sega Chief

Do you keep a list of which models/textures you've added as part of your mod? IE: Yellow/Black Relentless X-ATM boss we all know and love, as well as Curator etc
I'm assuming as an organized guy, you do. Would you be willing to share that list with us?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7665 on: 2019-04-22 11:51:08 »
does it still have to be a certain level chocobo? cuz i hit a level 15 with the move and it only pissed it off lol.

Should work on any chocobo from any area, but I tested this on the Ranch ones; use Mimitt or Sylkis greens on the chocobo first, then while it's eating hit it with any attack. Mimitt only lasts for 1 turn though, so after throwing the first it's best to have a second turn queued up ready to throw a second just in case it's turn is used to cancel the eating animation (it has to be in its eating animation when the attack lands). I checked the AI and it seems that it no longer checks for an attack ID, just that it's attacked while eating Mimitt or Sylkis Greens and will use chocobuckle on the attacker, so have the character with enemy skill equipped attack physically or throw a grenade or something.

Hey Sega Chief

Do you keep a list of which models/textures you've added as part of your mod? IE: Yellow/Black Relentless X-ATM boss we all know and love, as well as Curator etc
I'm assuming as an organized guy, you do. Would you be willing to share that list with us?

Yeah, of course. I'll start on a list now. Mostly all the new models start after the last battle model in the default .lgp but in the early days I replaced some of the duplicates that appear throughout the archive so I'll need to check through the whole thing.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: 2019-04-22 16:19:57 »
Here's the list; note that it contains spoilers so read at own risk:

https://pastebin.com/pssLJQit

All told there are 141 new models in there but some are unused as they were either cut during an update or never implemented.

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #7667 on: 2019-04-22 17:23:52 »
Ugh, you're the absolute best, thank you! Doing something fairly cool with this list, if all goes well I think you'll be happy!

EDIT: My labor has borne fruit!
« Last Edit: 2019-04-22 20:15:44 by Fewtch »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: 2019-04-22 21:19:07 »
That's a nice clean-looking palette swap; I could try adding a toggle to the NT IRO so that they can be used with a graphical enemy replacer mod or something.

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #7669 on: 2019-04-22 21:42:57 »
That's a nice clean-looking palette swap; I could try adding a toggle to the NT IRO so that they can be used with a graphical enemy replacer mod or something.

Thank you. Working at replacing all the models with HD versions and your customs needed a little love!

soschronotek

• View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: 2019-04-23 14:56:19 »
I'm currently going thru the dark cave side quest from dio on 1.5, I've gathered up everyone and went back into the sewers, the area where cid and the boss were has been replaced by a car, and I got  stuck down there, had to restart from last save..
« Last Edit: 2019-04-23 15:29:50 by soschronotek »

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #7671 on: 2019-04-23 17:13:29 »
Hello.
I'd like to use the Chaos models with your  NT mod.
I know that in combat you've done lots of special models, but outside battle are you using custom 3d model or only the originals one (so i can use yours in battle and chaos outside battle ^^) ?

Thanks

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: 2019-04-23 19:53:20 »
I'm currently going thru the dark cave side quest from dio on 1.5, I've gathered up everyone and went back into the sewers, the area where cid and the boss were has been replaced by a car, and I got  stuck down there, had to restart from last save..

Sounds like a bug, a car was originally used as a placeholder for a hundred gunner model. Avoid going back down to the sewers after clearing it the first time and instead head for Wall Market to climb the wire up to Shinra HQ.

Hello.
I'd like to use the Chaos models with your  NT mod.
I know that in combat you've done lots of special models, but outside battle are you using custom 3d model or only the originals one (so i can use yours in battle and chaos outside battle ^^) ?

Thanks

The field models that were added to NT should be fine, as I've relocated them to use their own unique file IDs so feel free to add any field model mods. The majority of the battle models should also be fine as they mostly use unique IDs as well; some are further up but these replaced duplicate models and should hopefully be fine as well.

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #7673 on: 2019-04-23 20:28:54 »
So I've finally taken a gander at just how many custom models you've made and, Ive gotta tell you, theres no way way Im gonna take the time to make that many custom models. Its insane that you even did it in the first place!
That being said, this will likely be the end of my contribution on that subject:
https://imgur.com/a/fycdBd3

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: 2019-04-23 21:59:13 »
So I've finally taken a gander at just how many custom models you've made and, Ive gotta tell you, theres no way way Im gonna take the time to make that many custom models. Its insane that you even did it in the first place!
That being said, this will likely be the end of my contribution on that subject:
https://imgur.com/a/fycdBd3

Yeah, I wouldn't ask anyone to tackle all that; better to focus on base models. I can probably add damage details to that scorp you made.