Author Topic: Feature requests for the next Bootleg release  (Read 26295 times)

hgdagon

• View Profile
Re: Feature requests for the next Bootleg release
« Reply #25 on: 2014-06-29 18:03:18 »
1) Rewrite the whole Bootleg in INNO Setup (Or any other programmable environment).
2) Make use of FreeArc (INNO Setup Script already available, but can be easily implemented into virtually anything), to save more space.

Example of magochocobo_ff7pack3.rar: This file actually has the same folder packed twice, which is again a waste of space

Original Size:    415 MB
Packed with FreeArc: 186 MB
Proof

P.S. Without the duplicate folder it would've been ~100 MB less

I also experimented with Upscaled Magic  files (data.7z.001 - data.7z.006 ), since it also has a moderate filesize. The results aren't as good as the one mention above, because 7z is already quite strong compression.

Size of 6 files together: 545 MB
Packed with FreeArc: 539 MB
Proof

I think FreeArc would be good for those big rar/zip files.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-06-29 19:08:11 »
Keeping that in mind. However, we cannot compress any mod that is not in the Bootleg's main executable, since the users download the mods from their creators. It's up to the mods creators to do that, and we will of course adapt it.

As for the rewriting, that's been a to-do since forever, but neither PitBrat or myself are good enough to do anything other than in batch (and now that PitBrat can no longer work on it, it got worse).

fladimir_hokage

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-07-02 19:16:46 »
Reunion mod can be included?
Another question that will be long before we have a new version of the bootleg?
Thank you: D

hgdagon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2014-07-03 00:00:55 »
As for the rewriting, that's been a to-do since forever, but neither PitBrat or myself are good enough to do anything other than in batch (and now that PitBrat can no longer work on it, it got worse).
Well I have INNO scripting skills (which is basically Pascal), but I'm also busy with other projects at the moment. I can make a demo GUI in INNO (Or maybe Delphi, if Freearc is completely vetoed) when I'm free and send send it to you to see if you like it...

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-07-03 01:14:11 »
I never worked with INNO. Take note that the GUI part is not even 10% of Bootleg. The whole Bootleg process is currently written in batch but the GUI is written in VB.NET. PitBrat was looking to merge both in one language while I was looking to keep code and GUI separated. At this point either is fine, it depends on the coders (which are way more skilled than me and PitBrat).

hgdagon

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2014-07-03 14:37:00 »
I never worked with INNO. Take note that the GUI part is not even 10% of Bootleg.
Yes, but as far as I imagine, it can't go further than archive extracting,copying, registry keys, right?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-07-03 15:01:27 »
It does that and much more. Just to give you an idea, there are 10.5 thousand lines of code only for the Bootleg process. In the current states of things it could be reduced to about 7-8k but a complete rewrite is in order to shrink it further. I personally don't want to keep the current code for the next version, because it's not easy to add new mods right now, and the code is really hard to understand for someone else than me or PitBrat (because we've worked so much on it). What would be great is something that many people are coding and that anyone with minimum coding knowledge can understand or even edit (was thinking of setting up a GitHub for that).

TL;DR - yes it extracts/copy and edits registry keys but it also makes the mods work together.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 2014-07-03 15:03:54 »
It does that and much more. Just to give you an idea, there are 10.5 thousand lines of code only for the Bootleg process. In the current states of things it could be reduced to about 7-8k but a complete rewrite is in order to shrink it further. I personally don't want to keep the current code for the next version, because it's not easy to add new mods right now, and the code is really hard to understand for someone else than me or PitBrat (because we've worked so much on it). What would be great is something that many people are coding and that anyone with minimum coding knowledge can understand or even edit (was thinking of setting up a GitHub for that).

TL;DR - yes it extracts/copy and edits registry keys but it also makes the mods work together.

If someone finds 4 sentences to be TL:DR, then I don't think they should be editing/adding code for us :-P

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-07-03 15:11:44 »
...Good point. Don't mind me, I'm just being a derp :P

hgdagon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-07-04 12:27:51 »
yes it extracts/copy and edits registry keys but it also makes the mods work together.

Sounds a bit more complex than I thought, but achievable. But since I don't know when I'll be free, I would vote for GitHub.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-07-04 14:54:04 »
Sounds a bit more complex than I thought, but achievable. But since I don't know when I'll be free, I would vote for GitHub.

You wrote for the GIthub in PPSSPP? Shit man, good work.

itx

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-07-13 14:04:15 »
hi! how is going the next bootleg release? a lot of work yet?

just asking because i want play ff7 again, and depending of your answer, i'll wait for next release or not hehe

thx for your work!!

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-07-13 14:16:16 »
Don't wait for the next release. The next Bootleg release is undergoing a rewriting-from-scratch process which is long, and it is yet impossible for me to say a release date.

itx

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-07-13 14:17:44 »
ok! thx for your work again

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-07-14 06:48:17 »
Please kick out that one Yuffie-Model that causes that battle-glitch.
It's beautiful but there were way too many threads about "Yuffie doing nothing" in the recent past.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2014-07-14 11:45:06 »
Noted.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-07-14 14:25:37 »
Please kick out that one Yuffie-Model that causes that battle-glitch.
It's beautiful but there were way too many threads about "Yuffie doing nothing" in the recent past.

If someone can send me the model, it shouldn't take much to fix it.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-07-14 17:38:19 »
Psh, could do with a better Vincent model that doesn't use rifle animations with handguns. 

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-07-14 19:08:50 »
Psh, could do with a better Vincent model that doesn't use rifle animations with handguns.
These are both the fault of whoever did the models.  Yuffie has a playable character and enemy character files, but they are not interchangeable (outside of the .p files and tex files).  Barret and Vincent both have 4 separate models which are also not interchangeable.  Whoever edited these models copy pasted all the parts which is why you're getting these weird animations.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-07-14 20:24:53 »
These are both the fault of whoever did the models.  Yuffie has a playable character and enemy character files, but they are not interchangeable (outside of the .p files and tex files).  Barret and Vincent both have 4 separate models which are also not interchangeable.  Whoever edited these models copy pasted all the parts which is why you're getting these weird animations.

Whoever it was...i'm gonna find them...take my cait sith and strangle them. *-* Bad enough the Vincent ballerina fix didn't work. xD

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-07-17 16:58:12 »
I guess you will include all the latest Team Avalanche releases, like Guard Scorpion, Sweper, etc...?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-07-17 17:27:53 »
As I already said, all new mods are going to be included.

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2014-07-17 17:35:11 »
Please cut this one Yuffie model (grimmy's afair) that causes that infamous "Yuffie doesn't do anything"-bug.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-07-17 19:28:44 »
You already reported it, but thanks for specifying which model it was; that was unclear.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 2014-07-17 19:46:48 »
I guess you will include all the latest Team Avalanche releases, like Guard Scorpion, Sweper, etc...?

Those models are already in Bootleg040.

Please cut this one Yuffie model (grimmy's afair) that causes that infamous "Yuffie doesn't do anything"-bug.

No offense to anyone, but we need to stick to the theme of this topic --- feature requests. That is a bug report, and we have a separate topic to report bugs. Asking to get rid of a mod shouldn't be requested either because every mod option is still a choice. Simply report the bug and don't choose the option until it's fixed.